Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 11:20   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Nope. Was sitting at home the whole while. And my car isn't even in town. Its in coimby. Yes, I do hear a lot about this other car. Apparently he is copying almost everything on my car. Same alloys, same coloured tints. I am told perhaps similar stickers too. So anyone who spots a silver baleno with black alloys going berserk on the streets do keep it in mind thats its not me and people should stop calling me a liar saying I am at places I am not . And benny you are not the first one.
OFF_TOPIC :
Good that you clarified. Literally a replica.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Got down and asked the cops why they werent stopping the maniac bus drivers who were definitely not doing 60 or below. Made them stop at least 6-7 buses before I paid my fine.
Have done it many times. Cops will never stop offending buses/cabs/autos (i guess due to the hafta they get), but will stop and demand hefty fines from private cars even for small offenses.

I always make it a point to stand with them for 15 minutes and make them stop other vehicles. Many times they have even let me go because of this ;-)

\N
Old 6th June 2007, 11:46   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Isnt there a rule of 10% tolerence applicable, i think you can also ask to see the proof.
10% tolerance rule is there where the aim of fines is to discipline traffic. For example when in california, in 65mph zone entire traffic was at 70-75. Driving at 65 in such a traffic is dangerous. Cops were ignoring it because 70-75 is safe in such traffic. Only people who were cutting through lanes and doing 80mph+ are stopped.
Here you have somebody doing 81kmph or 82kmph in a 80kmph zone being fined 900rs, and somebody doing 50kmph in the fast lane(very very dangerous in a high speed zone) being let go scott free.
The reason for this is that Delhi Police see fines as a mean of paying their salaries, and not a means of saving lives.
If latter were true, the endless stream of trucks without functioning indicators and tail lights which roam the streets at night would be challaned.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th June 2007 at 12:11.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:53   #49
BANNED

Reading the title, I thought you had a puncture on your Safari

Can't blame the police for doing their job. Its another matter that they don't always do their job.

On a similar note, a few weeks ago I was fined Rs. 1100 for using a mobile while driving and this was with a bluetooth headset. Both the constable and the SI were very polite and requested me to keep the phone in silent mode or switch it off in the interest of my safety. Worst case, I could park on the side after a few minutes and return the call.

I got a receipt for the fine and had no issues paying the fine - I violated the law and paid for it.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:08   #50
BANNED

Ha ha looks like early diwali for cops this year! Even I got caught yesterday by havaldar for having loud muffler as I am having freeflow. But I convince him that sound is because the muffler broke on the speedbreaker and the National Garage is not taking the car appointment for another 10 days. I fired him that on one side BMC is breaking my car on other side you are fining me and aam aadmis like me are getting stuck in the middle. After 5 mins he let me go
Old 6th June 2007, 13:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
10% tolerance rule is there where the aim of fines is to discipline traffic. For example when in california, in 65mph zone entire traffic was at 70-75. Driving at 65 in such a traffic is dangerous. Cops were ignoring it because 70-75 is safe in such traffic. Only people who were cutting through lanes and doing 80mph+ are stopped.
Here you have somebody doing 81kmph or 82kmph in a 80kmph zone being fined 900rs, and somebody doing 50kmph in the fast lane(very very dangerous in a high speed zone) being let go scott free.
The reason for this is that Delhi Police see fines as a mean of paying their salaries, and not a means of saving lives.
If latter were true, the endless stream of trucks without functioning indicators and tail lights which roam the streets at night would be challaned.
Absolutely.... they give a dammm to the safety and discipline on the roads, else they wouldn't be hiding behind the bushes looking for their next "prey". The buses seems to have been free rein to speed and drive dangerously... money seems to be the end all of everything, everything else to be dammed including lives of people. Where are we headed...
Old 6th June 2007, 14:28   #52
BHPian

same here .. Yesterday saw 5-6 ppl ( at DND flyover) getting into fight with cops over speeding tickets ... not that it helped :(
Since i am learing to drive i am not over 50-60 any way ... but i agree for some roads like ring roads the limit should be more that that ..

i have heard about one sensor called cobra ... it detects all kinds of speed radar .. one of my frnds started getting lots of speed tickets ... after installing that it just gives a beep when ever he is any way near by the those things .. what do u guys say ...
Old 6th June 2007, 14:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a fundamental difference in the approach to driving in India, as compared to say, the US. There people are courteous and pretty disciplined to begin with... the cops are around to make sure that they stay this way. Here, on the other hand, aggressiveness is the motto of most of the drivers. There is no courtesy (some exceptions in the hills and on highways), and people take some kind of sadistic pleasure in making the other motorists suffer.
Like someone already said, a stiff fine is a good way to force people to behave.

The only thing is, the authorities should be more transparent about their dealings and laws.
For example, there are scant few signboards in Calcutta stating the speed limit of a road. Yet, I have known cops to pull people over for driving "fast". Unless the limits are CLEARLY mentioned, they have no right pulling anyone over. It's a technicality, yes, but a damn valid one.
Old 6th June 2007, 16:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I got fined 400rs long time back for doing 82kmph, in a 80kmph zone, beat that.
I was doing 130, saw these guys, and after a quick look in the rear view mirror sat on the brakes, smoking the tires all the way till the radar van, and hearing the loudspeaker chap cheerfully announcing "82".
No use arguing. Maximum fine at that time was 400rs, instead of 900 now, and maximum is what they charge, whether you do 51 in a 50kmph zone or you do 151 in a 20kmph zone.

hey tanveer, I guess that time you didn't have that cobra thing which detects speed radar guns ?

How effective has it been in detecting radar guns ?
Old 6th June 2007, 22:16   #55
BHPian

I am sorry for your challan Suman.

I have seen so many times these policemen driving there old rickety gypies without seatbelts and riding 2 wheeler's without helmets. I guess we should also stop and call traffic police to challan them over there or take their pictures and mail them on the forum and to the local newspaper's.

Guess, it may help in teaching them a lesson.
Old 6th June 2007, 23:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Post Script: suman and the others who wrote about their experiences - my post above is in no way referring to you guys
it was a general observation i made about the overall traffic sense (or lack thereof) of people in our country.
and i do believe that when it comes to speeding, the cops should give people the +10% cushion.
Old 7th June 2007, 00:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that suman. Just think of it as a fine you had to pay for one of those crazy nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
But, if it was Rs.300, I would happily pay Rs.300 & taken the challan (reciept) from those greedy cops!
The Rs.300 you happily paid as fine will not hurt you as much to remind you not to over speed again, that is why it is called a penalty & not a thank offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
i was stripped off 400 bucks on a sunday morning about a year or so back. Chennai has this STUPID 40kmph rule everywhere!!! Who in their right minds would do 40kmph on a sunday morning on a 100ft road with no traffic?!

I suppose you were unlucky as was hrag. i was stopped once when i was coming off the busy padi junction & i explained that it was the pure exasperation of having to wait 25 minutes in a signal that made me go fast & i was 'adviced' & let off.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:09   #58
BHPian

Imagine having to give Rs 900 to cops. Look at how many advertisements Airtel/Reliance had to give for rs 900 lifetime card!!!

Suman I stay in South Ex and I'v seen those cops a lot of times there. To avoid them I generally take the INA/kidwai Nagar route to my home.

I wish to know that if the speed limit for Delhi is 50kmph the why doesnt our 'honest' judiciary and 'world famous' cops enforce a speed governor with a max speed of 50kmph on all vehicles registered in Delhi. Imagine the road situation if no vehicle in Delhi could move above 50kmph.

Also somebody tell me suppose Mr X is going in a stolen car. He is stopped for overspeeding. Mr X doesn't have 900 bucks or license and neither the car papers. Would he mind if the car gets towed?? What say guys??
Old 7th June 2007, 01:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Also somebody tell me suppose Mr X is going in a stolen car. He is stopped for overspeeding. Mr X doesn't have 900 bucks or license and neither the car papers. Would he mind if the car gets towed?? What say guys??
He he he. good example, but did you consider that this Mr. X will not stop for the police when he is driving a stolen car ?
Old 7th June 2007, 08:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Suman I stay in South Ex and I'v seen those cops a lot of times there. To avoid them I generally take the INA/kidwai Nagar route to my home.
Buddy, I came from INA side, was going towards Okhla, this is the route I normally follow if I come from Chanakyapuri - and this was early morning so I didn't expect them there. And the irony of it all was - I wasn't really speeding-speeding if you know what I mean.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sorry to hear that suman. Just think of it as a fine you had to pay for one of those crazy nights.
BINGO, John! That's how I've been consoling myself........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks