Team-BHP - Got nailed!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Got nailed! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/24796-got-nailed.html)

It looks like the "with you for you always" are on a fresh drive to catch us poor unsuspecting (:D) motorists and lighten our pockets! They got me this morning at a time & place I least expected them - 7.45 am coming off the AIIMS flyover, in front of the bus stop at South Ex.

There were about 8 or 10 of them gleefully pouncing on all & sundry and I saw & heard the activity too late to take evasive action (for those who know the area well, I came around the curve on to the main road and it was too late!!!). 3 of them were dancing in front of the truck making it impossible for me to duck around them lol! So I rolled down my window after pulling up and politely asked what the issue was - I was smilingly asked to produce my licence so I innocently asked why. The answer was a smiling "aap 67 speed pe chala rahe the, sirf 50 tak allowed hai".

So I equally smilingly told him that the truck doesn't even hit 60 but that didn't cut any ice with him. I told him that I wouldn't part with my licence, I was in a hurry, so could they please note down my number & let me go? The answer was, "No", 3 options, licence, fine (900 bucks) or the car gets towed.

In the meantime, one of them was getting aggressive (because I was inching the vehicle forward :p ) and he started raising his voice. So that pissed me off & I decided that I WASN'T going to grease their palms even if it meant money (as in the fine) DOWN THE DRAIN. So I shut the engine, got out and told the guy to speak politely, take the fine & wrap it up quickly. Of course that motivated him to try & create more issues - "yeh to photocopy hai, original rc kahan, original chahiye" etc etc. Anyway, since I was paying the fine, there was not much he could do so I paid the fine (jeez, 900 bucks for doing 67 kmph - as I was telling tsk, THAT HURT, I think I would have been happy if it was 120 that I was caught doing but 67!!! lol, lol) and then spent about 45 seconds telling them how utterly useless they were when it came to handling stuff that they were actually paid for........how they were TOTALLY ineffective when it came to controlling riots & arson (like the Gujjar situation yesterday) or controlling the killer call center cabs and when it came to cowardly tasks like hiding behind trees and catching motorists doing 67 kmph they were the tigers........and so on!

Anyway, they were getting even more pissed with me & I also didn't want to spoil my morning any further so with a final diesel FAAARRRT, I moved off towards my Office, 900 bucks lighter. I did see a couple of more points where they were prowling between South Ex & Okhla so just wanted to tell you guys to watch out over the next couple of days - they seem to have woken up again.

But 67 kmph - MY BLASTED LUCK!!!!

I got fined 400rs long time back for doing 82kmph, in a 80kmph zone, beat that.
I was doing 130, saw these guys, and after a quick look in the rear view mirror sat on the brakes, smoking the tires all the way till the radar van, and hearing the loudspeaker chap cheerfully announcing "82".
No use arguing. Maximum fine at that time was 400rs, instead of 900 now, and maximum is what they charge, whether you do 51 in a 50kmph zone or you do 151 in a 20kmph zone.

Bad luck suman... they seem to be pretty active on DND flyway too, but the limit over there is 80 kmph. Very surprising, I havent seen them even once, the place you mentioned.
New place, unsuspecting motorists, huge fine... this is India.

But how did they realize that it is 67 and not 66... I mean how do they measure????

Abhi

Quite right, the questions you put up before them, Suman. They are never around to do what they need to do, but making money is something they have a knack for.

The part about the truck not being able to do 67kmph was hilarious !!
That aside, better to be within prescribed speed limits.

Sad to hear that Suman but it's no use arguing with them, they are a bunch of monkeys anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 458268)
(for those who know the area well, I came around the curve on to the main road and it was too late!!!). 3 of them were dancing in front of the truck making it impossible for me to duck around them lol! So I rolled down my window after pulling up and politely asked what the issue was - I was smilingly asked to produce my licence so I innocently asked why. The answer was a smiling "aap 67 speed pe chala rahe the, sirf 50 tak allowed hai".

Ahahahahah memories!!! This is where I was caught my first time speeding. Year was 2001, the AIIMS flyover was still under contruction & so it was a restricted zone of 25kmph. And as expected I went through there doing 80kmph!!!! Got stopped at the South Ex red light though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 458268)
But 67 kmph - MY BLASTED LUCK!!!!

Last time I got caught I was doing 65kmph since I had seen the van a little late! but still they charged me 400 bucks with the police chappie going "Apka number plate fancy hai, uska bhi challan kar doon kya!!!" I just smiled and told him to bugger off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 458301)
Very surprising, I havent seen them even once, the place you mentioned.
New place, unsuspecting motorists, huge fine... this is India.

You said it.........a land of opportunities
Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 458309)
But how did they realize that it is 67 and not 66... I mean how do they measure????
Abhi

They get a digital reading, they show it to you for all that its worth!

You can even get a printout if you like.
At the flyover where suman got nailed, you will be run over by a truck if you dare to do anything less than 60 at night.

900 bucks for overspeeding???
Suman, I feel you have been fleeced by Delhi cops!
In Bangalore, the fine for Overspeeding is Rs.300
Check the Blore Traffic Police site here showing the spot fines: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Spot Fines ::

Every other country does allow a few kmph here and there. 10kmph lee-way should be there. It's ridiculous if they are catching for 1-2kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 458321)
Check the Blore Police website here showing the spot fines: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Spot Fines ::

Yeah, you guys are lucky - a few months back (there's even a thread on the forum), they upped the fines MAJORLY in Delhi; since it would take ages to modify the amounts through the proper judicial route, they slapped on a "compounding fee" of 500 bucks for EACH category of violation.

So, the overspeeding one which was 400 earlier is now 900 (400+500) - its all very legit and they collected a few crores in the first week or so when they implemented the new rates

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 458320)
At the flyover where suman got nailed, you will be run over by a truck if you dare to do anything less than 60 at night.

Heh-heh, very true and that's the tragedy of the whole thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 458336)
Yeah, you guys are lucky - a few months back (there's even a thread on the forum), they upped the fines MAJORLY in Delhi; since it would take ages to modify the amounts through the proper judicial route, they slapped on a "compounding fee" of 500 bucks for EACH category of violation.

So, the overspeeding one which was 400 earlier is now 900 (400+500) - its all very legit and they collected a few crores in the first week or so when they implemented the new rates

Not lucky that's exactly what we need a hefty fine. That's the only way bangalore traffic will improve.

Ok, so the speed thing is really silly. You cant be expecting to do 30kmph on the Sirsi circle flyover just cause there is a sign saying that. My driver paid fine of rs.300 for 120kmph in a 30kmph zone on the flyover.

They need to be more realistic. Here the problem is the Sumo/qualis and indica cabs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 458321)
Check the Blore Traffic Police site here showing the spot fines: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Spot Fines ::

It was 400 Rs but after a recent high court order the prices for all offences have been raised by 500 Rs, in order to "discipline" motorist into obeying rules, but as is the state of affairs the cops have used it to good effect to increase their earnings. If you were caught for a traffic offence previously you could get away by paying 100 or even 50 Rs... now they wont budge below 200-300 Rs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 458348)
Not lucky that's exactly what we need a hefty fine. That's the only way bangalore traffic will improve.

Not necessarily, hefty fines is ridiculous!
Tell me, how many of us will pay Rs.900 for overspeeding like what Suman did today?
Am sure, most of us (including me) will think twice or maybe thrice before coughing up Rs.900 and instead slipped in Rs.100 note to the cops & escaped!
But, if it was Rs.300, I would happily pay Rs.300 & taken the challan (reciept) from those greedy cops!

I dont think cops in bangalore are out yet with speed guns? Haven't seen them around.