Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2004, 17:16   #1
Sam
BHPian

Disturbing sights. / Something fishy - Tricks played on the road

I really sad scene occured last night on my way to Imax.
I was passing thru the road parallel to the dharawi road going towards sion coming from bandra.
This young guy runs across the road infront of my car and leans into the drivers window of the car beside me. He then starts running. For a minute i thought they knew each other. But i looked a again and see that the guys car has stopped in the middle of the road. The Car key was stolen!! This not only occured in really bad traffic but the car was still in motion.
I suppose they expected him to chase the guy while someone else would come with the key and drive it off. there must have been a plan coz another guy ran away with the first.

It was really shocking for me to see this when i thought that bombay was relatively safe. Car jackings are a common thing in South Africa, but i never thought things like this happened here.
The poor guy didnt even realise his key was stolen cos he was still wondering why his car was not moving. Then he had to get out and push the car out of the way. Now imagine his stearing locked!!

The lesson i learnt is to drive with my A/C on all the time. Flip man!!!
Old 24th April 2004, 17:35   #2
BHPian

Pretty unfortunate incident. Luckily such a thing has never happened to me cuz 99% of the time im using the AC but not for fear of somebody carjacking it but just cause its unable to bear mumbai heat.
Old 24th April 2004, 18:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

thats unbelievable maaan !!!!!!!!
quite shocking .....
yeah i have my windows rolled and ac on specially when passing thru stretches like dharavi and mankhurd becoz of the pollution.

but this is so damn unexpected !!!
Old 25th April 2004, 03:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow Sam,

You are right that i did not expect this type of car jacking in bombay (on the other hand even i immediately thought it was one of your south africa storied as they have tonnns of carjacking..i remember seeing that on some tv program)

Also just 2 days ago i got this fwd and i was thinking "hmmm....i wonder if dharavi is as bad as some other places when it comes to car theft"
here it is>
Outsourcing at its best! (a fwd)

Ferrari's F1 Team has fired its entire pit crew. The
announcement reads:

Ferrari has decided to take advantage of India's high
unemployment rate, and hire unemployed Indian youths
from Dharavi. The decision to hire them was brought on
by a recent documentary on how they were able to remove
a set of wheels from a car parked in the street in less than
6 seconds without proper equipment. Ferrari's erstwhile
crew took more than 8 seconds with the right equipment.

This was thought to be an excellent yet bold move by the
Ferrari management,and, as most races are won & lost in
the pits, Ferrari would have an advantage over every other
team.

However, Ferrari's expectations were exceeded, as during
the crew's first practice session; not only were 'da boyz' from
Bombay able to change the tyres in under 6 seconds, but
within 12 seconds had resprayed the car, filed off the chassis
number and sold the vehicle over to the McLaren Team !!

Thanks for the info as now i will not chase anyone who steals my car keys!!

Another thing that has been happening (around churchgate) is that whilst one person occupancy cars are stopped at signals, some guy somes and opens the passenger side door in front, leans in and hands the driver a paper asking for a signature or donation or something.....,
but what they are actually doing is distracting you and whilst u read/sign the paper they steal the bag/purse/cellphone that is usually dumped on the passenger seat in the front!!

Always locking doors is also a good idea no matter where and when you are travelling. (unless you are a truckwalla who needs to jump out
cya
R

Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2004, 13:38   #5
Sam
BHPian

Well I know about the distraction thing they do. And in south africa the "flame away" was patented. its the gizmo which when an assailant aproaches the car you have a pedal to push and big flames gush out from the sides of the car, roasting the mother F******* high jackers. Many of my friends cars have been high jacked. You should see our insurance premiums bcoz of this. Insurance companies demand that all saftey equipment be fitted before they insure, like: Immobilsers, autocop, Gear lock, steering lock, and sattelite tracking device, etc.
Talking bout "da boyz" from bombay, there was a test held in Johanesburg where they told some common thief that if he could steal the new BMW E36 with in 15 seconds its his. It was supposed to have the latest security system... he stole it in 6 seconds
Old 29th April 2004, 16:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

this is not new.
about 10 years ago i was making a left turn at the mahalaxmi temple (towards haji ali) on warden road at about 9am and while i had slowed (due to traffic) a guy tried to jump into my car (contessa at the time).

he looked like one of the "unemployed" or atleast "under employed" youths you see hanging around.

You can call it panic or quick thinking or luck but I immediately pulled my passenger door shut and reved my engine. that scared him enough for me to escape.

after that day i lock all my doors and insist my wife does the same when i drive.
Old 29th April 2004, 17:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

geez...so much for thinking Bombay is a safe place! Keeping my doors locked from now on...as well as a rod under the drivers seat! Just in case
Old 29th April 2004, 17:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Why can't they mount the key on the left side of the wheel ?
Old 29th April 2004, 18:21   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Why can't they mount the key on the left side of the wheel ?
You would have to buy the 118NE for that pal.

But on a more serious note, now that you mention it...I remember 90% of the cars I saw in the States had the key on the inside i.e. away from the door. I distinctly remember starting my LHD Accord with my right hand.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2004, 18:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

looks like things engineered for LHD - best to buy a Saab - key is next to gear lever or a Merc / Renault with the keyless go !!!!
Old 29th April 2004, 18:39   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]looks like things engineered for LHD - best to buy a Saab - key is next to gear lever or a Merc / Renault with the keyless go !!!!
Or my Jeep. Even with the keys, no one but me can manage to start her.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2004, 19:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 29 2004,17:09)]Or my Jeep. Even with the keys, no one but me can manage to start her.

GTO
hahaha...reminds me of my old Suzuki 450...nobody could start her 'cept me! It was fun watchin ppl breaking into a sweat tryin to start her. I let em kick about a dozen times before i feel sorry for em and start it with 1 kick! dont'ya love old vehicles!!
Old 25th February 2005, 19:35   #13
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
hahaha...reminds me of my old Suzuki 450...nobody could start her 'cept me! It was fun watchin ppl breaking into a sweat tryin to start her. I let em kick about a dozen times before i feel sorry for em and start it with 1 kick! dont'ya love old vehicles!!

I missed this one.
This reminds me of my friend's M800 one day when i was driving his car i didnt see a pothole so went through it suddenly i felt something fell on my legs so i just bend to pick it up and to my surprise it was the car key and the car is happily running at 40kmph. Then to give my friend a shock i kept it on the dashboard and he was surprise too...Well if the car is running without keys than what will the hi-jacker steal?
Old 25th February 2005, 23:31   #14
BANNED

coolio

cheerio Reahaan

thats an awesome post man

i think we could start our own team in that case with the entire set of dharavi boyz........
Old 26th February 2005, 00:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
I missed this one.
This reminds me of my friend's M800 one day when i was driving his car i didnt see a pothole so went through it suddenly i felt something fell on my legs so i just bend to pick it up and to my surprise it was the car key and the car is happily running at 40kmph. Then to give my friend a shock i kept it on the dashboard and he was surprise too...Well if the car is running without keys than what will the hi-jacker steal?
YEAHH! the same thing is in my '84 M800, you can start it, slip the key out and drive it for as long as u want hahaha. I know it needs a new lockset but i guess the newer 800 keylock does not fit into the ignition key, i have already changed the exterior door lock so i ended up with 2 keys. I hardly drive the car now so dont really care used to be my school ride a few years back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks