Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which State has the worst Highways in India?
Andhra Pradesh 18 2.11%
Arunachal Pradesh 4 0.47%
Assam 6 0.70%
Bihar 35 4.10%
Chhattisgarh 4 0.47%
Goa 3 0.35%
Gujarat 2 0.23%
Haryana 30 3.51%
Himachal Pradesh 5 0.59%
Jharkhand 3 0.35%
Karnataka 54 6.32%
Kerala 324 37.94%
Madhya Pradesh 15 1.76%
Maharashtra 244 28.57%
Manipur 2 0.23%
Meghalaya 1 0.12%
Mizoram 2 0.23%
Nagaland 7 0.82%
Odisha 4 0.47%
Punjab 5 0.59%
Rajasthan 3 0.35%
Sikkim 4 0.47%
Tamil Nadu 4 0.47%
Telangana 1 0.12%
Tripura 0 0%
Uttar Pradesh 28 3.28%
Uttarakhand 6 0.70%
West Bengal 40 4.68%
Voters: 854. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 13:00   #76
BHPian

Re: Which State has the worst Highways in India?

Voted for my state, Kerala with my limited driving experience across the country.

You pay hefty toll here just to drive from congestion to congestions and without getting any opportunity to use your top gear. N number of signals, cross roads , junctions and unscientifically placed U-turns! With the vehicle density, we need minimum 8 lanes as per NHAI statistics but living with 4. Ideally most of the signals / crossroads should have been covered with flyovers but sadly NO! Sometimes time spent at toll plazas just to pay toll (even with all these Fastags) is greater than time taken to cover the complete toll road. What a mess!
5252rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:02   #77
Team-BHP Support

Voted for Kerala.

A state where we cannot plan long journeys with the shortest routes in mind - but we take the route with the shortest exit onto Tamil Nadu highways.

For example - From one major Kerala highway border to another, it takes way lesser time and effort (of dealing with traffic, 2-lanes and overtaking) to just take the longer highway route via TN instead.

Which State has the worst Highways in India?-screenshot-20220217-12.58.04-pm.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:24   #78
BHPian

its Kerala, Hands Down!!

And and I bet 100:1, that anyone who has voted another state to this ignominy has probably not driven through Kerala.
Shocked you must be, if I mention that the width of NH66 in some choke-points would not exceed 5-6 Meters (and even in that, you would have vehicles parked to the side)

To add to all this agony is the newly initiated means of limiting vehicle speeds at town entry-exits that ARE WORSE than conventional speed-breakers. It comprises of a SERIES of strips with gradually increasing strip-height (and PROFILE). This is ABSOLUTELY DISASTROUS for ALL suspension components and a real heartbreak for a car-lover.

The light at the end of the tunnel is the NH66 revamp currently being undertaken. Since "Pushpaka Vimanam's" are out of production, may the God's above rescue his creations weathering the terra-firma in God's Own Country.
KANNURAN is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:28   #79
BHPian

I totally believe this poll is going to be biased based on which number of members from a particular state. Not all of us have driven around in every part of the country. I live in Tamil Nadu and have been to and driven in Maharashtra, Delhi, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal and Jammu.
The current poll has maximum votes for Kerala. But trust me, Kerala has one of the better infrastructures. But lack of expansion and mostly two lane highways make the driving experience a bit tough and risky. But the roads are well laid. There are few remote patches in bad shapes, but can't blame the authorities as well. They do try and patch up, but nature takes its toll!
Same for Mumbai as well. Heavy rains do take a huge toll. But infrastructure wise found it poor in outer regions. Drove from Mumbai to Aurangabad via Nashik and Shirdi. One of the worst patch of roads which sees huge traffic!
In Jammu most roads were under control of of BRO. The mitigation and construction process is quite quick.
Delhi is out of question, but apart from the ring roads and contonment areas, and planned subcities, I found roads in okay state. Not great but okay.
Uttarakhand does take laying roads for granted. Apart from Nainital, Missouri Dehradun, other roads seem bad.
Himachal has fair share of decent roads for the ghats it has.

Coming to state Highways, I believe Tamil Nadu has the best network. I'm currently in Theni. Apart from the rural roads (which get renewed every election) the network of National Highway is built pretty solid. The repairs are initiated pretty quickly and quality job is done. My only major woe in Tamilnadu is the Trichy part of Highway. Quite a bad stretch and costs a lot in tolls as well!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:28   #80
BHPian

I voted for 'Kerala'.

I am from the neighboring state of Tamilnadu and I am always afraid of the narrow roads of Kerala. Hence I avoid taking my personal vehicle to Kerala (in many cases) and mostly opt for cabs. Kerala has lot of vehicles and the amount of modifications people do on their cars are Crazy. Kerala deserve better infrastructure.
Old 17th February 2022, 13:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

I had it when we drove from Palakkad to Trivandrum via Alleppey after picking up a friend from Cochin to attend a friend’s wedding. God, I just remembering crashing that night! Vowed to never drive to Trivandrum again.
Ha! You could have taken diversion and driven through Pallakkad> Pollachi> Madurai> Nagacoil> Trivandrum route. You would have enjoyed traffic-less, neatly maintained TN roads and could have reached Trivandrum on time!

Regular route may seem to be less in duration, but nuisance of traffic make us tired and stressed out!
Which State has the worst Highways in India?-2.jpg

This route may be 2 hours longer as per google, but it can be covered withing 8 hours non - stop!
Which State has the worst Highways in India?-.jpg
jeganatu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:35   #82
BHPian

I have driven extensively across MH, KA, Goa, AP, TN, Telagana and KL. Voted for my homestate of Maharashtra.

KL is bad given the density of traffic but the surface quality is generally good. Also, its the physical limitation given the entire state is part western ghats.

MH on the other hand has worst quality surface. Its a patchwork similar to Khichadi government where local Guntha Mantri owns a part of NH and a toll booth. Recently Gadkari had to write to CM when a local MP tried to kidnap/threaten NHAI officials working on Samruddhi Expressway. Commission is the King in MH.
C300 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:43   #83
BHPian

Whoever hasn’t voted for WB is living in an ignorant fools paradise.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:50   #84
BHPian

Voted Maharashtra. I have driven/ experienced roads mostly on these states MH, GJ, MP, DL, KA, GA, RJ, PB, HP, UK, AS, ML. Among all these, I find MH roads to be the worst. Both in the cities/ NH or state highways.

There was a time 15-20 years ago, when we used to be relieved when entering MH from any of the border states, since roads in MH were always way better. This was a time when MP was notorious in its reputation of bad roads. Now the situation is the opposite, while roads in states like MP and GJ have improved in leaps and bounds, situation in MH has worsened to extreme.
It is really sad to see the dwindling state of road infra in my home state. Hope things will change for good soon.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

I saw handful mentions of trips to Shirdi in Maharashtra that t-bhp members took.
It's rather unfortunate that many members witnessed the single most horrible highway in Maharashtra. I'm from and live in Ahmednagar and roads all around this town are just plain terrible. Have been for decades and no sign of improvement.

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi is a nightmare, plain and simple. There could be some respite if you are coming from Mumbai (via Igatpuri) but as you get closer to Shirdi it gets bad and keeps getting worse every passing meter. Those who are in low slung small cars/sedans, boy your car is in for torture. Please be careful. Also, currently road work is going on (this road is ALWAYS under work) and traffic is hellish. Some patches are done where you can accelerate and BAMMM a pothole out of nowhere in the fast lane. Swerved at the last moment? Good luck not getting hit from behind by idiots STILL driving 90+ on this road.

But what if I told you this is not the worst thing on this road? I know. It's the deadly tractor trolleys that ferry sugar cane to factories. The tractors travel at approximately 3kmph in the RIGHT lane, without any tail/break lamps and frequently break down because on average they tow 3 humongous trolleys taller than TATA 1612. They also have tendency to stop right where they are or turn without any hesitation to pick up labor on the road side. You are not going to win in case you collide with these monsters even if God himself is your Co-passenger.

Unless Sai Baba came in your dreams and asked to visit him in Shirdi, don't undertake this journey. You have been warned.

Besides If you are going back to Pune or Mumbai, just get onto any and all the by-passes but avoid getting into Ahmednagar city at any cost.

Last edited by amol4184 : 17th February 2022 at 14:01.
amol4184 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:59   #86
BHPian

Surprising to see Tamilnadu as the one with best highways and vice versa.

Recently I travelled to Chennai from Hosur, and this highway is so important for connectivity to Bengaluru from Chennai and obviously it is the greatest NH-44.

It took me two hours to reach Vellore from Hosur and then 3 hours for the rest 90-100 odd kms. There is no highway at all with so many repair works and broken patches of road and the repair work which completed is also very shoddy.
prabhu.reddy92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:07   #87
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Amen to that. From my drives from Bangalore to Kottayam, i cover the distance till Coimbatore in under 5 hours. That's a distance of 350km if I am not mistaken. The rest of the 200km take about 5 hours inside Kerala .
I totally understand. When I start early in the mornings, in 4hrs, I reach Coimbatore, then the infamous speed cams in Palakkad will make you drive looking at the sky and searching for the speed cams
When you can cover close to 100KM in TN in an hour, even covering a distance of 40km in an hour is quite difficult in Kerala.

The road surface quality in Kerala has improved a lot in the recent years and many roads are excellent and smooth but the traffic, narrow roads, too many towns, signals and twisty roads make driving a long and tiring affair.
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:11   #88
BHPian

Highways quality in Maharashtra is bad as urbanisation around the highways is quite high compared to other states
Same is the case for kerala
Focus on building bypass roads, express way should help Maharashtra but simply expanding lanes will serve no purpose
Expanding lanes is like loosening your belt to control your waist size!
Kerala I think with its density, terrain and high per capita gdp needs lots of brainstorming to figure out solutions
Anikesh11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:30   #89
BHPian

Voted for Maharashtra. Having driven in Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka, I found roads in Maharashtra (other than a few more famous stretches) to be bad and pothole filled. I understand the potholes, my issue is with the repair work that happens on them in MH. Some how both ore and post are equal bad!
SinghShu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:40   #90
BHPian

my 14 years driving experience is in following states in descending order

Karnataka
Tamil Nadu
Kerala
Maharashtra
Rajasthan
Haryana
Andhra
Gujarat

Among these I would rate Kerala for being the state which has pseudo National Highways.

Among the states which has some real highways I rate Maharashtra to be the worst. I drove on Maharashtrian highways just 4 months back and indeed the road condition has deteriorated compared to 2012-2013 times.

Gujarat is mixed bag the road connecting Ahmedabad and Mehsana was very bad and tiring however other stretches of highways made up for that.

In my opinion the best highways are there in Karnataka and not TN. The terrain over which the Karnataka state has build such beautiful roads are an order of magnitude tougher in comparison to Tamil Nadu.

Once we drove from Mysore to Guruvayur via coorg-talassery thinking that the scenic roads through Coorg would be worth the notorious Kerala roads. The most memorable mistake ever!

Last edited by gauravanekar : 17th February 2022 at 14:42.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks