Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:35   #31

my car has remote lock which opens only when engine is put off. and not when hand brake is put on.
Old 4th March 2008, 00:26   #32
BHPian

Hoax or no-hoax, I still would take this with some seriousness. I have to enter my building through the back gate because of the weird location of my parking space. Normally this gate would remain closed and I would have to come out of the car to open it. Out of laziness, I simply keep the engine running, door open (so that I don't lock myself out) and head towards the gate. My wallet, mobile and bag stay inside the car.

Although my locality is safe, but you never know what could happen and after reading this thread, I do think I need to get a bit more cautious.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:30   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me share this - one way of stealing your car is that a thief forcibly removes the front left side door lock and takes it away. He makes a duplicate key and presto - your car is gone the next day. This happened with me 2 times (they could not take the cars as I just did not park them there again), so I decided to do something about it. Simple - "no lock barrel in door". So I just removed all my door lock barrels and blanked out the holes with some rubber buffer. I use the remote to operate the doors. There is a small catch though. I have to keep both my remotes together as if the remote battery drains, there is no way I can open my car. Try it. It works. I am using it everyday for the last 6 months.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th March 2008, 14:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Let me share this - one way of stealing your car is that a thief forcibly removes the front left side door lock and takes it away. He makes a duplicate key and presto - your car is gone the next day. This happened with me 2 times (they could not take the cars as I just did not park them there again), so I decided to do something about it. Simple - "no lock barrel in door". So I just removed all my door lock barrels and blanked out the holes with some rubber buffer. I use the remote to operate the doors. There is a small catch though. I have to keep both my remotes together as if the remote battery drains, there is no way I can open my car. Try it. It works. I am using it everyday for the last 6 months.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Yeah but arent you also using a top notch security system through which it makes stealing the car almost impossible. why dont you tell us about that too.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:49   #35
BHPian

You lock all your car doors. At the traffic signal a begger taps on the glass window and you roll down . After that you bent down or reach out for some change in some of those cubby holes in your vehicle to pay the begger. You rolled up the window and notice that your mobile phone on dash board was stolen.
Along with it begger was also nowhere to be seen.

That is how exactly some one known to us lost her mobile phone.
So beware at traffic junctions.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuraja View Post
You lock all your car doors. At the traffic signal a begger taps on the glass window and you roll down . [snip]
So beware at traffic junctions.
Good Tip. I always keep all the windows up - in the last five years, I have driven with windows rolled-down only twice, and that too for just a few minutes. By default, all the windows are always up.

Even if you have to roll down in a traffic junction, bring it down only by
an inch or two, just to squeeze the cash out.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

New Way to do car Jackings

ALL FORUM MEMBERS

Herewith a Notice issued by AASI(Automobile Association of Southern India) for its members:
++

BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE.

Heads up everyone! Please keep this circulating. You walk across the car
park, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and put it into
Reverse. When you look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear screen. So you stop, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is),because it is obstructing your view. Then when you reach the back of your car, is when the car-hackers appear out of nowhere. They jump in and take off. They practically run you over as they speed off.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the car-jacker has
your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole
identity are compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to the back window, lock your doors and
just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds
of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want
this to fall into the wrong hands.

Please tell all your friends

+++++++++++

MODS: I am a member with AASI hence I recieved this notice.
I am forwarding this here thinking that it may be useful for our forum members.

You may remove if it is already there in the forum or not fit to circulate
here. Alternatively you may move this thread elsewhere -Thanks

Last edited by nairrk : 4th December 2009 at 09:55. Reason: correction
Old 4th December 2009, 12:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

This hoax comes back at us again and again after a few months.
Old 4th December 2009, 14:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Even if you have to roll down in a traffic junction, bring it down only by
an inch or two, just to squeeze the cash out.
Better still, don't hand cash out to these parasites. It's well known now that in cities at least, all this begging stuff is highly organized by criminal gangs who "employ" these people to collect money from innocent commuters. It's just robbery in another form.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

this may be a hoax, however similar instances happen in India.

Similar means - Carjacking.

Some of the cases I remember

1. Car cleaner cleaning the inside of the car on one fine Sunday morning, owner watching TV at home, two people come, threaten him, take the keys and run away.
2. Driver waiting for owner to come, as no parking space nearby, people come and snatch the car.

Noida, Gurgaon is quite notorious for car jacking , especially of midsize SUV like Endy, Pajero etc.

One of my friend in Estilo was recently attacked on a lonely road, where a santro car blocked his path in front and two people from each side tried to break open his window, luckily he took reverse in full speed and left them thinking. As it is Delhi roads, without street lighting helped them to do this daredevilry at 8pm in the night.
Old 5th December 2009, 07:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
this may be a hoax, however similar instances happen in India.
This is not a hoax. Thieves in Dubai and Abudhabi had done it. And these were in the news papers there. And warning by police.
The thieves used to stick just paper on the rear wind screen on vehicles parked infront of the Malls and Super Markets. Normaly after starting the car you look in the rear view mirror to make sure that the its clear to reverse the vehicle. When you see the paper stuck to the wind screen, you get out to remove it. Since the engine is running, the thieves gets inside the car and drives away. After removing the valuables they abandon the car.

This could very well happen here, if one is not very careful.

Last edited by sudharma : 5th December 2009 at 07:33. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 5th December 2009, 21:37   #42
BHPian

It is always better to lock all doors (using the master switch) during travel. Nobody knows from when and where the thugs will pounce upon unsuspecting drivers.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:38   #43
BHPian

Re: Bangalore- Attention -A NEW TRICK FOR car theft

Yesterday at the silk board junction coming from hsr layout going towards btm. As I was waiting for the light to turn green I saw two guys moving next to my car and other cars. This was happening for almost over a minute. At first I did not notice it closely , but when I saw the same guys in a span of few seconds moving around the cars, i thought they have lost something, did not bother much.
As soon as the light turned green, I saw one of the guys hitting the right side of a car which was in front of me. The car driver and the owner looked at the right side of the car and at that moment , the second guy pulled out some stuff from the front passenger window. This happened in a matter of seconds. I honked and flashed the dipper to somehow get the attention of the driver in front of me. Guess they did not realise what had happened.

wanted to share the experience so that the members are careful of such tricks
dhir_d is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhir_d View Post
As soon as the light turned green, I saw one of the guys hitting the right side of a car which was in front of me. The car driver and the owner looked at the right side of the car and at that moment , the second guy pulled out some stuff from the front passenger window. This happened in a matter of seconds. I honked and flashed the dipper to somehow get the attention of the driver in front of me. Guess they did not realise what had happened.
Thanks for sharing!

Did no one shout at those guys directly? Its hard to believe no one except you noticed the unfolding of events at the signal!

Any idea what happened next; were they successful or were they caught?

Very rare to see chauffeur driven cars with windows rolled down, except company cabs.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 12th December 2013 at 14:16.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:50   #45
BHPian

maybe others would have noticed but not sure. do not think the guys were caught.
the driver would have shut off the engine and rolled down the windows as the red light was on for around 10 mins.
as the car was ahead of me till the madiwali lake cut, I did see the driver switching on the reading light and checking something in the car. Could be at that moment they realised what actually hit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Did no one shout at those guys directly? Its hard to believe no one except you noticed the unfolding of events at the signal!

Any idea what happened next; were they successful or were they caught?

Very rare to see chauffeur driven cars with windows rolled down, except company cabs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks