Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 20:00   #76
BHPian

This is a terrible incident. For all you know, among the 3000 you gave, those goondas would have taken a cool 2K and fled. That is the sorry state of affairs.

They really take advantage of you especially if you have language issues. I think what you did is perfectly right. Never get into blows, trust me it will go out of control and we all know what happens when there is a mob fury. Moreover, it will take more time to get over it (take my word for it, I have just been through one).

But we should come up with something that can prevent this. What if we start video recording the episode on the mobile phone? without their knowledge. Can we file an assault case??
Old 13th June 2007, 20:13   #77
LLL
BHPian

really bad accident, makes one wonder where this country is headed.

Had a similar incident, a carrier banged my car (which was standing on a red light) from side and damaged 2 doors and rear bumper. luckily my parents and sister were not hurt.

But soon a crowd gathered, blaming me for hitting the carrier and soon the carrier guy called the cops who wanted to impound my car.

finally i left the scene without claiming any damages...felt really useless being a s/w guy. wanted to be a goonda for a few days with a gun under the belt and driving some kind of truck and wanted to damage every carrier in sight...

btw ended up spending 16k from my pocket + lost NCB.
Old 13th June 2007, 21:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Benny,

I'm very sorry abt all this. As equally as the accident , I'm sorry abt the effect on your 1st anniversary. If it helps alleviate your agony, I offer to take your guys out for dinner.

Post-facto, my strong suggestion to you is to be triply-cautious driving around auto-rickshaws, due to 2 reasons:

1. All of them are rowdies - the exceptions are 0.01%

2. All of them are part of unions

3. These unions are affiliated to political interests - hence the fearlessness from auto drivers when dealing with cops; coupled with their bribes to cops making the two of them pals.

4. These unions immediately swarm an accident to "help" out their comrade. That they care least abt actually helping anything is a moot point. Their only purpose for mobbing is to extract money from the hapless other vehicle.
I try to be as open minded as possible, but sadly you are completely right. Both Chennai and Bangalore auto drivers are really a bunch of thugs.
Old 13th June 2007, 21:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post

It is absolutely ridiculous how much nonsense the legal (judicial and police) system puts us thru.
and sad to see this coming from a lawyer.
Old 13th June 2007, 22:00   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

As a guy who doesn't speak any Indian language, this sort of scenario is my biggest dread. Whatever happens, it's going to be the foreigner's fault, isn't it?

Well, actually no.... the guy who drove his bike into the back of my 5-day old swift was deeply apologetic, and probably as relieved that I didn't rant and rave as I was that he was a peaceable guy.

I still shiver with horror at the thought of the auto driver I nearly killed because I missed a red light --- he would have been very justified in giving more than a really nasty look.

But this is trivia compared to a really nasty accident, and then immediately having to face a crowd like that.

That it didn't turn much nastier says a lot for your ability to handle and deal with people; conscious or not. Congratulate yourself!
Old 14th June 2007, 08:59   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
This is a terrible incident. For all you know, among the 3000 you gave, those goondas would have taken a cool 2K and fled. That is the sorry state of affairs.

But we should come up with something that can prevent this. What if we start video recording the episode on the mobile phone? without their knowledge. Can we file an assault case??
That is probably what would have happened. I feel the auto driver would have recieved 1K from that amount, and the remaining amount goes into the kitty of their ganglords.

As for filing an assault case, i dont know how much it woiuld matter. If the cops dont pay heed to us now, i dont really see how they would emphatize with us when we go to file a complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
...... the cops who wanted to impound my car.

finally i left the scene without claiming any damages...felt really useless being a s/w guy. wanted to be a goonda for a few days ......
btw ended up spending 16k from my pocket + lost NCB.
Thats the problem with the cops. All they want to do is get out of the scene, and this is the easiest way out. It also serves as a deterrent against us going ahead with a complaint, right? How convenient.

In my case, the cop even threatened to have a case charged against me if i didnt remove the car out of there. All this while he was inside my car, and there were people literally abusing the car in every way possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As a guy who doesn't speak any Indian language, this sort of scenario is my biggest dread. Whatever happens, it's going to be the foreigner's fault, isn't it?

That it didn't turn much nastier says a lot for your ability to handle and deal with people; conscious or not. Congratulate yourself!
It wouldnt be your fault if you had money to cough up. Trust me.
Thanx, coming to think of it, i dont think there would have been any other way it would have turned out.
Old 14th June 2007, 09:36   #82
Team-BHP Support

When I was in Bangalore I used to face similar problem with local thugs who come on fund raising for various festivals. In this case I didn't have to be in an accident. They literally blaze past the lone security guard, and spread around the office. Knowing the local language only helped me to negotiate the price down, I still had to pay up. Police do nothing, in fact they never came whenever we called them. While I was not scared about myself, I didn't want my staff to be scared to come to work.

When in an accident, whoever appears relatively richer is the culprit. People are conditioned to think that way. You can blame that numerous movies, say Bachchan movies from the 70s. Saale Seth log, that's how it goes. Even police use the same logic, in any accident, whoever can't pay up is the victim. Case closed.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
The reporting to police system does not work. I tried it a couple of weeks ago; the rickshaw driver fled the scene after crushing my car's rear bumper from one side. It was a Saturday and they said i have to leave my car behind until Monday when the RTO guy may come to certify the damage. The auto was also not listed on their computer database (how useless is that?) so they said they wouldnt be able to trace the auto until someone went to the RTO office on Monday. Finally, the cops convinced me to just record the accident for insurance purposes (i know it is not required). I was also not about to claim the expense and lose out on my No claim bonus (double the amount). So, ended up, reluctantly, saving the cops some amount of work. Kaamchors......

It is absolutely ridiculous how much nonsense the legal (judicial and police) system puts us thru.
Thats only to get away from the 15-20 more people ganging up on you/ proving your credibility and thats why I said if both person turn up (the damage cost anyways has to be from your insurance, 3rd party is too much paperwork for them). Your situation is totally different from Ben. Imagine the auto guys forcing you to pay up for their fault.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

I saw similar accident 2 days back, a motorcycle guy banged into a Corolla from the back while the corolla was taking a U-Turn.

The bumper got deformed (which I think can be popped back) but the rod inside the bumper might need replacement/repair + the bumper might need paint.

I dont know who was at fault in this case since I saw it few seconds after the accident, but the indicator on the car was ON.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:23   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Actually same thing happened to my car too a few months back. Banaswadi 80ft road, need to take a right turn to a bylane. Indicator ON 30ft from the turn. Braking slowly, turning in and THUD. Initially I thought the biker must have damaged the bumper, dicky, broken the tail lamps, maybe even fallen on the rear windshield. Parked the car and got out.

Soon, a crowd gathered and these rogues starting telling me how it was my fault etc etc. I said the indicator is ON. They said where? Switched on the ignition and showed them. Had locked the car since I didn't want anyone gaining access inside. Fortunately all this happened right at the turn to the garage. I badly wanted to brake the bones of one guy who started demanding money saying he hit me too sometime back etc etc. All this while the biker himself says nothing, he even said it was his fault.

But since it was getting a huge mess my mech said let the biker go. I was in half mind not to let him go unless he pays for the mess. He tried to overtake a car taking a right turn, was doing some 60kmph on a crowded road and worse thing is he never even bothered to see the indicators or the car slow down. I mean is he blind or what? Luckily the rear bumper had a few scratches and the left fender got it a bit. My mech said he would get it done within no time and it was not worth fighting for. I let go. Without paying anyone a penny. Told those rogues to go mind their business, I shall sort it out with the biker myself.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:32   #86
Team-BHP Support

Mclaren, the difference here is, the biker is an individual, and although the crowds do intervene, you can demand them to mind their own business.
If its an auto, the unions, and so on come into play. They make sure that all communication is with them.

Sad state of affairs.

OT : Saw an Ikon cab, which was rear-ended by a Sumo cab last evening on the Brookfields main road. Wonder who would call whom to launch the fight. I was quite pleased when i saw it though. May the games begin.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

In most of the Western world/ ME if you rear-end a vehicle, the vehicle rear-ending is at fault without any thought, he/she should have maintained distance and braked, period.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:44   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
In most of the Western world/ ME if you rear-end a vehicle, the vehicle rear-ending is at fault without any thought, he/she should have maintained distance and braked, period.
according to indian law its the same, only problem is by the time cops write their fir the car that got rear ended would have been made as travel ling recklessly on the opposite lane
Old 14th June 2007, 11:00   #89
BHPian

got te car back from the service station?? Howz MIKE now??
Old 14th June 2007, 11:25   #90
Team-BHP Support

Jmoz, hope to get it by this evening. Should call them up first.
Loads of work to complete by the weekend, so thats taking time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks