Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2022, 15:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thieves steal 60-ft long iron bridge in Bihar

In Bihar, a gang of thieves demolished a 60 feet long iron bridge and stole the scrap metal. The incident took place in the Rohtas district.

Name:  FP4NOi3aIAcZFN3.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  50.4 KB

According to media reports, the gang arrived at the site posing as officers of the Irrigation Department. They used gas cutters and earthmovers to demolish the bridge, which took over 3-days to complete. They even took the help of some locals before fleeing the scene with the scrap metal.

The bridge was built in 1972 over the Arrah canal at Amiyawar village. It was no longer in use after a concrete bridge was constructed alongside it.

An FIR has been filed, and the police are now in the process of making sketches of the accused.

Source: IndiaTV

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 15:23   #2
BHPian

re: Thieves steal 60-ft long iron bridge in Bihar

Government should reward them. They did what the government was supposed to do. Atleast this unused metal will be put to some good use.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 18:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Every time I see this kind of news, my pride swells. The pride of being in a country where thieves can think of pulling off a heist and which took three long days to complete with no one having a clue, that too in broad daylight !!

It must be some kind of a first where thieves used sophisticated machines like gas cutters and earthmovers to demolish a bridge. Imagine the value of scrap that prompted this heist. I hope the thieves are handsomely rewarded for their efforts (no pun intended)
ABHI_1512 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 18:43   #4
BHPian

I would love if thieves would steal and sold the scrap metal of the rotting cars that are dumped alongside our roads or mostly outside police stations. Also numerous such confiscated autos in really bad shape which seems to have been abandoned by their owners, that litter the road at so many places. At least this is what I have seen in Mumbai.
raksrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 20:29   #5
BHPian

True iron men they must have been.
Cause "loha hi lohe ko kaathta hai."
abhi_ank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 20:40   #6
BHPian

This incident is a clear representation of the state of the administration.

Reminds me of this movie called "Special 26". It was based on true incidents of FAKE Income Tax raids!

OTOH something makes me believe this was a good thing, otherwise the Govt would've spent 2x the value of steel just in the name of safe dismantling, safe transportation, safe storage and procedurally transparent sale auction process.

P.S. : WHO said this doesn't happen in urban India Tier I cities ? Our civic agencies brazenly dig out freshly laid roads and footpaths and the tender to relay them is re-issued. Repeat ^100x - since decades.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 9th April 2022 at 20:45.
WorkingGuru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 20:41   #7

It reminds me of a similar incident long back ago. Some ideas just never gets old.

Very similar modus operandi
https://www.indiatvnews.com/crime/ne...oon--2473.html
superit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 22:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Government should reward them. They did what the government was supposed to do. Atleast this unused metal will be put to some good use.
I need their contact. Couple of unused, danger to the people walking under skywalks here in suburban Mumbai that we need to get rid of. Excellent quality steel and aluminium panels are in the offering.

This reminds me of an entire bus stop that was stolen in Borivali (Mumbai suburbs), made of stainless steel, around 10 years ago maybe. Of course, the scale of the above heist is way bigger.

Last edited by TROOPER : 9th April 2022 at 22:03.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 22:18   #9
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2022 at 09:19.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th April 2022, 22:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to media reports, the gang arrived at the site posing as officers of the Irrigation Department. They used gas cutters and earthmovers to demolish the bridge, which took over 3-days to complete. They even took the help of some locals before fleeing the scene with the scrap metal.

An FIR has been filed, and the police are now in the process of making sketches of the accused.
This being India, I am sure there is more to what has been reported. I guess someone from the concerned department must be part of this or an indirect beneficiary. Who would know where/how to cut it in expected way, using and sourcing right tools, transport the material, store/hide it and then sell the scrap at right place and price - without having someone from the system itself?
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 01:03   #11
BHPian

As per news report the now gone structure weighed about 500 MT.

At current MS melting scrap rate of approx Rs 45~48/kg that could fetch almost Rs. 2.5 cr.

Hard to believe the local bosses were not in the loop
drive_factor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't but help admire the ingenuity and audacity of the thieves. Only in hamara India!!! Without a shred of doubt the local PWD and Police are in on the loot. After a show of investigations a couple of tonnes will be located but the rest 498 tonnes will not and the case will be closed.

In the 1980s the CAG discovered that in Assam an entire road had been built and funded at the tax-payers expenses - on paper only - and allegedly repaired once too without a soul knowing it other than the vast army of interconnected Govt departments on the take.

Rs 2.5 crores has been added to the GDP. I wonder if GST will be paid on it.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th April 2022 at 09:45.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 18:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the SP, some of the crooks have been arrested and others will follow suit.

Link

This was a news that has gathered too much steam. Such a crazy theft had happened and we in family were really not amazed as we see such illegal use of government machinery on day to day basis. We did discussed that it cannot be done without handiwork of an insider.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 00:50   #14
BHPian

If only they could steal from corrupt politicians, and loot their house, hackers looting their money from their Swiss and Cayman Island accounts . Is there any rat that can loot the cat ??
Old 11th April 2022, 01:58   #15
BHPian

Now that the loot has been caught, the material leftover will sit and rot away to glory since it has become the evidence to prosecute the thieves in court which may take....say 20 years to deliver the judgement by the time when most accused would be dead. Instead, sell the scrap and confiscate the money. Haha. They've pulled off a masterpiece, to be honest! If the same job were to be executed by the government , they'd take 2-3 years with every ministry being involved and everyone getting their cut of the bribe. We should actually appreciate the robbers for being so well prepared and executing the job in less than 3 days! The state government will become a butt of all the jokes now. Nonetheless, I had a great laugh and it made my day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks