Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 18:20   #1
BHPian

My Hyderabadi Experience

I some times think Auto guys in hyderabad should be given a world record for transporting max people in minimum space,

Can you beat a 3 wheeler auto with a capacity of carrying 3 people,
carrying 10 people, I understand the state of affairs of our Aum Janata but this practice is not stopped despite several accidents because of overloading.

Yesterday I saw this accident happen right in front of me,
I was on the left lane behind a Auto which was on the right lane, A lorry over takes me and tries to overtake the auto as well, and the stubborn and idiotic auto guy does not give way for some time, the lorry inches closer, seeing this the auto guy moves a bit to the left,The lorry tries to move ahead, but since a Guy was protruding about a feet outside the auto, the lorry guy banged into him. the impact toppled the auto side ways, but the lorry sped away.

I was in two minds to stop and help or to chase the lorry guy. I Stopped behind the accident scene to see how I could help,

And to my relief there was a jeep which looked like a police one also pulled over.

Lo and Behold the fantastic logic of the swindlers in hyderabad.
These guys turned out to be some ruffians who insisted that I banged and toppled the auto. Mean while there was a crowd building up all the while these guys were communicatiing in telgu.

So my attention now turned from helping the injured to saving my skin,
These guys must have come from a movie ,, they flashed their cell phone and pretended like they were talking to the commisioner and all the stuff meanwhile his companions were coaxing in broken hindi to part with 5000 rupees to let go of me.

Fortunately for me there was another faction of people who were helping the injured , thy guy who was hit by the lorry was really bad, the driver and the other were comparitively okay, and the driver for my good fortune told that the lorry was responsible, these characters were busily chirping in telgu and suddenly moved away frm the scene,

As for me, though I wanted to help the guy, did'nt want further panga and just moved on after calling a Ambulance.
kiranpashtakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2007, 21:08   #2
BHPian

What were the cops doing? Man that was sick you stop to help and this happens? Sorry pal but, keeping fingers crossed ki hum honge kaamyaab ek din
Old 15th June 2007, 21:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow - what guts ! Guess people not stopping to help do the right thing.

Thank God you got away safe and sound.
Old 16th June 2007, 12:36   #4
BHPian

This is the exact reason why I dont feel like stopping to help the injured.... you are taking a big gamble.... I got into a similar situation one night in Trivandrum. A bike was in front of me and a truck overtakes both of us. But after overtaking the bike, the truck guy pulled in a bit too early and the rear of the truck hit the handlebar of the bike and the chap fell down right in front of me. I slammed all the brakes I had and people came to the spot hearing the screech. I made the mistake of getting out and then it struck me that the people might have thought I hit the bike. But luckily, a couple of people had witnessed the accident and even noted down the number of the truck, and they called up the cops. I guess it was just my lucky day.
Old 21st June 2007, 17:18   #5
BHPian

Pathetic, the attitude of some people. As I think about it, I see that such extortion activities are done by the people of the economically weaker classes to make a quick buck. They round up a majority and start fleecing you.

Even after bad experiences, I cant help but stop for a victim if I come across any. But I am going to make sure that I give a once over before I help anyone. Study him to see if he is of the villager or 'porukki' types and then decide whether or not to help. The best option out in such cases I think is to just close your eyes and keep driving (and if the guy injured is of the evil types then preferably over him as well). But, this option too is dangerous as people will think you have done a hit n run as you didnt stop and might register a case or rough you up by following you.

Somehow, we are just faced with a dead end. No matter what we do we will end up on the losing side. The country has come to such a pathetic stage. Bah.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Some one comes in your path of movement and you are supposed to break and you cannot even give a piece of your mind, you are supposed to just b rush it over.. god forbid if you get out to shout.
these guys just pounce on you like a pack of dogs. wonder when the mindset would change

Especially in hyderabad, i have noticed that trucks... buses... bikes all move on the wrong side of the road like its no one's business and you are expected to avoid them even in the dark.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:07   #7
BHPian

trying to help someone & you are blamed for the accident

when will people stop this nonsense.they look for a chance to make some moolah out of any situation.be it at the cast of other's lives.

@kiranpashtakar - your effort is commendable.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

hmmm... so kiran, you are learning hyderabadi traffic nightmares the hard way as I can see do not worry, another year and you will know these things as regular road occurences and nothing more. I have posted the bad scenario here in numerous threads on the forum. After having driven in so many different places (and some of the places were really bad) I still feel that Hyderabad traffic sense is the worst that I have ever seen anywhere.
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Zappo, dude, I thought the same till I tried Pune. Nothing beats Pune.
Old 23rd June 2007, 06:15   #10
BHPian

Amazing Auto in Hyderabad

Last may when I was in Hyderabad, I took an auto from Kukatpally to main Bus stand at 7PM. I had to cath a bus to Bangalore at 9:30PM. I told the auto fellow that I had to catch the bus at 8:45PM. And soon I realised that it was a tremendous mistake. In the maddenning traffic all the way from Kukatpally to city centre, he zoomed past buses, lorries, cars, autos, bikes like mad, taking left, right and left turns like no one's business. He was managing distance with other vehicles in millimetres. He reached bus stand at 8:15PM. My heart was beating at 200 when I got out of the auto. When I asked why did he drive like that, he replied that this was the normal way he drives and he has been doing so for past 15 years! and it is his own Auto. God, save those cars on Hyderabad roads, from such mad drivers !.
ankura12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2007, 19:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@ankur, that was one hilarious anecdote. Like the auto guy said very coolly thats the way he drives, i guess thats exactly the attitude of most of these 3-wheelers notorious for doing everything wrong like driving on right side of the road, take a 360 degree turn wherever and whenever they wish, stop in middle of road in a split second and what not.

I have stopped complaining and just concentrate on saving my skin
Old 24th June 2007, 21:40   #12
BANNED

Ban cash payment at accident site

After reading so many stories about bystanders / friends of people involved in accidents extorting money from the "bigger/more expensive" vehicle, irrespective of fault, I think it is time we have some legislation to curb the practise of people getting involved in accidents settleng the matter on the roads.
With some experience, I can tell you that a spot payment, even when backed up by a receipt with the signature of a policeman in uniform as witness to the settlement is not going to save your a subsequent litigation in the accidents claims tribunal (MACT - to claim insurance) and the private complaint in criminal court which is filed AFTER the MACT case.
It is time we changed our laws to make reporting of all accidents (even minor dents) compulsory, AND get all compromises recorded.
What do other team-bhpians think?
Old 24th June 2007, 23:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
It is time we changed our laws to make reporting of all accidents (even minor dents) compulsory, AND get all compromises recorded.
What do other team-bhpians think?
Irrespective of the merit in your idea there are huge practical problems to what you suggest. Have you seen the way the police, the courts and all other government machineries function in this country? If every incident were to be made reported then going by the number of accidents on the roads in this country there will be huge queues outside every police station everyday. Nothing else will get done. Not to talk of the new avenue that it will open up for corruption. So you banged someone's car? Better shell out some wads of notes to stay out of the dock. Hmmm... so this guy banged your car and now you wish to claim insurance? You will have to shell out 25% of the insurance amount sir, kharcha paani you see...
Old 25th June 2007, 15:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

i agree with Zappo here. I was a victim to a similar case wherein an auto hit my car, and still had to shell out my own money. The cops are literally an insult to themselves and the institution that is the Police. I hate the very sight of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks