Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2022, 15:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps gets Toll Estimates feature

Google Maps now has a new feature that displays the estimated toll amount for a particular route.

Name:  xgooglemapstolls011655216829.jpg.pagespeed.ic.tlDK19dtmM.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  36.2 KB

Google Maps gathers information from local tolling authorities and also factors in the usage of FASTag. Users have the option of getting toll prices with or without FASTag.

The toll estimate feature was first announced by Google back in April this year. It has now started rolling out in countries across the world, including India.

The toll estimate feature is available in the latest version of Google Maps. It covers over 2,000 toll roads in the US, India, Indonesia and Japan.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 16th June 2022 at 15:31.
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 15:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Google Maps gets Toll Estimates feature

This will be a very useful feature.

The toll for Hindupur-Bangalore route is mentioned as Rs.70 in the maps, but it is now increased to Rs.90.

There should also be an option for users to update the toll charges of specific toll plazas to make it more accurate.

Google Maps gets Toll Estimates feature-screenshot_2022061615485215_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
Everlearner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 16:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai to Pune and back that I have been doing recently when opened on GMaps shows ₹81 for toll, which is way off from the actual amount!!

Google Maps gets Toll Estimates feature-91ee3ba0ce88426f8fd9b2f1c913d68a.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 16:57   #4
BHPian

I think it shows the pricing only for NHAI maintained toll plazas.

For e.g. it does not show the pricing for ORR Toll of Hyderabad and nor the NAM highway toll charges as well.

Nevertheless this is a good feature to have in the map.
searacer932 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 13:44   #5
BHPian

It is a misleading feature that will prove to be a headache for people who rely on it. Mumbai-Pune expressway toll is not there for example. These things should be launched after proper field verification in my opinion. Right now, it cannot be trusted to be accurate.
Old 17th June 2022, 17:48   #6
Sen
BHPian

Great initiative, but with the inflating and ever-changing prices, I doubt the accuracy will be TOO close to what you actually need to pay. It'll always be +10%-50% minimum, which is important especially if you maintain a paytm wallet with specific balance for fastag, or equivalent with your banking partner.

The only beef I have with Google Maps is their refusal to take information from users that, from their history, can clearly be seen to either live there or frequent the place enough to allow them the authority to change information on maps.

Every time I wasted my time updating something like a missing road or a closure etc, I'd get the nonsense "Your change was not approved" message (despite LIVING in the area I'm trying to correct and seeing the location in person in front of me as I stare dumbfounded at the correction denied message a few days later).

Nifty feature nonetheless. I guess I've ranted a bit. Let's hope they can manage the influx of info here with this feature better than their map corrections.
Old 17th June 2022, 23:35   #7

It's a step in the right direction. I hope they soon implement this for all kinds of toll plazas in future.
Old 18th June 2022, 06:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Just curious, how’s this going to help? Almost all tolls are now on fast tag and one can maintain enough balance. With hardly any other routes, we have to mostly pass through the tolls, so what exactly are we looking at?
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 08:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Just curious, how’s this going to help? Almost all tolls are now on fast tag and one can maintain enough balance. With hardly any other routes, we have to mostly pass through the tolls, so what exactly are we looking at?
Helps us lesser folk calculate whether you can afford the trip….or not!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks