Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Re: The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch

Reminded of this one I survived from Assam.
Road exists on both ends of the culvert. But the micro bridge is left in pristine condition.

Name:  Broken roads in Assam.png
Views: 657
Size:  386.4 KB
RedTerrano is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
The Anmod Car Breaker
I was intrigued by the infamous Anmod ditch so I clicked a few pics here to document it
Very singular & passionate review, quite relevant for us drivers. Thanks for the articulation

Just out of curiosity, how far does the concrete road/stretch lay or go back before you hit the ditch? Are there any signs available at say, 50-100 meters beforehand that one should watch out for, to be aware of the impending catastrophe?

Quote:
Notice the marks on the concrete edge and the broken car parts visible.
This statement reminded me of battleground scars

The Anmod Car Breaker | Review of the infamous Anmod ditch-capture.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:01   #18
BHPian

Meanwhile, some BBMP engineer reading this thread might think - thanks to us, Bengaluru folks wouldn't need to travel 400 kms away for that ditch. We have scores of them in the city, especially with the white topping projects around. All-terrain drive experience, crafted for office commuters and perfected by rains on a daily basis.

(None of them are car-breakers though, since the speeds would not be high).
mayukh42 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:46   #19
BHPian

OMG on the thread timing. I just experienced this yesterday, and was in-fact imagining how convenient it might be if someone could put up a board at such places with guides on how to navigate them, more as a random muse while driving. And today I see this excellent post detailing the plan of attack, complete with pictures!

I was on a low strung sedan that too with a long bonnet that makes it difficult to judge tire location. Unsurprisingly, tried to crawl at an angle over the (1) section towards Bangalore, and ended up scraping the bottom. While coming back did something similar to what you had written, by turning and driving towards the Doodhsagar resorts before turning back to Goa road.

There is also the unscientific speed breakers at the railway crossing that needs to be documented. Got scrapped there also, and on the way back did a proper 45 degree crawl over them to avoid it.

Thanks for the detailed anatomy of the ditch, I'm sure it will help others.
astrodex is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
[b]

How to locate?
Easy - it is at the turn to Doodhsagar Jungle Resorts.
Set Doodhsagar Jungle resorts as a stop on Gmaps and watch out for the deviation from the main road to identify the spot.

Without the above it is not easy to identify the location.

OT: Is this the first review of a ditch on teambhp?
Yet another detailed review on Team-BHP as usual jointly compiled with yourself , so thanks for the expert observations But seriously, thanks for taking out time to put up this in the interest of everyone's safety.

Just wanted to highlight that "Doodhsagar jungle resort" falls in Karnataka limits and is totally different from "Dudhsagar spa resort" that's located within Goa limits at the foothills of Anmod ghat near Mollem. Most BHPians especially from Mumbai/Pune/Belgaum/Kolhapur/Bangalore/Hyderabad are aware of the Dudhsagar spa resort as it is the highly recommended stopover restaurant/resort for food and washroom on this forum. The roads around Dudhsagar spa resort are straight with clean tarmac.

Mumbai/Pune folks taking the Bhimgad WLS route will avoid this famous Anmod ditch on their way to Goa whereas, as someone above said, for Bangaloreans this stretch is unavoidable ( if they opt for Ramnagar --Anmod route )
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
There is also the unscientific speed breakers at the railway crossing that needs to be documented. Got scrapped there also, and on the way back did a proper 45 degree crawl over them to avoid it.
As ordered . Would have made most real crabs proud.

Please excuse the racy folk song soundtrack.

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd June 2022 at 13:39.
itwasntme is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 22:13   #22
BHPian

Yes, this one! Your crab manoeuvre is way better than mine, btw. It is as if you are taking over the entire road each time

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
As ordered . Would have made most real crabs proud..
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 23:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Only happens in Karnataka, unfinished roads, abandoned flyovers, potholes and well maintained speed breakers.
There is one more unique thing I noticed, big pothole right next to a huge speed breaker.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 07:02   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks for a detailed review of the ditch. From what I experienced, and commented on, a few months ago it's got worse.
Only happens in Karnataka, unfinished roads, abandoned flyovers, potholes and well maintained speed breakers.
Meanwhile us keralites
Old 23rd June 2022, 07:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Yes, this one! Your crab manoeuvre is way better than mine, btw. It is as if you are taking over the entire road each time
, yes. I like to slow down, warn oncoming and following traffic, and then go over diagonally such that opposing diagonal wheels are on the speedbreaker at any given time. Usually works.

In this case, I was leading a convoy of fully loaded KA holiday vehicles like the new Creta, XUV500 (severely overloaded and rashly driven), old City, Santro etc. None appreciated my overtaking them (red flag to a KA bill), but couldn't do much as I safely flew past earlier.

That last veteran (battle-scarred concrete) speedbreaker (from KA-GOA) side is a lethal one; got cheap thrills to note that the overloaded XUV solidly beached itself on it. Could hear the crash over the music; they had to get out to assess the damage.

In summary to all long wheelbase sedan drivers,do not get hurried over such monster speedbreakers or ditches. Pull over safely on the shoulder and observe a few cars going over. Then choose your approach & exit angle. It's better to 'waste' 30 seconds than to damage your undercarriage, or even worse the sump
itwasntme is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
There is one more unique thing I noticed, big pothole right next to a huge speed breaker.
Very common in Bangalore, the speed breaker acts as a dam, water collects on the side which is higher, results in a pothole just after /before the said speed breaker, resulting in car underbody scrape
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:04   #27
One
BHPian

Quote:
Would have made most real crabs proud.

What makes this an even more impressive feat of driving is that you are driving completely out of tune in a zen state inspite of the temptations of that catchy song

Last edited by One : 23rd June 2022 at 09:06.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As ordered . Would have made most real crabs proud.
OT:
And the sound from seconds 56 onwards. Even if you ignore the song, one can’t ignore the revving. This was lovely.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:30   #29
BHPian

We should be thankful to the parties who are making such roads, and those babus who are approving such work, for their contribution to the gdp of the nation, by increasing vehicle wear and tear, and thereby resulting in more spare parts sales, more work for the a.s.s. and fng’s, more scrapping and more new vehicle sales, and more fuel sales.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 23rd June 2022 at 09:34.
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Didnt notice this during drive through that section last Dec.

It was past this, while coming towards Hubli side we noticed couple of bad ones. Distinctly remember, two similar concrete ones while inside the forest in the work in progress stretch.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks