Team-BHP - Falling stone cracks front windscreen
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Falling stone cracks front windscreen (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/25344-falling-stone-cracks-front-windscreen.html)

A couple of days ago my Optra was parked in the portico of the house for the night and the next morning, while cleaning the car, the driver showed me a small dent in the roof. It was caused by a stone slightly larger than a pebble falling from 4 floors of a house being constructed in the adjacent site. I cursed the construction workers and told the driver to just clean the car and park it in the garage as I would be using the santro on that day.
From outside the damage seemed minimal and so i just let it go. The next day was a sunday, and I had to attend a function, so I sat in the optra and noticed some cobweb like streaks just under the rear view mirror, on closer inspection, to my horror, saw that the windsceen had cracks on it.
being sunday there was no one at the construction site but for the watchman, so called him over and showed the damage and asked him for the contact numbers of the concerned ppl. He claimed ignorance and said he'd inform his boss he next day.
On monday morning waited for the supervisor of the site to arrive and gave him a piece of my mind and asked him to pay for the damages. he gave me the number ofthe contractor. Spoke to that guy and he was apologetic and asked me to get a quote for the repairs.
Called up sundaram motors and was told that the glass along with labour and sealant would cost 13000 k. asked my driver to get a written quote and off I went to my insurance agent.
I was again asked for the quote and a letter asking for the claim. I was told that would be paid 100% of the windscreen cost and the labour. But 50% of the rubber beading and sealant.
On a hunch I called up windscreen experts and they gave me a quote of 8965/- all inclusive for the same Asahi India glass. Moreover they said they had cashless facility with united India, my insurance co. and so I need to pay only about 1500/- from my pocket.
Sundaram had earlier told me that I had to leave the car overnight, but windshield experts asked for just a day.
My dilemma is which of the two options is better. Convenience wise windshield experts are my choice, but would it have any effect on the fitment or are they as good if not better than the A.S.S?

By the way, the contractor has agreed to pay 10k (he pleaded and I didn't have the heart to be tough with him). A couple of pics of the damage.

Guys, help me out in deciding. thanks.

Go with the WE. They do as good a job if not better than any A.S.S. And since they are quoting a far lower price it should be simple.

If the contractor is paying you 10k what the heck are you claiming the insurance for? Do not loose the NCB unnecessarily.

Go for windshield experts,they do a good job.I had got my cousins sierra windscreen replaced there as there was no stock with TATA people,They took only about 2-3 hrs for the job:Cheering:

let the contractor pay you the costs of sealant etc ie about Rs.2000 and get the glass fixed by WE on ur issurance since this happend due to negligence of that contractor. dont charge him 10K for that if u insurance co is willing to pay for it ;)

Yes, Get it done with Windshield Experts and if anything remains of the 10k, reimburse it to the contractor.He seems nice.

Iam surprised at the contractor agreeing upon so easily & willing to pay you 10k. That too after two days.

Windshield does a good job & I had seen them replaced glass for an UNO and OHC in less than a hr (seperately).

A.S.S keeps margin in that & also time consuming. WE does it at your doorstep

Actually am feeling very guilty about taking the money from the contractor if i claim insurance. but all said and done, he is in a way responsible for the damage not to talk about all the debris which keeps falling into our compound every day. I park my cars on the road during daytime to avoid mishaps. What if it had been more than just a cracked windscreen?? Would i have been so nice to him? I don't think so.

So, windshield experts it is then.Thanks guys.

Do WE also have the sun shade strip. The optra has the green shade on the top.

Lukesy,

Go with WE but do not let the contractor away (nice guy he is or not) - it was his fault and he better pay for it.

So if he is coughing up 10K , please do take it. he aint doing you a favour.

Go to WE, I recently got my zen's windscreen replaced and they did a pretty god job. I just had to pay Rs.1148 and rest was billed to my insurance company United India as they offer cashless facility with them.
They also provide 1 yr guarante.

when you claim insurance your "no claim benefit" would be affected next year and your premium will be higher. the contractor should pay for that difference. check this out with the insurance company.

I was told that if you give it in the service center, they anyway outsource it to WE or a similar organization which deals exclusively with automotive glass. The service centers do not usually have this expertise internally. So why pay the middleman charges?

If you are getting money from Contractor, just dont claim insurance, you can avail the no claim bonus in next renewal....

I wud say take the money from the contractor no mercy here....They shud have been responsible for it...What if a kid was standing there at that moment????

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 473336)
If the contractor is paying you 10k what the heck are you claiming the insurance for? Do not loose the NCB unnecessarily.

Absolutely. Don't touch your insurance.

Lukeskywalker, sad to see the crack on the glass. Looks a lot bigger than what my car recieved thanks to a flying stone which a Santro kicked up.

Get the money from the contractor, and put in the remaining amount to get a new windscreen. Dont go about claiming insurance for the same. Let the NCB remain intact.