Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 21:41   #1
BHPian

Bike accident with Scooter

Today I had a accident where my bike hit a scooter (Honda Activa). I took a right turn from the road adjacent to the petrol bunk on 16th main BTM towards Jayadeva flyover and was coming down. Near the water tank a honda activa suddenly slowed and came to the left without any indicator. I was right behind it and smashed into it from its left and my right. My crash guard rubbed through its side and the bike guy fell down.

I initially got very angry and shouted at him, but then since there were no injuries to anyone I said sorry and told him to take care the next time and even lifted his scooter and parked it to the side. Then I again patted his back and told him to take care and was about to set off in my bike when he suddenly came and stopped me. He tried to pull out my key and prevented me from going away. I stopped and he showed me a dent in the scooter and started saying that it was my fault. The guy didnt know kannada and was talking in Hindi. I too was conversing in hindi with him.

He then called someone and said that someone is coming over. I waited for 10 mins and said that if someone is coming tell them to come fast else I am leaving. I also told him a few times to come to the police station which he refused saying someone is coming and then we can go. I spoke a couple of time to some lady who claimed that her sister is riding the scooter and then that it was my fault and then that I spoke rudely to the person without saying sorry also. I spoke very decently to her and then finally she asked me to go to the police station and tell her name and then see what happens. She was a *****(telugu caste) and said she owned 3 houses in that BTM area and her husband is working in *****(software company). I said thats fine and asked the guy on the scooter to accompany me to the police station since his landlady told me to do the same.

On the way he slowed down and stopped at the turn before the Mico layout police station. I waited for 5 minutes in front of the police station and then I left the place when he didnt turn up. I was apprehensive that he might bring the landlady and they might change the story.

When I was coming back I realised a couple of very bad mistakes on my part.
1) I should have noted down his registration number. Very big bad on my part. I wonder if he noted down mine when he stopped before the police station. It scooter was a beige colored Activa and thats all I remember.
2) I should have taken some pics after the accident. I read a lot about taking pics on TBHP but it just slipped my mind during this situation. I would have had solid proof of him coming from the middle of the road without indicators(it was off when the scooter was on the ground). I would have also had proof that it was a guy who was riding the scooter.

Now I am very scared of these goondas and rowdys and I hope they dont do something if they have noted down my bike number. Who knows what complaint they might register esp after she sort of hinted that the cops are on their side. Could you guys please advice me on what to do?
Old 19th June 2007, 21:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

hey hercules dont worry about it too much. It's a pretty standard practice in bangalore to pretend to call someone or threaten to go to cops. Nothing really happens. they think they can make money if they sense that the other party is being nice. Just to scare you into paying they tell you to come to police or say that they are related to some big shot of the area.

Take it easy noone is going to try and find you as such.
Old 19th June 2007, 22:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Take it easy noone is going to try and find you as such.
I do hope so too. I would have been a little more stern but for the fact that my wife was also with me and I wanted this thing settled before he brings a crowd there. I have heard lot of stories of rowdy types and I just dont want to get involved with it.

The first thing I could think of was to reach home and write on TBHP as I would at least have your moral support.
Old 19th June 2007, 22:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

hercules...just chill out...no one will bother to come back for a simple incident like this....anyways,...its also not possbile always to take photos when ur caught up in such situations...
Old 19th June 2007, 23:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey, hercules old boy, do i have to ask you to be strong ???? this is the oldest trick in the world, only the oldest profession in the world is older than this. rob the rich is the funda. these folks tried to make a quick buck & since you were more than willing to go to a police station, they quit. for all you know, that honda activa is a stolen one, in fact my premonition is that it is a stolen one. It is really quite easy to make a quick buck in bangalore & that is what a moron tried with you & failed. So dont worry about any follow up calls, if that does happen, just take them to your local police station & lodge a complaint.
Old 19th June 2007, 23:55   #6
BHPian

just forget about it that guy had only one intention on his mind that is to get money...and you know what if he had got the money he wouldn't have spent it to repair his vehicle instead he would have spent it on cheap liquor.... a guy like this is never smart enough to note down you reg number...was that guy a north indian... please dont get into fights and especially near btm and that particular place its dangerous...when it comes to police stations think before what you say...just relax and have yourself a beer
Old 20th June 2007, 00:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Man how can you be sure that the person you talk actually has some power or the person itself is talking it just could be someone trying to scare you and making a fast buck
don't be scared

And i am sure if somethings comes up the bangalore group will help you out]

so just chill
Old 20th June 2007, 08:55   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys for your support. I too believe that he was just trying to make a fast buck, but then one should always be prepared for the worst. The reason I wanted to get to a police station instead of talking there was that I felt this guy was a mechanic and it would have been tough if he had called over his mechanic friends from around BTM. That would have put me into a loosing situation.

Anyway, I have chilled out now and I really dont expect anything to happen. But seriously my blood boils at such things. I help this guy to the footpath, I lift his scooter off the center of the road and this is how he repays me. I have learnt time and again that in Bangalore helping others doesnt pay. Godforbid I come across any deserving accident victim and I walkaway without helping him. I would never be able to live with that.

I have had two accidents due to some rash cabbies and I never pressed any charges or even asked for money. I just requested them to drop me to a nearby hospital so that I could get myself patched up.
Old 20th June 2007, 09:25   #9
BHPian

Chill dude, whats the worst that could happen?

Ask him to lodge a police complaint if thats what he wants. A witness or a photo of the accident spot and damage would have helped (along with scooter number). That would mean that you could have lodged an FIR if needed.

Anyway, if he does lodge a complaint, your insurance would cover the damage for him. Go the legal way (even if it means few rounds or police station/court). How much would a dent repair cost you anyway. Fine for negligent driving if proved is still about 1k.

Do not encourage such people by paying up. If you did nothing wrong, there is nothing to fear.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

herculeskp, dont think too much about the incident, and let that bog you down. Nothing is going to come of it, and all the overaction there was just to see if you would pay up.

Get on with life pal. Such incidents are becoming all too common in Bangalore which was once quite peaceful. Somehow, i dont feel the old magic here anymore.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I have learnt time and again that in Bangalore helping others doesnt pay.
A good principle buddy, but keep that where ever you go its the same every where.
I attach my experience with helping others

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...xperience.html
Old 21st June 2007, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hercules, this is not a good time for you - this accident & now your in-laws; be careful buddy!
Old 21st June 2007, 15:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Get on with life pal. Such incidents are becoming all too common in Bangalore which was once quite peaceful. Somehow, i dont feel the old magic here anymore.
I agree, this place was very peaceful few years. now i see that people have become very impatient, frustuation has taken over and to top it all people try to take advantage of the situation.

Scarry!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks