Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 12:05   #1
BHPian

Wife's Parents had an accident on the way to Tirupathi

Just got the news from my wife. Her parents and her sister were on the way to Tirupathi from Bangalore. They left at 7am in a taxi/cab. They just called to say that they are on the way back as they had an accident.

It seems the brakes of the taxi failed and they hit an oncoming lorry. Luckily the lorry was at slow speeds and there was nothing serious supposdely. The car is fully smashed. Wife's sis has hurt her leg, dad hit his forehead (on the windshield presumably) and mom is in a state of shock. I hope no one is in a serious condition. They are in a bus on the way back from there and about 150kms from Bangalore.

The car driver is with the lorry as the lorry driver insisted on filing a complaint. I dont know what is the damage on the lorry that he wants to file a complaint. They called up the taxi company to report the incident when they got signal.

Thank god that nothing serious happened. We are just waiting for them to return home so that we can go and take a look as to what happened and how they are. Cant concentrate on anything now in office.
herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2007, 12:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, really sorry to hear about the accident but THANK GOD that all of them are safe. This was a providential escape for all of them. Let us know as you get more details. From the sound of it, the cabbie may have been at fault (apart from the brake failure) since the lorry driver is trying to file a complaint!

But why are they taking a bus back, surely a cab would have been quicker.....more so since your sister in law & dad have hurt themselves?

Last edited by suman : 21st June 2007 at 12:13.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Good to know that everyone is safe by God's grace!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
The car driver is with the lorry as the lorry driver insisted on filing a complaint. I dont know what is the damage on the lorry that he wants to file a complaint.
To ensure that the cab folks don't cook up a story and turn it against the lorry driver later. In India, one who is bigger is always at fault.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2007, 12:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

hercules, good to know they are safe.
Wonder how the brakes on the cab failed, though.

Since dad's head hit the windshield (assuming), looks like he wasnt belted up. Do try and inculcate that habit into them. Better safe than sorry.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

my god, must be really stressing not knowing what is happening. I hope all is well. Do get them checked completly at the hospital. If the car is fully smashed and there was a brake failure, it must have been either a head on or a rear ending. Please keep us posted.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is really pathetic news....God knows when these cab companies service their vehicles....Brake failures doesnt happen so often in modern day cars....unless there is no care/service done...

Nice that all are safe....Looks like it happened somewhere between the Mulbagal - Palamner stretch, Was the cabbie speeding the ghat section?
You will come know once they reach bangalore...

take care and ya tell you dad-in-law the importance of seat belts, hope he has realised by now...

Abhi
Old 21st June 2007, 12:30   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Glad to know that everyone is safe and sound. Do keep us updated on their situation on arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
Wonder how the brakes on the cab failed, though.
It can happen benny. You don't need a reason. I learned it the hard way when one of most sought after RELIABLE car had a brake failure . Had to drive almost 180kms without brakes as there were no spares available.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:37   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your concern guys. It really means a lot. We are just waiting for them to return home/reach bangalore so that we can leave office immediately. Luckily me and wifey work in the same office so we can leave together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
If the car is fully smashed and there was a brake failure, it must have been either a head on or a rear ending. Please keep us posted.
From what they said, I get the feeling that it was a head-on. I think the cabbie tried to overtake another vehicle and rammed a loaded lorry(else it wouldnt have been coming slowly, if not fully loaded) as he couldnt slow down from a failed overtaking because of the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since dad's head hit the windshield (assuming), looks like he wasnt belted up. Do try and inculcate that habit into them. Better safe than sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
take care and ya tell you dad-in-law the importance of seat belts, hope he has realised by now...
It seems he had just then unbuckled himself, for god knows what reason. Else he would have been ok or at least better. I think the driver was ok as he would have been holding tightly onto the steering wheel and prevented too much whiplash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
But why are they taking a bus back, surely a cab would have been quicker.....more so since your sister in law & dad have hurt themselves?
They were stuck in some remote place. There was no mobile signal there as well. They called wifey only about an hour after they were into the bus. Who knows how long they would have had to wait for an empty cab/car. I think some bus stopped to pick them up and they got onto it immediately.

Wifey spoke to her mom. Her mom wasnt able to talk at all an hour back but she seems to have got over her shock. Her dad has bruised his head and its swollen. Her mom has hurt her hands, head and legs. Her sis has hurt her legs and she is not able to move her right hand(either fracture or a tear - hope its only shock). From this update I cannot imagine that the impact was mild. It looks pretty much like a strong impact. I think the cab was an indica(they always take that) and if that has been smashed then
for sure it was a full blooded head-on impact.

They plan to go to a doc after taking some rest once they reach here. The situation looks pretty serious and I dont understand why they cant get it checked in some hospital on the way. I think they are not telling the correct details as my wife would get tensed(I know because I did a similar thing when we had an accident on my honeymoon). I will update you when they arrive back here.

This is the reason I hate travelling on highways(inter-state travel) in cabs/taxis(since my honeymoon accident). I dont like to leave my life in the hands of a third person. Thats one reason why I could never plan a trip together with them to tirupathi as they always travel by car. (mom-in-law is allergic to diesel and gets vomitting sensation at the slightest diesel fumes, so they never travel by bus). Last week wife and I went to tirupathi and back in a bus and this week my in-laws decided to go via car.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
(mom-in-law is allergic to diesel and gets vomitting sensation at the slightest diesel fumes, so they never travel by bus). Last week wife and I went to tirupathi and back in a bus and this week my in-laws decided to go via car.
If u just want to visit Tirupati, best way is by AP Tourism Volvo package (abt Rs1250 / head / trip) which includes a VIP darshan ticket + 2 laddoos as well....
And here in Volvo there will be no Diesel fumes as well....

As you said I also get really scared by these cabbies on long drives, they drive like hell... hence, I always prefer my own car...

Plus these cabbie drivers are almost exhasted everyday and they dont get their sleep properly within two trips...Owners do exploit them a lot...

Abhi
Old 21st June 2007, 14:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
And here in Volvo there will be no Diesel fumes as well....
Oh, If I remember correct, she is claustrophobic as well, so a bus where she cant open windows is again a no-no. :( ah well, you have to live with some things.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
God knows when these cab companies service their vehicles....Brake failures doesnt happen so often in modern day cars....unless there is no care/service done...
Abhi
Very true...

Couple of weeks back when i went to my usual garage, there was a Sumo (taxi) parked there that had come in for servicing/repair. I was shown the brake drum of that car. It had worn down to half its original thickness!!!
I shuddered to imagine that vehicle plying on the highways...

Amitoj
Old 21st June 2007, 14:15   #12
BHPian

Glad to hear they are fine and are on their way back. I have heard so many horror stories about the drive from Bangalore - Tirupati.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:16   #13
BANNED

Sorry to hear that.
May be that lorry guy wanst too file a report to save him self in near future, as many times Cab guys file a report of hit n run after the accident.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its very sad to hear about the accident , but its also very lucky that everybody is fine ...
Old 21st June 2007, 14:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

See the brighter side, Your parents in law are all fine. Thank god for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks