Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:53   #16
rks
BANNED

Always engage handbrakes and gear when parked. If on a slope press clutch to ensure that handbrakes are working and load is taken off the gears..

Last edited by rks : 22nd June 2007 at 16:58.
Old 22nd June 2007, 23:00   #17
BHPian

last couple of days have been bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
On my way to office this morning, I came across a freak accident. In from of the Magna store in Banjara Rd no 10 (near Ohris) a Palio hit a parked department supply truck.

What appears to have happened, the locked driverless palio was parked in the lane opposite the store. Possible the brakes was not engaged properly, so it rolled backwards across 2 lanes of traffic through the gap in the median, and hit the supply truck on it's side, parked in front of the store. The rear glass was visible smashed. No one was injured. Could not stop as I was late, but as I was going past the driver had just come. Being perpendicular to the road, traffic was getting a bit blocked as the Palio was across 3/4 of the road.

Quite a freak accident.
You mean it came across the divider from the road going to SBI offices !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Ufff...
Yesterday while going from Hi-tec city towards Kukatpally Housing Board, I parked my WagonR a side to buy some mangoes. After taking magoes, when I looked for the car, I was aghast, my car has gone. Looked around with anxiet, and found my car almost touching the divider staying across the road hal-a-kilometer away. What did I do, I forgot applying handbrake!. With cars zooming around 90 kmph on that road, my car miraculously escaped a major accident. Would have been disaster if somebody had hit my car. A coconut vendor, put a coconut under the tyre to prevent it from hitting the divider. Thanx to him a lot.

This taught me a good lesson, and I would never forget applying handbrake while parking.

@herculesksp; Agree with you
I think yesterday was a bad day, some drivers were like drunk monkeys. It took me over an hour to reach Road No 12 B Hills from Raheja IT park, the average is like 10 KMPH. On the way there were quite a few stalled vehicles and stalled vehicles. I was surprised to see some Innovas, mini buses, indicas, bikes cutting lanes and across even on slippery roads and low visibility conditions.
Old 22nd June 2007, 23:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I think yesterday was a bad day, some drivers were like drunk monkeys. It took me over an hour to reach Road No 12 B Hills from Raheja IT park, the average is like 10 KMPH. On the way there were quite a few stalled vehicles and stalled vehicles. I was surprised to see some Innovas, mini buses, indicas, bikes cutting lanes and across even on slippery roads and low visibility conditions.
Traffic sense is very bad in Hyderabad. There will be frequent jams between KPHB and HI-Tec city at the low underbridge to cross the track. I have seen many educated guys not keeping their respective lane and occupy the opposite lane causing a big traffic jam. Many times I questioned them why they are going in opp lane, and the answer I got from them was, mind your business. If the so called educated people do these things, god save the hyderabad.
Old 25th June 2007, 08:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
He meant Rd # 12, not 10.
Magna and Ohri's are on Rd # 12.
I too take Rd # 10 daily, and did not see any mishap.
Sorry...was offline for the weekend. Yes, it is Rd # 12. My mistake. The time was around 7:50am. I normally go to office a bit early.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
You mean it came across the divider from the road going to SBI offices !!
Nope. There is a break in the divider in front of Magna with a lane opposite this median break. There was no divider to stop the roll. It is an open turning gap.

||
||
||_____

______
||
||
||

Something like this... Spaces got removed, so the diagram is not accurate. And the driver who came running was in white uniform with a blue colour tag around his neck. Did not notice of the car has taxi plates, but it was not white colour. I felt it is a company car.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
1) When the door is locked(key/keyless) upon exit, automatically engage the parking brake
2) When car stalls, return the gear to first automatically(hydraulically)
3) No start without pressing the clutch. I think this is already present in Getz, right?
and we had a discussion on auto Vs manual gears.

(with some exceptions/alterations)
1. Auto will not let you take ur keys out unless you have put it in park. (which is similar to parking brake)
2. autos never stall, and always start in first gear (automatically )
3. you can not start it unless in park. and can not put it in gear unless brake is pressed.

there are other safety features too, We need more auto transmission cars. especially since car driving has become so common.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
and we had a discussion on auto Vs manual gears.

(with some exceptions/alterations)
1. Auto will not let you take ur keys out unless you have put it in park. (which is similar to parking brake)
2. autos never stall, and always start in first gear (automatically )
3. you can not start it unless in park. and can not put it in gear unless brake is pressed.

there are other safety features too, We need more auto transmission cars. especially since car driving has become so common.
That sounds interesting. I didnt know autos had those features too. I was reading about autos and especially CVTs last week. Sounds really great. It finally time when one could just forget about gears and clutch esp during traffic and just concentrate on the pure pleasures of driving.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
3) No start without pressing the clutch. I think this is already present in Getz, right?
Is it true?. Even on neutral?.
Old 26th June 2007, 00:03   #24
BHPian

could even be Ohri's fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
...ot accurate. And the driver who came running was in white uniform with a blue colour tag around his neck. Did not notice of the car has taxi plates, but it was not white colour. I felt it is a company car.
Never mind wherever. The guy could even be the valet parking fellow for Ohri's near by.
Old 26th June 2007, 00:12   #25
BHPian

Yup, almost crashed in to an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Traffic sense is very bad in Hyderabad. There will be frequent jams between KPHB and HI-Tec city at the low underbridge to cross the track. I have seen many educated guys not keeping their respective lane and occupy the opposite lane causing a big traffic jam. Many times I questioned them why they are going in opp lane, and the answer I got from them was, mind your business. If the so called educated people do these things, god save the hyderabad.
I find it so difficult to stick to my lane because of such indiscipline fellows. I almost got tempted to crash in to Honda city fellow the other day. I was in right lane going towards Madhapur from HiTech city. One sick fellow was trying to squeeze in front of me from left. I wanted to get away, so 40 KMPH in 2nd gear I am off. The guy comes deliberately from my left again cuts a few lanes of traffic and does the same thing. I got tempted to **** him flashed ma lights and vroom, the guy moves to left lane and gets away... I did not want to make it more dangerous for us and others so left him alone (of course a few middle finger exchanges always). I almost felt like crashing in to him.

I have not seen this kindaa educated idiots any where else.
Old 26th June 2007, 01:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Oh! Hyderabadis and their painful driving manners. Always a very painful subject, this one is. Almost all jams, including the ones under that bridge underpass (used to be a nallah actually) towards kukatpally are always caused by smart*ss drivers who think they are the cleverest ones born on this planet. I almost always feel like getting down and holding one of these morons by the scruff of their neck and asking "did you think rest of us are all fools to be in this queue?". As if I do not know how to jump the queue by taking the wrong side of the road. First they jam the opposite side of the road and then they try to push you off the road by cutting across you to get back in the lane when they see a heavy vehicle approaching from the opposite side or a traffic constable standing in front. The result is almost always the same. A slow moving queue comes to a complete halt and then traffic keeps piling on.

P.S. : Normally what I do is that the moment I realise that a moron after jumping the queue is now going to try and squeeze into the queue I close the gap completely.

By the way, that middle finger exchange or headlight flashing or protest honking can be dangerous. Recently a guy from one of the hi-tech city companies was beaten up with a car jack very badly. The moron who cut across him in a scorpio apparently did not like the protest honking and flashing. So the bugger braked like a maniac in front of the car and then deliberately reversed hard and hit the poor Santro guy breaking his front completely. And then proceeded to hit him with his jack. The worst part is that after that this stupid left coolly and apparently nobody notice either his vehicle no. or could even describe this guy properly to the police.

Last edited by Zappo : 26th June 2007 at 01:06.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Zappo, what you mentioned in your first para is very common even here in Bangalore. Its not restricted to the Pearl City alone.

Sick these guys are.. for sure.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Is it true?. Even on neutral?.
yup bro..getz wont let u start without depressing the clutch fully. Also for all other cars you should depress the clutch. Read it in many car manuals as well.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainak View Post
yup bro..getz wont let u start without depressing the clutch fully. Also for all other cars you should depress the clutch. Read it in many car manuals as well.
There is no need for me to depress the clutch to start my WagonR. Only the Getz has this system of depressing the clutch to start. Indeed a very good safety feature.
Old 26th June 2007, 17:25   #30
BHPian

True and agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Oh! Hyderabadis and their painful driving manners. Always a very painful subject, this one is. Almost all jams, including the ones under that bridge underpass (used to be a nallah actually) towards kukatpally are always caused by smart*ss drivers who think they are the cleverest ones born on this planet. I almost always feel like getting down and holding one of these morons by the scruff of their neck and asking "did you think rest of us are all fools to be in this queue?". As if I do not know how to jump the queue by taking the wrong side of the road. First they jam the opposite side of the road and then they try to push you off the road by cutting across you to get back in the lane when they see a heavy vehicle approaching from the opposite side or a traffic constable standing in front. The result is almost always the same. A slow moving queue comes to a complete halt and then traffic keeps piling on.

P.S. : Normally what I do is that the moment I realise that a moron after jumping the queue is now going to try and squeeze into the queue I close the gap completely.

By the way, that middle finger exchange or headlight flashing or protest honking can be dangerous. Recently a guy from one of the hi-tech city companies was beaten up with a car jack very badly. The moron who cut across him in a scorpio apparently did not like the protest honking and flashing. So the bugger braked like a maniac in front of the car and then deliberately reversed hard and hit the poor Santro guy breaking his front completely. And then proceeded to hit him with his jack. The worst part is that after that this stupid left coolly and apparently nobody notice either his vehicle no. or could even describe this guy properly to the police.
Its not on a regular basis I do this, was really irritated by this guy cutting like a whatever on wet congested roads. Thanks for bringing this incident to notice, I will keep in mind such morons hang around in city.

Actually this incident does not even come near what I faced near Chityal. There was a line of trucks ahead of me so I resisted trying to pass thinking there is a possible traffic jam. Every one started passing and I was left at the end. So thought it is not a jam, so I could try passing the trucks. I could not and there was on coming traffic so got off the road on the RHS not to block traffic and started moving ahead slowly to pull back in when there is gap. When I tried to pull in an Omni blocks me from getting in blocking oncmoing traffic too. I think the guy was a gunman to some MLA, he comes with a gun in palm trying to tell me some thing. I told him what happened, he would not listen. I had no clue he was a gunman, so when I stopped ahead I tried to explain him and mentioned help if you can but do not make the situation worse. He tried to come back to me time and again holding pistol in palm, I was not budging in. He left muttering, shouting, ...
Later I came to know through some on people got killed in such situations near Chityal/ Chautuppal. but you know these are once in bluemoon experiences.

Last edited by sreenivass : 26th June 2007 at 17:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks