Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 10:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Street View now available in India

Google is set to launch the Street View feature in India. This service, which is part of Google Maps, will be first introduced in 10 cities.

Google Street View now available in India-screenshot-20220728-104101.jpg

At present, Google Street View is available in Bangalore as part of a pilot project. Soon, the feature will be available in Hyderabad and Kolkata. Later, Google will add Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Nasik, Vadodara, Ahmednagar and Amritsar.

Google Street View was banned by the government of India citing security concerns. However, under the new National Geospatial Policy, 2021, local companies can collect such data and license it out to foreign companies, paving the way for Google to introduce the feature in India. This time, the company has partnered with Genesys International and Tech Mahindra.

In the initial phase, Street View will cover 1.50 lakh km across 10 cities. By the end of this year, the company plans to expand the service to 50 cities, covering almost 10 lakh km.

Google Street View offers high-definition 360-degree views of streets, tourist spots, etc. It uses panoramic and street-level 3D imagery.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 28th July 2022 at 10:44.
TusharK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Street View now available in India

A friend of mine sent this. Apparently it is not covering all places in the city yet. I checked my suburban Madras location and it is there. But heart of the city street in T.Nagar does not. Similar story for Bangalore too. It was nostalgic to see my old Bangalore residence, but my former workplace isn't there.

Mappls (Map My India) Real 3D view also went live yesterday. Had a cursory look and saw they had some highway coverage as well.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:01   #3
BHPian

This is great news, however I tried it for Bangalore and Delhi maps. Still have miles to go before it becomes as flawless and smooth as in US / UK. Hopefully, in times to come and with their partnership with local players like Genesys International, they are able to map it out soon.
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:05   #4
BHPian

Checked out today morning and I see my area is covered in street view.
Amazing stuff and this will be easy to reach a tricky addresses in Bangalore.

What google didn't do is that they didn't capture my latest car in the parking
I see my old car in street view
GRAND23 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:18   #5
BHPian

Just checked out this morning, a lot of places I visit are covered including my own.
This is great! The images are also high resolution, I could zoom into some balconies (I wonder how this affects privacy!).
Next time, I see a Google Car around - I will try to look smart
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well rendered, surprisingly hi-res. Boy does my street look shabby!

Looking at the images from my neighborhood, they seem to have been captured between Feb and June this year.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:49   #7
BHPian

I could see my house all decorated for the house warming we did in Feb .
Everlearner is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
they seem to have been captured between Feb and June this year.
Month and year of capture is on the bottom right. Most of the Bangalore and Madras street views I saw are from April 2022.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Google Street View was banned by the government of India citing security concerns. However, under the new National Geospatial Policy, 2021, local companies can collect such data and license it out to foreign companies, paving the way for Google to introduce the feature in India. This time, the company has partnered with Genesys International and Tech Mahindra.
Though Street Views are fun, and even somewhat useful, I'm not sure if the tradeoff with security is worth it. The above almost seems like circumvention of the security intent.

The upside: Some fun, and a little convenience.
The downside: Those who are threats to society would find it easier to target - be it a house burglary or a wider scale attack. With how lone-man attacks are increasingly prevalent in the world, for a country like India, this seems like a bad idea.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Those who are threats to society would find it easier to target - be it a house burglary or a wider scale attack.
How does this make it any easier? I can understand if these were drone shots of a sensitive installation like an army base or something like that. But street view? Anyone who wants to break in to a house will anyway walk around a couple of times during the day and see the same thing in the same detail. I'm not sure how these images make things less secure.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:47   #11
BHPian

Wasnt this already available in India? I remember looking at street view images and rotating and panning around? Even now its available in my city Vadodara. And even before this I've used this several times before travelling. Am I missing something? Because I am pretty sure this was present earlier unless theres something else which has been recently launched?
Old 28th July 2022, 13:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Though Street Views are fun, and even somewhat useful, I'm not sure if the tradeoff with security is worth it. The above almost seems like circumvention of the security intent.
Not sure about the security but someone can potentially challenge Google saying it compromised their privacy/personal space. You can't put a photograph of a person without their consent in the public domain. I see numerous people frozen without their awareness and are viewed by 100s of people everyday.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:26   #13
BHPian

I think it is already available here in India in some areas. I remember to see my under-construction flat near Pune. However, it was not updated frequently back then. I checked today and found an updated street view of my area (May 2022). It is not available for a sensitive area like an army containment board though.

Quote:
Not sure about the security but someone can potentially challenge Google saying it compromised their privacy/personal space. You can't put a photograph of a person without their consent in the public domain. I see numerous people frozen without their awareness and are viewed by 100s of people everyday.
Valid point. Even though they are blurring the face of people, still it is questionable.
Old 28th July 2022, 15:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Google is set to launch the Street View feature in India.
Me and my wife in google street view

Google Street View now available in India-googlestreetview1.png

Google Street View now available in India-googlestreetview2.png

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:41   #15
BHPian

I checked images from my locality near Bellandur, Bangalore and found that these images were clicked a few months ago. 3 to 4 months ago, a new concrete drain was laid in front of our apartment. Google Street View has the drain construction in progess. The road is shown in tatters, although it got re-tarred a month ago. After the monsoon, the road will again match google street view photo, I'm sure
ankan.m.blr is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed