Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 03:39   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving barefoot / without shoes....

I tried driving barefoot, but I felt that my entire foot was not evenly balanced on the pedals. I had to struggle to keep my foot on pedal and ankle on the floor mat base at the same time !

Wearing a shoe gives that extra 2-3 cms on both sides (toe and heel), so one does have an evenly placed foot on the pedals.

I learnt driving wearing a floater or a sport shoe at times. When I went to work for the first time wearing a formal shoe, I felt uncomfortable for a few kms.

Now I am used to floaters, sport shoes, formal shoes, ethnic shoes, but can't still drive barefoot !
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:59   #137
BHPian

I can drive with any shoes on - but I love driving with barefoot especially on Highway trips. That too, when I switch the AC to "Face and Feet" mode, I just love it when the cool air hits my feet. Even during city drives, I prefer to drive bare-footed. Till now I have never felt any kind of fatigue hit me!

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 22nd May 2015 at 10:01.
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:04   #138
BHPian

I found it comfortable driving barefoot since I have big feet. I am able to use my big toe on the accelerator pedal. However, I noticed that the heel on my foot tends to get black and start cracking. Besides, tying and untying laces on my shoes every time I drive is a big inconvenience. Therefore, I prefer to drive with shoes.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:09   #139
Senior - BHPian

Many people learn driving barefoot. That habit sticks. While it is an individual's choice, I prefer keeping my footwear on.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:28   #140
Senior - BHPian

Had never driven barefoot until November last year.

Had fractured my right ankle and was resting for a couple of months till November when I started the physio therapy and, out of no where and expecting a big "NO", I asked the physio whether I can drive a car. To my surprise, he said its good exercise for your feet pressing & depressing the pedals, but do not go all out and first try driving in an empty space.

That was it for me. Same day, night, got my car out and drove at midnight in my society back lane. I was quite at home driving it even barefoot. mostly used the upper part of the feet. Thumbs & fingers used on the Accelerator, whereas half the upper feet for the brakes. Left leg was fine and hence no issues operating the clutch.

OT: People were almost always shocked to see the driver door open, and the first thing to come out of the door was the four legged walker assist.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:06   #141
Senior - BHPian

Driving barefoot is fine, but please remember to NOT leave the footwear in the driver-side foot-well, as it can get entangled with the pedals when you are least expecting it.
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:08   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Bathroom slippers, floaters, chappals and sandals are all HIGHLY dangerous to wear while driving. So are oversized rugged hiking shoes with gripping heels that weigh a lot. I suspect high heels and platforms are as well.
Completely agree with this! Maybe not floaters / sandals as they do offer support and do not slip off that easy.
In fact, the only time I have driven without footwear is when I was wearing slippers and was driving someone else's car - Was just not comfortable, so removed the slippers.
Interestingly, I am most comfortable in my office shoes - so long drives and such will see me in formal leather shoes.
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:03   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsats View Post
I ve been a silent observer of this website for quite sometime now, and must confess that i ve leart so much from the Gurus here in this forum.
I know of many people who prefer to drive barefoot. In fact I too drive bare foot when I am tired. Specially after a round of golf because my feet hurt like hell after having to walk 8 kms in those golf shoes.

Also direct A/C blast to the bare feet help in cooling the body down faster during summer months.

Last edited by ampere : 14th August 2017 at 07:07. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 4th August 2017, 18:37   #144
BHPian

Bumping up a 2 year old thread.

I have driven automatics for 5 years in the US always with shoes and never had any problems. I'm a new manual transmission driver and I had semi-formal driving lessons wearing sandals.

When I bought my new car last month, my friend suggested to try driving barefoot as I had problems judging the mid point in clutch with shoes/sandals on. This really helped me to acquaint with the car to the extent that I now prefer driving barefoot only. I have driven with sandals and work shoes seldom as well with no major issues.

But today had an horrible experience in stop and go traffic in a major junction with my New Balance sneakers on which has a thicker sole than a normal sandal would. I kept stalling the car couple of times as I couldn't feel the clutch correctly at all and I had to remove my shoes to drive normally again. This left a scar and I now wonder if I will ever be able to go back to driving normally with shoes at all.

Do share if you have had similar experience and later turned it around.
Old 14th August 2017, 06:41   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
It is a matter of practice. I have a friend who is driving for last 10/12 years still, drives barefooted. Wear your new shoes and take the car to an open road and your confidence will come back in no time.

Last edited by ampere : 14th August 2017 at 07:07. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
hok kolorob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
20 years ago, my instructor asked me to take off my footwear to start with the driving lessons.

So, all my driving classes were done without shoes on, then I got my license and started driving our own car (dad's car, I was a student then).

The first thing my dad told me when I started driving our own car was to put the shoes / sandals on while driving. He was very adamant about it. I was worried whether it will reduce the "feel" on the clutch pedal but guess what, that feeling stayed only for two days.

Just start doing it and you'll get accustomed in no time.

Having to take your shoes off before driving is very inconvenient and it can be embarrassing in some situations.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th August 2017 at 12:34.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:23   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hok kolorob View Post
It is a matter of practice. I have a friend who is driving for last 10/12 years still, drives barefooted. Wear your new shoes and take the car to an open road and your confidence will come back in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Just start doing it and you'll get accustomed in no time.

Having to take your shoes off before driving is very inconvenient and it can be embarrassing in some situations.
Thanks both! I definitely thought the same and hence attempted to drive with shoes after 3 weeks of driving barefoot/with socks. I will give it more attempts and time. It's definitely a chore to remove and put on shoes back every time, also embarrassing in some social situations as you said.
Old 14th August 2017, 13:32   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go to an open ground, adjust your seat according to your shoe, and practice for 30 min. That is all you need to overcome this situation.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 14:31   #149
BHPian

Quote:
.....I will give it more attempts and time. It's definitely a chore to remove and put on shoes back every time, also embarrassing in some social situations as you said.
On my first day of driving training I turned up wearing sneakers but the driving instructor objected to it and asked to come in sandals or barefoot. I learnt my driving wearing sandals but changed to shoes in no time. Nowadays I am not comfortable driving barefoot or even wearing a sandal or slippers.

Again as mentioned by other members it is just a matter of practice and you will be alright in a few days. You can try driving with shoes with thin soles for some days, something like converse shoes.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 16:06   #150
BHPian

Quote:
....I had problems judging the mid point in clutch with shoes/sandals on. This really helped me to acquaint with the car to the extent that I now prefer driving barefoot only. I have driven with sandals and work shoes seldom as well with no major issues.

But today had an horrible experience in stop and go traffic in a major junction with my New Balance sneakers on which has a thicker sole than a normal sandal would. I kept stalling the car couple of times as I couldn't feel the clutch correctly at all and I had to remove my shoes to drive normally again.
Getting the hang of releasing the clutch and accelerating is a bit of an "art", if I may say so. Much like music, dance etc., it just takes a bit of co-ordination that your brain needs to learn. Give yourself practice and time. Take the car to an open space where there is no traffic and repeatedly practice to get your feet to sense the clutch engaging. I have used this method to have many that I know to be able to drive with footwear. The sooner you do it, the better. I would not suggest that you drive without footwear since you would need to "unlearn" a lot more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks