Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Riju, i guess EMD may have dumped the clutch by accident, or maybe he hasnt gotten the hang of it. That may explain why the ignition got switched off.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Can you post pics of the damage.. Would be better able to suggest..
also, which insurance do you have..

some are service centric and change doors if it calls for it..

some play funny, where in, u might need to make the damage look 'bigger'..
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:09   #33

Hey.. Is your car AVEO UVA or SPark?
THe Doors wont cost 60 K... for my Aveo it happened because of a Bus HIT after two days of taking delievery.. (we saling on same Boat, car) They claimed around 15 K per door... i gone for insurance as its just 3 days old!!!
The repair cost came to 35 K for me for changing one door, painting, removing some dents and the RIM!!! the damage is done..so better go for claim.. neways you may hardly loose 3 to 5 K from your pocket...
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:20   #34
BHPian

15k per door? For my Indica 2-3 years back, it was approx. 9.5k all inclusive. Of course, mine didn't have power windows. My car was 5 years old at that time and the depreciation was 50%. I didn't opt for insurance because of that.

Pradeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAst 'n furious View Post
Hey.. Is your car AVEO UVA or SPark?
THe Doors wont cost 60 K... for my Aveo it happened because of a Bus HIT after two days of taking delievery.. (we saling on same Boat, car) They claimed around 15 K per door... i gone for insurance as its just 3 days old!!!
The repair cost came to 35 K for me for changing one door, painting, removing some dents and the RIM!!! the damage is done..so better go for claim.. neways you may hardly loose 3 to 5 K from your pocket...
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

dude i know exactly how you are feeling. . .
I remember when i was young i had just bought my BSA Champ cycle. . and i was riding it home and i put myself and the cycle in the gutter on the leftside. It might sound funny now (even i laugh over the matter now), but at that point of time i know how bad i was feeling. . was thinking about all kind of thing,s
- bad omen,
- bad day to take possesion
- bad luck.

Anyways it makes you more carefull.
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

It's very sad to know what happened. But my suggestion is wait for couple of months till u get used to handling of the car and then go for repairs.....
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sad indeed. But why wouldn't the brakes work ? I know the power assisted stuff wouldn't be there, but it would still stop if you press hard enough. I guess he would have been shocked & could not react. standing on the brakes would have made the aveo come to a screeching halt.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sad indeed. But why wouldn't the brakes work ? I know the power assisted stuff wouldn't be there, but it would still stop if you press hard enough. I guess he would have been shocked & could not react. standing on the brakes would have made the aveo come to a screeching halt.
Well if you know that the brakes wont work when the engine is off then you would have stood on them, even then the braking wont be effective.

If you dont know that the brake wont work when the engine is off the tendancy will be to press the brake normally and panic when you realise that the car aint stopping.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If you dont know that the brake wont work when the engine is off the tendancy will be to press the brake normally and panic when you realise that the car aint stopping.

I've had those mild panics in my initial days of driving, but had plenty of time to adjust. Poor EMD did not have the time & would have been even more stressed out knowing it is a new car. But hitting the brake hard will make it stop just like when the ignition is on.
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

I fully understand the feeling. When I took delivery of my first 800 from the second hand dealer, I banged the left front corner in his gate while taking it out. So had to leave the car in his garrage after buying it. Lucky the guy didn't charge me for the damaged gate.

I want to join Esteem Lover in asking the same question - why did the brake not work? Did you press the clutch instead of the brake, by any chance? In the transition phase from riding a bike to driving a car it takes a while to get adjusted to everything.

Insurance or not is a question of cost benefit analysis. Do that after getting a quote for the job and also after carefully finding out from the insurance guys what the no claim benefit is going to be. By the way, to claim insurance you have to tell a small lie - that a truck did it whose number you couldn't note down. Don't tell them you banged it just like that. Truth doesn't always pay.

Change the door or just repair ? Depends on the extent of the damage. Generally metallic paints are difficult to match. But unless you know there is a touch up job done, it is not easy to tell.

Are the glass panes going up and down all right? If not then the damage is fairly serious. Even then it can be repaired like new. Unless the door is broken it doesn't really need to be replaced. If the scratches aren't deep enough, they can easily repair it, paint and then polish. You won't be able to make the difference. Even deep scratches can be repaired fine.

Unless the metal sheet is torn you don't really need to replace the door.

Remember - everyone goes through these things in life, not necessarily in a car. Cheers.
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Commiserations for the incident, @EMD. I can understand the feeling - a moron on a Bajaj scooter had damaged my pristine white Esteem when I was taking the family for a spin after buying the car - he was turning back and chatting with his pillion rider. Fortunately, only the plastic insert in the bumper gor ripped out.

But, I think "brakes don't work that well when the engine is off" logic is flawed. The boost of power brakes is not proportional to engine RPM at all (Howstuffworks "How Power Brakes Work". Even if the engine switches off, there is enough vacuum in the booster to provide normal working. Otherwise, Ralph Nader and others would have put all car manufacturers on the block long time back, for brakes not being effective when the engine is off - a matter of billions of dollars of Personal Injury Liability.

The power steering, on the other hand, stops getting boost almost immediately on switching off the engine. But, if the car is rolling, one can still control the car almost normally. At dead stop, it needs too much arm power.

If you had been driving a car with neither earlier, your reaction in that condition would be uncharacteristic. Be careful, the difference in dynamics can be unnerving and dangerous especially under conditions that are the subject of a crucial exercise in automobile system design: Failure Mode Effect Analysis.

Safe and happy driving, buddy, enjoy your ride.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd July 2007 at 21:53.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:22   #42
BHPian

Bad Time

Sorry for you man. Last year when I was waiting in a signal a lorry banged my right side by misjudgement by the driver. This costed me around 35k. I got around 28500/- from oriental insurance. Now I do not have the car as I sold it. I guess it should cost u around this much.
Take care and drive safe dude!!
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Well if you know that the brakes wont work when the engine is off then you would have stood on them, even then the braking wont be effective.

I confess that my eyeb@lls got knotted up and I became a dyslexic trying the decipher the above stunningly crafted post
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

very sad to hear that. I can understand how you should be feeling. I suggest you get it replaced and claim insurance. If the scratch is not minor the finish would not be that good if you repair them. First get to know what the formalities are. Since you ahve banged it on your apartment pillar there should not be a need for an FIR (others please comment) Enquire on what the formalities are. Ask the dealer for a quote.

And tell those idiotic rasKals who delivered you the vehicle why they did not educate you on these primary things. I just dont understand when we would reach a service level where people really care for others and just dont concentrate on SELLING!!!!
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
And tell those idiotic rasKals who delivered you the vehicle why they did not educate you on these primary things. I just dont understand when we would reach a service level where people really care for others and just dont concentrate on SELLING!!!!
Thats unwarrented for. Everyone makes mistakes, you would be good if you learn from it, than blaming someone else or the system

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks