Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 21:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
at least in bombay i feel most of the eye contact is because of some mistake made by the other driver. or maybe like when a pedestrian is walking across the street. you honk at them. they move out of the way but keep staring at you.
& then end up banging into someone else. Eye contact turns into fist & kick contact..... ....so keep the stare as brief as possible..

nevertheless, any sort of communication is very imp. for safe driving.

az
Old 4th July 2007, 22:10   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
@akash_m, I have to say that I disagree with your points 1. and 2. In these cases, it is *much* more important to watch the "body language" of the other vehicle (which you are either overtaking or approaching at a circle) than make eye contact with the driver, which could take up too much time and be a distraction.
Let me add that this is just my personal opinion, and applies specifically to critical situations where we may not have time to make eye contact. Eye contact *can* be useful in other non-critical situations. And eye contact is definitely recommended for pedestrians and cyclists before they cross the road. Here are some websites that I dug up:

LISTSERV 15.0 - SAFETY Archives

FAQs-Aggressive Drivers

Ask Ripley | Ask Ripley | Ask An Expert | Motoring | Telegraph

Epinions.com - Men Drivers are Like DOGS: Don't Make Eye Contact - It's a "Challenge"
Old 4th July 2007, 22:37   #18
BHPian

@Akash_M Nice observation man.

@sam I cant tell you how many smacks on the shoulder have I got and sometimes it really hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not if you get a nice smile you don't!
Well may be in Chennai but Delhi gals never smile at you. At time you can get a finger though
Old 4th July 2007, 23:00   #19
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post

2. The direct eye contact: Mostly used while entering or exiting a roundabout. You tend to look at the driver on your right or left, as the case may be and within split seconds it is decided who crosses first..!
Here is a website that recommends doing away with traffic signals and right of way altogether, and using the eye contact method to decide who will pass at interesctions:

BBC NEWS | UK | Removing signals 'would make roads safer'

But the catch is that this idea also requires the vehicles to slow down to less than 20 mph (32 kmph). The website clearly mentions this:

Quote:

Eye contact

Mr Hamilton-Bailey said: "Slower speeds and more intelligent driving appear to provide better capacity on our roads."

"At speeds below 20mph, two things happen.

"Firstly, it's much easier for pedestrians, cyclists and cars to mix together and secondly, we tend not to get killed in collisions at less than that speed.

"But more importantly, we make eye contact and humans are remarkably good at sending messages through eye contact, but we can't do that at speeds of more than 20mph."
Old 5th July 2007, 09:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Howlarious...Sam and absolutely true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Have you ever noticed that how women can always tell when you're looking?

The 0.8 second contact: There you'll be driving along and this pretty lady will be walking or driving, doing her own thing and the minute you look at her, that darned intuition tells her you're looking.
She'll look straight at you, making eye contact for exactly 0.8 seconds, before she looks away and you feel like a pervert. But you're not sure why you feel like that.

The "No contact required" contact
You own special lady doesn't even look up at you. She just knows you were looking at some woman(somehow) and whacks you across the shoulder. Hard. Never once takes the eyes off the magazine she's reading in the car.

Amazing.
Old 5th July 2007, 09:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Which is quite rare and seldom..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not if you get a nice smile you don't!
Old 5th July 2007, 10:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

I almost missed my company bus to office today.. Eye-contact and vigourous hand waving directed at the driver via his rear view mirror saved the day
Old 5th July 2007, 10:35   #23
BHPian

How about both of them staring at each other?Then it'll take you to the second level,verbal abuse..Avoid them.
Old 7th July 2007, 02:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wear sunglasses during daytime while driving!!

Most Viewed