Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 14:14   #16
JPL
BHPian

not proud of it and no offense taken. I think you should know how bangalore cops are !! its just that I got a good deal. And also if something has to happen it will, does not matter if you are riding/driving alone or with others. "hazardous driving" is what he put in the challan though we were not, just outside the friends house we were caught. I have no smypathy for the cops.

And I am not a criminal and also who does this everyday lol.

Some will understand, some wont thats all. no need to get such high on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
You are proud about it? No offence you might be thinking that you got out of it with a good deal, if somehad gone wrong that would have been a very bad deal. you would have repented all through out your life.

Many paid with thier lives for commiting such mistakes.

Fine is imposed so that none commits offense but if people can get away so easily its sad... i feel more then the law its the offender who might be at a loosing end, cause one day he will get into trouble.
Old 5th July 2007, 14:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
..... some of them are from IT.

LOL... so are they supposed to have a halo over their head instead??

I once got stuck behind this kid in a santro who was yakkin away on his cellphone in the middle of the road... i honked n flashed but to no avail. finally overtook him from left and asked him to pull over. had to use a few punju gaalis to get his attention though. Well, when he pulled over, he got a few more and amidst his "you know am a local here?" and "you dont know my dad" and "you dont know who i am", he also got a few tight ones across his face. Dunno whether he learnt his lesson or not but i had a helluva nice day!!
Old 5th July 2007, 14:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL... so are they supposed to have a halo over their head instead??
I thought IT folks are the educated lot and so will have some road manners, but sadly no! They are competing with cabbie folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
he also got a few tight ones across his face. Dunno whether he learnt his lesson or not but i had a helluva nice day!!
What is happening to BHPians? It is raining blows past few days!
Old 5th July 2007, 14:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

first EL, now amitoj... we all are well equiped in knuckle sandwiches. anyways, i personally always put it on speaker if i HAVE to take a call, else i always tell them that im driving. Even a hands free is not advisable as one will be distracted with the conversation. LAst week, a colleuge (yes from IT) finally ended paying a very hefty fine -cause he was caught talking on the phone. I did not sympathise as I have warned him on very many ocassions not to talk and drvie - his response was "areee- kya yaar, i can handle it" sad! (translation : what are you saying man .... )
Old 5th July 2007, 14:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought IT folks are the educated lot and so will have some road manners, but sadly no! They are competing with cabbie folks!
Umm... i dont recall having Road Manners as a subject in all 16 yrs of education... as a matter of fact, i dont recall even a single chapter on this matter anywhere! Let me recall if there was any such training when i started working.... ummm, nope, drawing a blank here as well.

Majority of truckers on the highways are a well behaved lot, compared to most of the city crowd on the highway.

My point is: Even 20 years of education will not teach you a thing about road manners.

I have come across some very well behaved cabbies in Bangalore who would put any so called educated driver to shame as far as driving manners are concerned.

Quote:
What is happening to BHPians? It is raining blows past few days!
Well, the kid had it comin....
Old 5th July 2007, 14:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

My point is: Even 20 years of education will not teach you a thing about road manners.

Even 100 years of education will not teach you everything in this world. We learn certain things from common sense. You either have it or don't have it. Education helps in refining our thoughts & as such you are expected to know certain things without being thought.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:10   #22
BHPian

Talking on the mobile while driving is definitely a no no.

Talking about paying the cops, niranjit, the very fact that you're bargaining, the cop would realize that you are a novice at this. Experts would skilfully get off with a lot less.

In Mumbai for example, accept your fault and quietly slip a 50 note (fine being 100). The cop will politely prompt you to follow the rules and let you go without a fuss. He would not like to waste further time and be on the look-out for next bakra. The cabbies make do with 20 (volume discount).

BTW, this might be dated as I havent had the occasion to do so for last 3 years. Im my last 7 years of driving in Mumbai I've been caught only 3-4 times. Ofcourse, these were minor offences like jumping a red light, when there was no traffic, or jumping a red light when its just turned red, or standing at a signal in the wrong lane (un-intentionally).

Last edited by risga : 5th July 2007 at 15:12.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Whoever defined that bluetooth headsets are illegal is a moron. In that case, talking to co-passengers should be banned as well.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Even 100 years of education will not teach you everything in this world. We learn certain things from common sense. You either have it or don't have it. Education helps in refining our thoughts & as such you are expected to know certain things without being thought.
OT but... hehe... the Glasgow suspects sure did undergo a lot of refinement studying medicine!
Old 5th July 2007, 15:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

OT..,but..hehehe our common law breakers are not terrorists.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OT..,but..hehehe our common law breakers are not terrorists.
Well actually they are in a way, if you look at it that ways. Those doing a jay-walk in the middle of a busy road, stunt riders on their crazy bikes or even the carwalahs who just zip and zoom through the melee of vehicles thus causing a few screeching brakes and choicest of epithets to fly around or maybe even cause an accident with their mindless acts are nothing but terrorists. Only that they operate on the roads and cause mayhem. So please...
Old 5th July 2007, 16:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
not proud of it and no offense taken. I think you should know how bangalore cops are !! its just that I got a good deal. And also if something has to happen it will, does not matter if you are riding/driving alone or with others. "hazardous driving" is what he put in the challan though we were not, just outside the friends house we were caught. I have no smypathy for the cops.

And I am not a criminal and also who does this everyday lol.

Some will understand, some wont thats all. no need to get such high on this.
Hmmm... but the question is DID you get a good deal? You got out cheap, yes. But as pointed out by a member this is something that at the very least you should be sheepish about. I do not see why you need to flaunt that as an achievement.
Old 5th July 2007, 16:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm... but the question is DID you get a good deal? You got out cheap, yes. But as pointed out by a member this is something that at the very least you should be sheepish about. I do not see why you need to flaunt that as an achievement.
True!

I once got pulled over by a cop because i had jumped a red light. Its a different matter that i did that because i could not see the single functioning red light because a bus that was doing the same was blocking my view. I did not argue or fight or try to bribe the cop. Just smiled and appreciated his work.. That helped in scratching "reckless driving" off the chalan.

Now IMHO, THAT is a good deal.
Old 5th July 2007, 19:24   #29
BHPian

oh yeah. Like everyone said, no matter what , talking on the cell phone will driving is def wrong.

However...

To Err is human
To forgive is not goverment policy.
Old 5th July 2007, 19:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Even 100 years of education will not teach you everything in this world. We learn certain things from common sense.
In these matters i have come to understand that Education alone does not in anyway contribute to the common sense of a person.

It boils down to the type of "filter" an individual has in his brains..

Most Viewed