Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 01:57   #1
BHPian

Economical Cops in Chennai

I was driving near Gemini Flyover on Wed morning around 9am when my cell phone beeped. Since it was an impt call, had to pick it up while driving. Just when I was seeing if there was a cop on the road, one came running towards me ( literally ), stopped me and told me that I had to come to the station to pay a fine of 1100/-.
Took me just 10 mins, to convince him. It looked like I was bargaining with a vegetable vendor. When he said 1100.. i started of at 50. We both quickly decided to end it at 100/-.

Later, thinking about it, I was cursing myself with the bad bargaining skills I have. Had I started at 10, I could have ended up paying him just 50.
Old 5th July 2007, 06:30   #2
BHPian

I am not sure about my reaction to this. Am I supposed to be happy that you got off for 100 bux or should I be sad that there is so much corruption in India or angry that you were putting other people's life at risk by talking on your phone while driving, that too near a flyover?
Centro-P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2007, 06:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is hilarious, hope we get such economical cops elsewhere too.
Old 5th July 2007, 07:40   #4
BANNED

Spend 250 bucks and get a hands free set. If you think that is value for money, spend Rs. 11000/- and get a bluetooth enabled handset.
Old 5th July 2007, 08:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you had started at 10, he would have been offended & asked you to pay the fine instead.
Old 5th July 2007, 09:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

Cops in Bangalore are more ruthless. They usually dont fall for anything less than 100 these days. That said, please do not answer the mobile while on the move.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2007, 09:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore cops need the money, boys. How else could they visit pubs & pay rents !!
Old 5th July 2007, 12:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

How can a call be so urgent that you have to take it while driving?

Whats wrong with pulling over and calling back?

I'm on the cops' side on this one --- except it should be a real fine, not cops' pocket money.
Old 5th July 2007, 12:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

it is a common site all over the india..they bargained very easily.
Old 5th July 2007, 12:30   #10
JPL
BHPian

When in college I was going to attend a friends brothers wedding and 3 of us were n a fiero and very neatly dressed etc.. just when we left one of our friends house we were caught by a cop.

The inspector was a nice guy and we paid 50 rs for triple riding, hazardous driving, no dl, no insuarance, no emission. one of the best bargains with a cop I had.
Old 5th July 2007, 12:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I hate people chatting on mobile for long while driving, that too they will slow down on the fast lane and start yapping on the mobile. And no matter, how long you honk or flip your lights, they are in their own world, and some of them are from IT.

Well, if someone calls you on the drive, just answer the call & tell them you are driving and will call back later!
Old 5th July 2007, 12:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

No offense..but DO NOT TALK ON THE PHONE WHILE driving..especially without handsfree..We loose concentration and may cause disturbances..unnecessary honking as also accidents..I've seen it happen in front of my eyes..

Nothing is more important..ELSE do the talking and then start driving..

I once caught an 'Idiot" who stopped his mobike right next to the median on a busy road to attend to his call..He couldnt care less that he was in the middle of a busy road..

Just imagine if all of us started to stop our vehicles in the road to talk..what a CHAOS!
Old 5th July 2007, 13:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post

The inspector was a nice guy and we paid 50 rs for triple riding, hazardous driving, no dl, no insuarance, no emission. one of the best bargains with a cop I had.
You are proud about it? No offence you might be thinking that you got out of it with a good deal, if somehad gone wrong that would have been a very bad deal. you would have repented all through out your life.

Many paid with thier lives for commiting such mistakes.

Fine is imposed so that none commits offense but if people can get away so easily its sad... i feel more then the law its the offender who might be at a loosing end, cause one day he will get into trouble.
Old 5th July 2007, 14:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Bangalore cops need the money, boys. How else could they visit pubs & pay rents !!

Anyone has idea what would be the salary for a constable grade?
Old 5th July 2007, 14:06   #15
BANNED

Just so all 'enthusiasts' are aware of the law, any usage of a mobile phone while driving, even with a bluetooth headset, is illegal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks