Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 14:43   #136
BHPian

Re: Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Absolutely inverted logic. If at low beam you can't see far enough to feel safe at your speed, then you need to REDUCE your speed! You should NOT permit yourself higher speeds by turning on high beam.

The only time high beam is acceptable is in fog, etc conditions that bring in poor visibility due to actions beyond your control. Needless to say, here too you should reduce your speed. And turn on high beam so that your visibility is improved and you are also visible to others coming towards you from the front.
I would disagree with this - high beams are not to be used in fogs - they would reflect back to you and reduce visibility further. Best to keep the beams low and turn on the fog lamps to prevent blinding yourself in a fog or rain. Any driver who has encountered fogs regularly would have experienced this.

High beams permit you to see longer distances in the night and are absolutely essential for safety at highway speeds - on highways - not on roads that are two way tracks where you risk blinding the driver on the opposite lane - and not in city roads where the mirrors would only blind the driver ahead of you.

Even on highways, I go on low beams when the road curves to the left, to prevent the opposite traffic from getting dazzled. This is to be courteous - and to do unto other as you wish others do into you!

Unfortunately, like all rules of sane driving (stick to your lane, use indicator before changing lanes, do not drive on the wrong side of the road), I regularly see high beams get misused - probably due to ignorance and/or lack of respect for other drivers.

Appropriate use is important to maintain safety and the convenience of all road users.
prad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 00:50   #137
BHPian

I returned from Nagpur to Pune yesterday night, entered Samruddhi expressway start point at 11:40 PM, exited at IC17 near Fatiyabad at Aurangabad and reached west pune at 7:30 AM.

There was quite a lot of concern from the family regarding Samruddhi expressway, unfortunate accidents have got lot of attention and overall a lot of folks who do not usually drive a lot have formed a negative opinion about it.

My experience was quite good overall, it became much easier than the first time.
- There was more traffic than my previous journey, at least 150-180 vehicles (50% Trucks, 25% each cars and tourist buses) compared to around 60-70 in the previous travel.
- Had cruise control for the entire journey, except when overtaking a few trucks / buses. I faced 3-4 instances where the trucks and cars were wayward in their lanes and had to honk on couple of cases, you need to be very careful while passing them as there maybe lapse in concentration from other vehicles.
- Animals: did not encounter any till IC-16 where I saw 2 dogs near the central space, was extra watchful given the other experiences. However, there were dead animals at multiple places.
- Amenities: I did not need fuel, but took a break at an HP pump, quite clean and got a tankful, diesel was 93.66 compared to 92.6 in Nagpur. Rest rooms were clean and there was a guy with hot but extra sweet tea. I saw a closed packaged snacks stall as well, but might be open only during the day. Around 3-4 cars were parked with occupants sleeping.
- Stationary Vehicles: Saw around 15 cars and 25-30 trucks through the journey, all parked on the shoulder. The cars were mostly folks taking a nap. However some of them were parked at the Interchange exits, though there is ample light, may not be the best place to park.
- Main grouse was that after passing IC16 (Ajanta exit in Aurangabad), all the boards were for Shirdi exit only, there was a time when I thought I missed the Fatiyabad IC17 completely. They should follow standard format and show the next exit first and below it the final or bigger exit.
- Google Maps: I realised the limitation of Google maps, whatever algorithm they use, the route was not accurate and the time was way off, when I started on Samruddhi expressway, my arrival time was 11:45 AM. Once it also asked me to exit the expressway and rejoin it, not sure what that was.

Aurangabad - Pune route was like trench warfare after the smooth sailing on Samruddhi expressway, Aurangabad - Ahmednagar surface is also not great with lots of patches and mini speed breakers. And my respect for truck drivers is up many fold after looking at how rashly the tourist bus drivers drive!
Meer is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:33   #138
BHPian

@narayans80 and others, is it realistically possible to do Mumbai exit point ( Bhiwandi bypass--Kalyan junction ) to Nagpur ( Expressway origin point ) via NH3--Igatpuri--Ghoti--Sinnar--Shirdi--SMM Expressway in 11 hours ?? I have considered 4 hours for Bhiwandi--Shirdi leg and 7 hours on Expressway thereafter till Nagpur ( inclusive of breaks)

I would be starting onward journey from Mumbai today evening and only agenda is to do a round trip on this Expressway, nothing else. Will make a U-turn at Nagpur and start driving back to Mumbai ( will take many breaks for naps in between ). Being a doctor, am used to power naps and going about my everyday life, including long night drives. Can't wait to plan for leaves. So, just want to do this as I have an off day tomorrow.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:21   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I have considered 4 hours for Bhiwandi--Shirdi leg and 7 hours on Expressway thereafter till Nagpur ( inclusive of breaks)
You can do the Shirdi to Nagpur starting point of Samruddhi expressway in 5-5.5 hours without break easily especially at night, keeping the car under 120 kmph speed limit throughout. You can figure out how much time you need for the breaks.

I am not sure about the Bhiwandi Shirdi leg, sorry.

Last edited by Meer : 3rd January 2023 at 20:23.
Meer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:56   #140
BHPian

Quote:
@narayans80 and others, is it realistically possible to do Mumbai exit point ( Bhiwandi bypass--Kalyan junction ) to Nagpur ( Expressway origin point ) via NH3--Igatpuri--Ghoti--Sinnar--Shirdi--SMM Expressway in 11 hours ?? I have considered 4 hours for Bhiwandi--Shirdi leg and 7 hours on Expressway thereafter till Nagpur ( inclusive of breaks)

I would be starting onward journey from Mumbai today evening and only agenda is to do a round trip on this Expressway, nothing else. Will make a U-turn at Nagpur and start driving back to Mumbai ( will take many breaks for naps in between ). Being a doctor, am used to power naps and going about my everyday life, including long night drives. Can't wait to plan for leaves. So, just want to do this as I have an off day tomorrow.
I just did this route a week ago. The drive from Ghoti to Sinnar is on double lane ghat kind of road woth decent traffic and will take minimum 1.5-2 hours. For rest of the stretch you can assume 3-4 hours. So Bhiwandi to Shirdi will be minimum 5-5.5 hours without break.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2023 at 21:14.
RashmiRathi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 07:38   #141
Senior - BHPian

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-f937705626f44365846106bebba4e5cd.jpeg

Rural RTO (Nagpur) Vijay Chavhan told TOI that the department’s flying squad carried out a special drive on e-way on January 1 as a part of the study. “During the drive, we found that over 50% four-wheelers were violating the prescribed speed limit,” Chavhan said, adding that the road is designed for speed up to 120kmph on flat, non-hilly terrain and 100kmph on hilly areas.

The first day of the study revealed that goods vehicles, including trucks, trailers, and even state-owned buses did not indulge in speeding. It was only the private four-wheelers which were seen driving at a breakneck speed. “Many vehicles were caught driving at a speed of over 150kmph, one SUV crossed us at a speed of 160kmph,” said Chavhan.

Source: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/nagp...w/96691732.cms

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 4th January 2023 at 07:40.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 11:06   #142
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
You can do the Shirdi to Nagpur starting point of Samruddhi expressway in 5-5.5 hours without break easily especially at night, keeping the car under 120 kmph speed limit throughout. You can figure out how much time you need for the breaks.

I am not sure about the Bhiwandi Shirdi leg, sorry.

Thank you so much for the response Oh my God!! What a fabulous Expressway, truly world class. India's most advanced expressway without any iota of doubt. The infrastructure is beyond expectation !! Kudos to Maharashtra Govt !!

Over night I drove Mumbai (Chembur) to Nagpur in 9 hours 55 mins inclusive of 30 mins break. Could do Shirdi to Nagpur 510 kms in 4 hours 20 mins non-stop with a literally constant driving speed of 120 kmph. Now on the way back to Mumbai. Will come up with a detailed post soon. This Expressway is exceptionally awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img_20230104_073105.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 11:51   #143
BHPian

I did Aurangabad - Nagpur on 25th December. For folks from Pune the Harsul Sawangi interchange is the best option to enter the Samruddhi Highway. Nagar city flyover is ready and well lit up in the dark. There is no need to enter Aurangabad city at all, just switch to the Aurangabad Dhule toll road and you get to the Harsh Sawangi interchange in few kms.

The actual Samruddhi highway itself is truly world class. Stray animals are there but like any other highway in India. The best part is stress free drive of 450+ kms which can be covered in 4 hours. Love the part that there are no toll booths stopping the flow in midst of the highway drive, amenities would come soon.

For the timing part..Started from Bavdhan Pune at 4 am and touched Samruddhi highway at 7.45 am and reached Nagpur at 12.15 in the noon. Unbelievable.
In fact the drive was so stress free that we carried on till Jabalpur for our MP road trip and covered a total distance of 1050 kms of stress free driving in a day on Indian highways. This situation is very encouraging.
heman_369 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 12:05   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
For folks from Pune the Harsul Sawangi interchange is the best option to enter the Samruddhi Highway.

For the timing part..Started from Bavdhan Pune at 4 am and touched Samruddhi highway at 7.45 am and reached Nagpur at 12.15 in the noon.
Any reason for not preferring the Shirdi interchange instead of Pune-Nagar-Aurangabad?
Old 4th January 2023, 12:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Any reason for not preferring the Shirdi interchange instead of Pune-Nagar-Aurangabad?
I guess atleast for me Pune-Aurangabad is a relatively less stressful drive than Pune Shirdi....also as mentioned above Nagar is no longer a problem and you don't need to enter Aurangabad city.

Last edited by heman_369 : 4th January 2023 at 12:13.
heman_369 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 22:25   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Attachment 2399700

The first day of the study revealed that goods vehicles, including trucks, trailers, and even state-owned buses did not indulge in speeding.

Probably this has more to do with most of the commercial vehicles having speed governors installed, limiting their top speed.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 22:35   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I did Aurangabad - Nagpur on 25th December. For folks from Pune the Harsul Sawangi interchange is the best option to enter the Samruddhi Highway. Nagar city flyover is ready and well lit up in the dark. There is no need to enter Aurangabad city at all, just switch to the Aurangabad Dhule toll road and you get to the Harsh Sawangi interchange in few kms.
Hi Heman, I think you mean the Maliwada Interchange as the Harsul Sawangi Interchange is after passing the Aurangabad city (either through the city or the bypass). So basically after crossing Waluj Industrial area, there are 2 options at the Dhule Road,

1) You take a left towards Dhule, go through 1 toll booth (65 Rs) and then join the Samruddhi expressway at Maliwada Interchange (IC17)

or

2) you take a right towards Beed / Solapur (Aurangabad bypass) and then join the Samruddhi Expressway at the Harsul Sawangi Interchange (IC16)

Time is mostly same through both routes, give or take 5-10 mins, I took the first option in both direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
For me, it is the known route, so I stuck to that and I was driving at night so did not have much issue with the traffic hotspots from Kharadi - Ranjangaon. However, I am also curious to know how the Shirdi route will work, will give us a better idea on which one is better. Also, as updated by Nararans80, the approach road to Shirdi interchange is not good, that played on my mind too.

Quote:
Now on the way back to Mumbai. Will come up with a detailed post soon. This Expressway is exceptionally awesome.
Wow, thats some motivation Vivek, have a safe drive back!

Last edited by Meer : 4th January 2023 at 22:38. Reason: Added more info
Meer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 18:54   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the response Oh my God!! What a fabulous Expressway, truly world class. India's most advanced expressway without any iota of doubt. The infrastructure is beyond expectation !! Kudos to Maharashtra Govt !!
+1. I recently did a Shegaon trip via Samruddhi Mahamarg. Truly a world class expressway. Most advanced in the country for sure. Waiting for Shirdi to Mumbai section to complete.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 20:20   #149
Senior - BHPian

And so, looks like there is finally a route from Pune to Nagpur via the Samruddhi expressway:-

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-pune-ngp-1.png
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 14:04   #150
BHPian

I travelled on Samruddhi Mahamarg during my trip to Raipur and it has made driving towards Nagpur a breeze. If you start from Pune in the early hours, one can very well reach Nagpur in around 9-10 hours while maintaining reasonable speeds & breaks. There is hardly any traffic on SMM and even 120 feels slow! For both the journeys it took us around 4-430 hours for covering distance between Aurangabad to Nagpur and back. Travelling all the way to Raipur from Pune is now possible in 15-16 hours.

While the roads and infrastructure wise it is fantastic, we are not used to such roads where there is very minimal to do and keep a driver engaged. Till the time we get used to more such Eways we will continue to see accidents on SMM. I will avoid driving on this kind of road in night, not for security but with nothing to do except twiddling the steering a few times it will be difficult to stay awake.

Last edited by scwagh : 7th January 2023 at 14:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks