Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2022, 14:52   #16
BHPian

re: Must-have features in Google Maps

Hello all.

How about Google introducing a "Convoy mode"? Imagine a scenario where a family is traveling in 2 or more vehicles. Given the traffic scenario in our cities, it is possible that the trailing vehicle(s) may lose sight of the one(s) in front. A "Convoy mode" can ensure that all vehicles will not only stick to the same route but the trailing vehicle(s) will also be able to keep up with the rest.

However, I am sure this feature can also be exploited to violate someone's privacy unless suitable safeguards are built in.
Flanker99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 16:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Imagine a scenario where a family is traveling in 2 or more vehicles. Given the traffic scenario in our cities, it is possible that the trailing vehicle(s) may lose sight of the one(s) in front.
We use the "Location Sharing" feature to do this (and a lot more).
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 16:10   #18
BHPian

A clear voice command telling us to take or to avoid going on the flyover!
I had a 4th gen City with built in maps on the infotainment. I think it was map my india. At a flyover, the map would momentarily switch to a picture of a flyover with the intended route shaded. It was very clear to me if I had to or had not to go on the flyover.
C'mon Google, be a bit helpful here!
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 19:50   #19
BHPian

I agree with the above mentioned points, especially poor guidance whether to take or avoid flyover.

My greedy wishlist: Travelling salesman problem solver.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trav...lesman_problem

If I need to visit 3 or more places (either inside a city or different cities), at present I have to specify the order of visiting them by adding stop A, stop B etc. I wish if I specify 3 or more places I want to visit, Google map sorts the route covering all the places by (i) least time (ii) least distance.
Arwin07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 19:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
We use the "Location Sharing" feature to do this (and a lot more).
Apologies for a noob question. But is it possible for me to set someone's live location as the 'destination'? This is actually what I was referring to as the 'convoy mode'. Because, if this is possible, one easily keep up with the lead vehicle even if it gets out of sight.
Flanker99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 06:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

This may sound completely OT, but , in my childhood I was always fascinated by Railway time tables and maps.How about Google maps showing the railway route on the map for a pair of cities , not just the train info, but the also the inter station distances etc?

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 30th December 2022 at 07:01.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 10:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
But is it possible for me to set someone's live location as the 'destination'?
You mean, set the navigation destination as a moving target such as another vehicle? I don't think that is possible; you are right.

I'm not even sure if that'd be such a useful feature either. Unlike POIs (which are manually entered into the database) this feature will need to rely on GPS equipment whose accuracy neither Google nor the user can vouch for. A few metres error in the reported position could send the following car on a completely wrong route.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 16:15   #23

One feature I hope gets added is to check the ETA by varying the start time of journey. Right now Gmaps assume that you will start the journey right away and also provides some indicative bar charts for ETA for the next few hours. But what I ( or some other people) may want to know is the ETA if journey is to be stated say tomorrow xx.xx hours so that other things can be planned in better manner.
Of course no one can't really predict a stalled vehicle but I believe ETA based on traffic pattern for last few days on the said route for given time interval can be offered.
Old 30th December 2022, 16:21   #24
BHPian

I would like to add one more feature. There are times when I just want to drive around with no particular destination in mind. I would like GMaps to add a button (like drive around) which will simply log the route taken, distance travelled, time taken etc, while showing me the route I am taking (like showing a set of red dots to show this)

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th December 2022 at 16:51. Reason: Please quote a post only when relevant
pd1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 16:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh_k View Post
One feature I hope gets added is to check the ETA by varying the start time of journey.
There is. You have three options:

Leave now
Arrive at
Depart by

You get these options on the web as well as on the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
I would like GMaps to add a button (like drive around) which will simply log the route taken, distance travelled, time taken etc, while showing me the route I am taking (like showing a set of red dots to show this)
Agree. But there's several apps that do that for you.

Eg. I use the Calimoto app to log all our bike rides. It'll even log other cool features: highest point, lowest point, highest speed, and other things not relevant when in the car such as bank angle and so on.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th December 2022 at 16:54.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 17:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I end up switching the From and To twice to refresh the data.

Is there a missing Refresh feature or am I not using it right? There is no problem if I use navigation.
You can click on Your Location (from field) and then again on Your Location, it will give you updated directions. though it involves two clicks, but that is the only way to refresh it without going into navigation mode.
BudgetFailure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 17:47   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
I would like to add one more feature. There are times when I just want to drive around with no particular destination in mind. I would like GMaps to add a button (like drive around) which will simply log the route taken, distance travelled, time taken etc, while showing me the route I am taking (like showing a set of red dots to show this)
"Google Maps Timeline" does this to a large extent, even when you are not using Google Maps Navigation. I use this Timeline all the time, and I can go back to any day in history and see my daily activities, places visited and time spent at those placee, routes taken (this includes driving routes as well as any other modes of transportation including flights), time spent in driving etc. In fact, not even driving, this even tracks my walking and distance walked, time taken etc. It is a very powerful tool and I use it all the time.

Once you do the right settings in your Google Maps, the "Timeline" is automatically logged every day for all your activities, regardless of whether you use Google Maps on not. The only condition is your location must be ON in the locations settings.

Here are more details: https://support.google.com/maps/answ...form%3DAndroid

Last edited by Dr.AD : 30th December 2022 at 17:50.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 17:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
"Google Maps Timeline"
If the timelines feature could allow you to overlap multiple days without any external tool, that would be a great functionality. At times when i want to share what all things i covered during a multi-day trip, having a quick access to overlapped maps for a range of dates would be suggestible.
Old 30th December 2022, 18:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Traffic view on multi point map view. Shows on single point, but disappears once you add the 2nd destination.

Realistic ETA. Apple Maps shows realistic ETA than Google does, including newly inaugurated Samruddhi Mahamarg. On a recent trip, I outdid Google Maps ETA by an hour on Medchal-Adilabad section.

Show My Places on directions/navigation. At least allow as a layer. What is the point in having My Places when it won't show when it matters most.
Old 30th December 2022, 18:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

Apple Maps has improved drastically, or at least in big cities. The search function and the reviews related to that destination/ business are pretty good on Google maps, and so is the last-mile connectivity. Still, otherwise, navigation on the Apple has gone far ahead.

While driving here in GTA, what lanes or exits to choose or marking of traffic lights with almost real-life views and very relevant instructions as if someone local is sitting with you and guiding you. Apple depends on Yelp for reviews, and it opens another app, whereas, on google, it's all right on the maps.

I am sure Google Maps can learn a lot from Apple Maps. Quite the opposite in a very short duration.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks