Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Must-have features in Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
There should be a better way to guide us when we need to get on to a flyover or avoid it. Currently, Google uses language such as "take the slip road" or "take a slight right", without actually telling us that there is an upcoming flyover and we need to either get on it or avoid taking it. This language is quite confusing and it would be helpful if Google can be more specific.
Somebody had Tweeted about it to Google back in 2019, Google even replied funnily and thanked for the suggestion. However it is yet to be implemented.

Name:  maps.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  117.5 KB

Translation: Such great maps, add one more small feature, let us know if we have to take the flyover or not. It's difficult to spot the half a milimeter deflection on a 5 inch screen.
-Guy taking u turn from 2 kms away

Google's response:
We thank users like you who show us the right path, the journey to be better won't stop, o co-traveller/soulmate.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:51   #47
BHPian

All I need in Google maps for long drives is a comfort mode selection option apart from shortest time and shortest route. I don't mind taking a longer route and a bit longer time if the road is comfortable to drive. And stop the automatic loading of alternate routes.
Old 3rd January 2023, 02:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

A quick reroute button to avoid a section of the current route would help immensely. I also feel the current ETAs arent as accurate as it was a few years ago
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:12   #49
BHPian

Google maps is useful in the city because it's database of locations is exhaustive.

However, I don't trust it on long drives. Being made in a developed country, their developers don't understand ground realities in developing countries.

It chooses bad roads and narrow roads or goes through crowded markets and through cities instead of bypassing them. It also thinks there are roads when there are none.

I rely on inbuilt navigation in my Octavia. I belive it's from Map my India. It has only two disadvantages. It's ETA is always wrong. And it doesn't have shops listed.
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:21   #50
Team-BHP Support

Mostly people use Google maps as a point to point solution. And for that its near perfect (with its quirks). What is seriously lacking is a planning utility built on top of maps. If Google can do that with layers of low level features (like map caching based on location to account for places having no data coverage etc), it would have a master product.

Then I would say Garmin will truly die! Today we use Google and let it decide how to take us through. We need some thing where Google lets the planner take the global decision.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
It already does today. When you start a ride you have to choose whether you are on a bike or car. Depending on whether you select bike or car the route suggested is different.
I *think* Google also can detect if a user is on a bike but selected car while navigating based on the movement patterns - that's how it actually is fairly accurate and does not solely rely on the users input.
The problem is that the default mode is "car"; and bikes use that mode to go into narrow streets and shortcuts, making it difficult for actual cars.

I seriously doubt Google can determine your mode of transport.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:00   #52
BHPian

What would really help me are the following:

1. Information on parking at the destinations I choose. For e.g., if I have to travel to a hotel in Bangalore from Hyderabad, if it can show the no.of parkings in that location and also if it's closed parking or open parking. This would help me take a decision on whether I can take a risk with choosing that hotel or not. This can also help with places to visit like for e.g. waterfalls or view points and whether they have parking or not.

2. I would also like to see additional options of what average speed will be required to reach a certain destination in X hours/mins or Y hours/mins apart from the realistic time that is possible to reach the destination.

3. Realtime GPS support with voice navigation even when I lose cellphone signal. This will help avoid downloading offline maps, every time I travel to locations with a weak or absent cellphone reception.
Old 4th January 2023, 15:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Car View Post
Even I got the option for becoming a local guide too but I also refused due to the same privacy reasons. But since you are saying that they take your feedback pretty seriously if you enroll for it, isn't it a trade-off which would be worth it since we can actually ‘correct’ the things which we always wanted to?
I don't think they take anything more, than what they normally do. All they require is that you don't take screenshots of their beta app, which anyways has some code pasted on the entire app, which can be used to trace your account.
I stopped contribution, only to reduce my general Google dependence. I also took many other steps with it, like removing google apps from phone, etc.

This Beta App is more like a feedback system for self improvement. They do it for improving Google maps service, firstly at a firmware level, and secondly, on a location data level (places wrongly marked, missing places, etc).
Old 4th January 2023, 18:24   #54
BHPian

I was searching for a post like this to comment on or whether to create a new thread, where people express their frustrations in using GMAPS.

While I have had a good experience using Google Maps over the last decade in Chennai, it has been a pain since I moved to Bangalore. Most of the roads are lane driven. If I got to take a right, I got to keep up in the right lane strictly. Otherwise, I end up stuck in traffic or driving unnecessarily for a few more kilometers. Unlike Chennai, alternate routes in Bangalore are time-consuming and not Car friendly or even bike friendly for that matter (personal opinion.)

Things have gotten much worse, I have started using Apple maps in Bangalore. One reason could be infrequent live data compared to Google. But it makes life easier. Turns are better announced. Options to choose the routes are more accessible on Apple maps. And, Apple maps doesn't re-route you, if you deviate from its proposal.

However, when in Chennai, Apple maps can't be trusted. It never recognizes my house owing to GPS location. In fact, except for the common places, I found Apple maps misguiding me often in Chennai.

Not to say, Google maps has its own advantage as well. Unlike the previous generation, we don't have to seek guidance from local auto drivers or shopkeepers without knowing the local language. You can take a detour to most cities just with the help of Google Maps (which gets more location updates than Apple Maps.) Trust me, I have stayed in places where it is very very hard to explain the route. Now, it is easy to simply share the location and drivers or friends can easily commute.
Old 4th January 2023, 18:41   #55
BHPian

1. Options to take a longer but easier/wider route.
2. More clear navigation for flyovers and side roads
3. Width/lanes of roads (maybe color coded)
4. Option to switch off vocalization of road names (definitely of not much help)
5. Maybe highlighting turns/detours based on landmarks (too much to expect but hey it's a wishlist)
6. Strangely at times maps always vocalizes to turn left while map is showing a right turn. I've noticed this bug in some ola/uber too. Not sure why such a basic thing is not yet fixed
7. Faster recalibration on narrow lanes having immediate and frequent turns

But despite all these requests, Google Maps has been a lifesaver for a directionally challenged person like me. It's a great app
Old 5th January 2023, 10:07   #56
BHPian

Noticed a feature for EV charging locations on Google Maps, It was implemented few months back. This is really a boon for EV owners to plan their Trips.

Must-have features in Google Maps-ev-charging-1.jpg

Must-have features in Google Maps-ev-charging-location.jpg

Last edited by SILVER-ARROW : 5th January 2023 at 10:15.
SILVER-ARROW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 21:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER-ARROW View Post
Noticed a feature for EV charging locations on Google Maps, It was implemented few months back. This is really a boon for EV owners to plan their Trips.
Indeed, its a great feature. There are some more features for EV car users.
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/9773205?hl=en
Old 7th January 2023, 19:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

A sarcastic tweet and a reply from Google.

Must-have features in Google Maps-4518e9f417d644acb2ae2f5ddada3aff.jpeg

Read full story here: https://www.theyouth.in/2021/09/30/m...IDrRdBKc&amp=1
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks