Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 11:49   #601
BHPian

Re: Longest Drives!

I spent 4 hours (3 hours 50 mins) slipping the clutch on first gear to cover 23 kms in Kolkata City traffic during the evening before a religious fastival.

Shouldn't it count as a longest city driving

Left foot, specialy the knee, calf muscle & toe froze at night
NaXal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 12:02   #602
BHPian

My longest drive is from Munnar, Kerala to Hyderabad, Telangana. Started from the hotel @09:00HRS, Reached Bangalore outskirts around 19:00HRS, tackling Bangalore traffic ate away a chunk of time, stopped for dinner at Bangalore outskirts @21:00HRS, then started final leg of the journey around 22:30HRS, Reached home in Hyderabad @07:00HRS. In between took a power nap around 04:00HRS in the car I do believe a planned approch to bypass bangalore traffic would have saved minimum 1-2 HRS of drive time.
Other such drive being Ooty, Tamilnadu to Hyderabad, Telangana.

Have read many threads on our forum about drives to Bhutan, Himalayas, J&K from Southern India and I do have plans to do a trip from Hyderabad to Himalayas as soon as time permits
Attached Thumbnails
Longest Drives!-munnarhyd.jpg  

Old 7th November 2020, 12:41   #603
BHPian

My longest was an unforgettable trip in December 2017 in my them 2.5 year old Octavia TSI. Around 2,500 kms six day trip with no purpose except driving through the coast of South India and returning to Chennai and in the process doing a Triangle on the map.
Day 1 was the longest, around 640 kms - Chennai to Thoothukudi- via Pondichery, Velankanni, Ramanathapuram.
Day 2, Thoothukudi to Kollam via Kanyakumari, Nagercoil, Trivandrum.
Day 3, Kollam to Kozhikode via Allepey, Kochi, Guruvayur, Malappuram,
Day 4, Kozhikode to Udupi via Mahe, Thalassery, Kannur, Bekal, Kasargod.
Day 5, Udupi to Bangalore
Day 6-Bangalore to Chennai.
Stopped by at whatever was enroute- temples, forts, old friends, restaurants. Except the first days stop at Thoothukudi and the fifth days stop at Bangalore, nothing else was planned.
The car was a beauty and gave no trouble even on few really bad stretches.
Want to do another similar triangle trip but a bigger one till Ratnagiri and return via Hyderabad and Vishakapatinam. Let’s see when that materialises.
Vin76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 10:12   #604
BHPian

My longest driving experience is while returning from kedarnath to Hyderabad in the second week October 2020. This was a total of 4140 km journey from Hyderabad to Kedarnath and back after spending just one day there in Kedarnath.
While returning I stopped at Itiya which is short of 65 km to Jhansi. I started from Itiya in the morning 5:00 AM and reached Hyderabad by 1:30 AM next day , which was a non-stop journey except for tea, break fast etc., .
I think the length of the journey is about 1140 km .
I was driving all of this journey in my own SKODA YETI ,2011 model car and this car inspires confidence.
Earlier in 2017 , I drove to Bhadarinath and back to Hyderabad , in this same car SKODA YETI . In this same year I did a journey to Nepal and back via Varanasi , in this same car.
While I was going to Kedarnath recently , the ODO of the car was 1,47,000 km. I gave for a normal check up for a long journey and the SKODA service people advised me to change brake pads ( all four) and a link rod in the front . It had cost me about 16,500=00 rupees.
That was all.
venuraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:14   #605
BHPian

My longest has been during Covid when I travelled from Bangalore to Punjab with a 1 night stop in Hyderabad and in Bhopal. Total Kms covered around 2600 Km.
8 hours from Bangalore to Hyderabad
16 hours from Hyderabad to Bhopal
19 Hours from Bhopal to Punjab.
Old 18th November 2020, 23:05   #606
BHPian

My longest drive in a day was 700 kms from Calcutta to Benaras and this in itself was a part of my longest road trip till date which was a 2914 km trip from Calcutta to Benaras - Bandhavgarh - Jabalpur - Khajuraho - Benaras - Gaya and back to Calcutta. It was spread over 8 days of December 2014 including Christmas (which we spent in Benaras) and it was the four of us in the car (me, my better half, and a couple of close friends). I was the only person among the four of us who could drive so that was a bit of a risk, but then all's well that ends well. The car in this particular case was the Tata Indica Vista D90 and I still drive the same car, which has done some 70k kms over the 7+ years it has been there with us.

Our route and itinerary was as follows:

Day 1: Calcutta to Benaras - left Cal at 4:45 am and reached Benaras at 4 pm with a 30 minute break for breakfast at Maithon and a 1 hour break for lunch at Dehri-on-Sone in between. Overall good roads till UP but then both road quality and the quality of traffic deteriorated after entering UP, with hordes of suicidal motorists coming at me full pelt from the opposite direction in the right lane. While most of these were motorbikes, one was a huge cement mixer truck! Strangely, this phenomenon was more prevalent in UP than in the other states. Reached Benaras well in time for the aarti on the ghats despite the issues with the road and traffic.

Day 2: Benaras to Bandhavgarh via Sidhi - probably the most horrendous stretch of asphalt that I have ever driven on. It was more like the surface of the moon in most places and in other places the road was getting repaired (resulting in one lane being shut down and huge jams). Despite starting at 7 am, we could reach our destination in Tala only by 6 pm, even though the distance was just about 330 kms.

Days 3: Stayed in Bandhavgarh. Discovered in the morning of Day 3 that one tyre was flat and even though I changed it, I could not have it repaired as all the repair shops were closed that day. This was not the only issue - the engine guard of my car had got bent from one of the craters on the way and there was a vibration coming into the cabin because of that. There was no other problem with the car though. We did get to see a tiger on our evening safari so it wasn't all doom and gloom.

Day 4: Left Tala for Bhedaghat via Katni. This was the slightly longer route but we were told by the resort that this was the better route. After the nightmare of Day 2, getting a good road was more important than anything else. Left at about 7 am and reached Bhedaghat at about 2 pm. Stopped to get the punctured tyre repaired and also for some food and tea on the way. For a change the road was excellent. After having a hearty lunch went boating and to the Dhuandhar falls and then rushed to the nearest Tata Motors service centre in Jabalpur at about 6 pm to get the engine guard repaired (Their number had been given by Tata Motors toll free assistance and we had spoken to the service centre and they had agreed to wait for us till 6:30 pm). A 10 minute job from start to finish, with a smile and charges waived (on the contrary we were treated to coffee while we waited) and then we were on our way. One of the best experiences I've had with a service centre anywhere.

Day 5: Left Bhedaghat for Khajuraho via Katni and Satna mainly to take advantage of the good Katni road. Roads were not great in many places after Satna but we still reached by about 2 pm. Immediately went to the temple complex. Stayed their till late evening and then went back to the hotel after dinner.

Day 6: Khajuraho to Benaras via Chitrakoot and Allahabad - Roads were pretty okay for a change although progress was very slow in the morning due to thick fog. Probably the only time that I have used fog lamps and demister for an extended period of time. Had a bird hit at 100kmph on the road from Chitrakoot to Allahabad but fortunately the windshield held. Also saw an old man coming under the wheels of a truck in the opposite lane. It was a disturbing sight but there was nothing we could do, so we went on. Finally reached Benaras in the evening. It was Christmas evening.

Day 7: Benaras-Gaya - Spent the first half in Sarnath and then started our return journey to Calcutta via Gaya just after 1 pm. The plan was to reach Gaya by 7 pm, which we did. Spent the evening walking around looking at all the Buddhist temples built by different countries

Day 8: Gaya-Calcutta - Spent the early part of the morning at the Mahabodhi temple and some of the other Buddhist temples. Started our journey back to Cal at about 12 noon and reached home just after 10 pm.

It was a great trip, albeit very hectic. The car performed superbly and was a pleasure to drive even on broken roads. The experience with Tata Motors service was the icing on the cake. Although I've gone on other road trips after this one, this remains my longest and most challenging trip (because of the road conditions and the tight scheduling) and I will always cherish this trip.
Neversaygbye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:17   #607

My longest trip has been over the last weekend. I drove from Goa to Sagar (MP) which is 1400km. It took me a good 29hrs to complete the trip (including some breaks to rest and sleep in my car). My conclusion is that the roads in MH are quite terrible whereas the roads in MP are an absolute delight to drive. Below is the road I took.

Longest Drives!-map1.jpg

The road from Nashik upto the MP checkpost is horrible. From there the roads all the way upto sagar are amazing.
anon_newbie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:02   #608
BANNED

The longest drive which I had done was on 25th May 2018 where in I drove for 911km from Vijaywada to Davengere and on the previous day 24th May had done 812 km from Bhuvneshwar to Vijaywada in my Global Ford Fiesta 2015 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Longest Drives!-4c7552bc48a64e1bb900a928242f8bb9.jpeg  

Longest Drives!-4f110835b0cc4730acf3753551b6f7b5.jpeg  

Timeline 1967 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 22:14   #609
BHPian

Our Longest single stretch drive is as follows:

1) Start Point: Almora
2) End Point: Ahmedabad
3) Distance: 1470 kms
4) Time taken: 25 hours
5) Car: Mahindra Thar 700 CRDe

Apart from this have done Ahmedabad-Gurgaon in our jolly good Thar which stands at 950 Kms/14.5 hours
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks