Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 11:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

ya,Seat belts are a must at least when you are on a highway and they save a lot of lives.
we need awareness for the usage of seat belts cos in india people fasten seat belts only when they fear the cops.
god give peace to the souls of people who died
Old 10th July 2007, 11:51   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Sad. Very sad. And worse still, seatbelts and airbags (if Honda weren't so stingy with equipment) could have possibly saved their lives.

These photographs should be sent to Honda India. Maybe it will wake them up and they can begin to offer airbags in the City.
Hmm I am not sure if airbags would have helped if seatbelts were not worn.
There are studies which indicate airbags can do more harm than good without seatbelts, thats why they are called secondary restraints systems(SRS).
The Body shell of the car is more or less intact, and it seems the occupants were not belted up which led to this.
I have seen worse accidents than this in cars like Indica at the workshop where the driver walked away because the seatbelt saved him.
Our old indica once hit a huge stone at 90+ hit the bridge guardrail and then was hit by a truck coming very fast from opposite direction. While the rear passengers were injured, the driver did not have a scratch because the seatbelt held him very tightly.
More than ABS and Airbags, I would rate the seatbelt as a much more important safety system.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:56   #33
Team-BHP Support

I guess there should be a checkpoint at the start of every highway. Like when the cops check for overspeeding or when you go from one state to the other at the naka the cops should also check for seatbelts. Even at toolbooths cops should be present for seatbelt check.

Ofcourse the driver and passengers should ideally be wearing it. In the city I make sure both front occupants are belted up and on the highway all occupants have to be belted up front and rear.
Old 10th July 2007, 12:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Ofcourse the driver and passengers should ideally be wearing it. In the city I make sure both front occupants are belted up and on the highway all occupants have to be belted up front and rear.
Ya i totally agree... every individual should take seatbelts as precaution always...

Abhi
Old 10th July 2007, 12:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Did this lorry have a puncture in the front right tyre ? it seems to be leaning over that side. Either that or the car driver could have been blinded by the headlights & did not know the true size of the vehicle & misjudged his maneuver.
I second this point. The truck seems to be tilted towards the front rhs, im guessing the rear of the car slammed the front of the truck while it tried to avoid it, that tail-spun the NHC and swung the inside head on-to the rear axle, that took the impact. Notice the bent rim of the truck. It must hav e been quit a hit - that inturn must have nudged the axle out of the drive shaft.

Its sad - RIP.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I guess there should be a checkpoint at the start of every highway. Like when the cops check for overspeeding or when you go from one state to the other at the naka the cops should also check for seatbelts. Even at toolbooths cops should be present for seatbelt check.
And you think this will work ? People of this country are very enterprising. As soon as the check post is passed, off go the belts.

UNLESS THE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT SEATBELTS ARE FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY - NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
UNLESS THE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT SEATBELTS ARE FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY - NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
And when that happens, there is no necessity for a law, leave alone a policeman to check for seat belts.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

OMG that is a horrific accident.
RIP their souls.

Yes until unless people realise that seat belts are for their own safety. No law or any amount of checking will change the situation
Old 10th July 2007, 18:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Reply from Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
These photographs should be sent to Honda India. Maybe it will wake them up and they can begin to offer airbags in the City.
Dear Sir,

This is in reference to your mail dated July 10, 2007.

We deeply regret the unfortunate happening .Our sincere prayers are with the deceased's family and friends.

We have been constantly trying to offer to our esteemed customers with products and services which are contemporary and which meet their needs and aspirations. This is an ongoing process and results in launch of new products and offerings from various companies from time to time. However, right now we dont have any plans of launching airbags and ABS in Honda city .

For any further concern/query, please feel free to contact Honda One 2 One at 1800-113-121 & 011-39898918.

We value having you as our esteemed customer and solicit your kind understanding on the subject.

Regards,

Customer Relationship Management

Last edited by msdivy : 10th July 2007 at 18:44.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:01   #40
BHPian

May the souls rest in peace. The door's sheet metal has ripped off, it looks very weak. How will the doors hold up incase of a side impact? I think the idea of enforcing strong guard rails on the side of trucks is a really good idea, specially around their fuel tanks.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
But Mugen how come the car went and hit the rear axle of such a big truck... I am not able to imagine how it happened...

Abhi
The truck was not parallel to the road, it was at a certain angle and the car hit its belly (i.e the 2nd axle). That kind of indicates that the truck was on the wrong side and was trying to move over to the left. But then there seems to be no visible tyre marks, guess the driver didn't even have time for the brakes. Seems one of those moments when you just see a truck emerging from the bushes coming the opposite way on your side. (But then the road is straight to miss such a thing)
Old 10th July 2007, 19:50   #42
BHPian

I cant understand why people ignore seatbelts ? anyways May they rest in peace.
one word of caution drive safe and KEEP safe distance from the vehicle before you to avoid such type of accidents
Old 10th July 2007, 20:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

bad accident. i didnt think honda cars were of such bad quality that they cant have proper crumple zones and all that. can anyone comment on the crumple zones and whether they did their job in this case?
Old 10th July 2007, 21:20   #44
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Let's try and analyze the accident, but I dont think anyone can apportion the blame on the Truck Driver or the Honda City Driver.
In all probability the Honda City was overtaking some vehicle at high speed, and swerved to the left to avoid hitting the oncoming truck. The truck has also apparently made an attempt to swerve to its left. The Honda City hit the truck on its right side and at the same time, probably got hit on its left side by the overtaken vehicle; see the long scratch on its left side and the dent on the rear left door. After the impact, the Honda City probably spun around 360 degrees and ended up as shown (assuming that is where it really ended up and not just placed there).

Note that the accident happened at some distance behind where the truck has finally stopped, as shown in the first picture. See the markings on the road behind the truck. That seems to indicate that the truck was not on the wrong side, at least not fully so, at the time of the collision. Being fully loaded, the truck must have kept close to the centre line.

In my book it is the fault of the Honda City driver, who was undoubtedly overspeeding and in all probability fatally misjudged the attempted overtake.

Last edited by rks : 10th July 2007 at 21:28.
Old 10th July 2007, 21:51   #45
BANNED

One thing we all are missing is the legal requirement on heavy goods vehicles to have a bar on the side to avoid vehicles from sliding underneath.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks