Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 02:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
From the first part of your reply the impact speed had to be very high. In the second part quoted above, you assert that the impact was direcly on to the axle of the lorry. But where is the damage to the lorry to justify such a high-speed impact? If the wheel rim took a major hit, surely the tyre would burst. In fact the tyre has not even dislodged from the rim. And even the wooden side-doors of the lorry's cargo bay are intact. The roof of the Honda City has not buckled, as it should have if the car had gone under the lorry and directly impacted the axle. I think the axle failed due to the impact, but the primary collisoin was probably to the front right side of the lorry, maybe near the right headlamp and wheel areas. I believe that the collision to the rear right side of the lorry in the wheel area was secondary.

The bent rim on the front rear axle substantiates that the major hit was taken by that particular wheel only. Now if the truck was at an angle (as in when viewed from the car moving left to right at say a 30 degree angle) it is possible for the car to hit that wheel alone and nothing else (see the fuel tank too is not touched by the car). After hitting the 1st rear axle (by which I mean the tyre) the car's rear end would swivel (left) fulcrumming on the front right (yeah it never went under the lorry). You can view a lot of car-to-car crash tests (offset) on you-tube to know what I am trying to say.

Now if the Impact was near the front headlight of the lorry, there was no way the car(s) front portion would have a secondary impact (as the tail would anyway swing out to the left after the first impact) with the 1st rear axle. There are 2 possibilities, the left -b-pillar hit the axle. Now if that be the case the impact would be perpendicular to the nody of the truck and the axle would not move back. So this possibility ruled out. The second possibility is the rear of the car ploughs backwards to the axle, that too hasn't happened as the rear of the car is intact. Moreover the first impact would deflect the car away from the lorry rather than pull it back in.

So the only likely way seemingly is to directly hit that wheel. But then these are guesses, in the real random world who knows what really happened.

Practice frontal offset between two model cars you will know what I am trying to say (but then that too is no way near to reality as model cars dont deform)
Old 25th October 2007, 16:20   #62
BHPian

Banaglore Traffic Police on Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I have seen people wearing helmets like a cap without fastening the strap. God help the idiots. These people are also inducing other less smart people to follow their lead.
Who other than the bangalore traffic police can be the most appropriate example of this? Cops riding on bikes, with straps flying on both sides of their cheeks
Old 27th October 2007, 15:01   #63
BHPian

Was the truck already broken down & maybe the city did not expect it in the middle of the road while overtaking a vehicle & hit it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks