Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 17:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore cabs, yet another one

Was going towards Forum from Raheja side with my wifee, stopped at the signal and after sometime i heard a small impact sound and hands banging on my car. A city taxi was trying to squeeze in, behind my car on left side and my car rolled a lil (my fault i guess, am not sure though) and went and touched the taxi. The bloody cab was at 60 degree angle with my car!!! I checked through my ORVM and this car had some 5 people inside it, all local AH of first kinds. I think this car services for one of the local software company and driver junta/gunda were on their way to lunch or something.

I moved fwd a lil to remove my cars *** from his face and suddenly one guy (the driver apparently) comes and tries opening my wifes door, i had locked from inside so i downed my window and asked him to come to my side, he came and told me to pull the car to the side and all.

He wouldnt let me move, another guy had meanwhile taken the wheels of the taxi, so i asked the first guy to climb behind in my car. Thank my stars i decided it would be better to move the drama away from the crowded junction, away from other citi taxi guys as well as cops and signals changed also then and went and parked inside forum. The taxi following me inside.

Then the fun starts, buggers shows me the damage starts threatening me, good thing was there was no dent (indica is strong) and some paint from my car was left on his front door (bad maruti). The gang started demanding 500 rs from me, i said go take a hike and told them max i will give is 100 rs. I dint like the whole vibe, so asked wife to carry on with her chore inside forum.

Now they wanted to goto cops, so i said if they want they can get the cops to place where i am now, and said they can have my business card if required. Seeing that am not budging some more threatening "you dont know, we are from this locality and we know how to deal with you" and all, one guy makes a call and asks someone to come to forum and all.

I calmly took my phone and called up for some help, got the relevant numbers and told them not to worry cops can come here if required, its just matter of me making a call. They were not budging and went on with threats and more calls, so one of them says we dont want money and we just want you to come to prerana motors and pay for whatever they charge, coz the owner will blame us if we leave with 100 rs.

I somehow didnt think it was a wise idea to move out from forum, so i said take 100 or do whatever, ill be here and told them am going to call cops from my side.

Then they said with 200 they can settle. This was now under control and i didnt want this to go any further and decided to pay up, he wanted my business card, i told him money is enough and no business card.

Again thank my luck they fell for it and took the money and left, and i took the number down just in case.

This is an experience i wouldnt recommend to anyone lol.

Got some paint off snowhite rear bumper a 6*1 inch patch which brush touch up can fix for now (nothing else dented or came off, maruti is also strong enough for indica ), 200 Rs for settling and one hell of a bad taste towards the cabbies.

Only thought is, should i just use my influence and screw the happiness of 7339 owner.
Old 10th July 2007, 17:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

I feel you handled the situation well Jaggu. It no use getting aggressive with these idiots. Not worth the time. And a scratch on the car hurts.
Old 10th July 2007, 17:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

LOL nice one Jaggu. Good that you stuck to your guns and never let the clowns have it their way. Hats off.

Jaggu dont let them go scott-free take their trip .
Old 10th July 2007, 17:56   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Jaggu, good that you dealt with them sternly and that it didn't turn out to be ugly.

Well I had quite an experience yesterday. Was going to Sag to drop off the car. At the temple near RT.Nagar bus depot there was a traffic jam. I had to take a right turn. Took the turn and halfway through turn the vehicles in front of me stopped. This cab guy who was in the opposite lane was in some deep thoughts and the entire traffic in the opposite lane had come to a halt to allow the jam on the left side to clear up. He looked completely lost. And soon I hear a thud into my car. He was like waiting quietly a few seconds back, don't know what made him move in the first place. Specially when he had no place to go.

Got down, pulled the guy out of the car. And asked him what he was he upto. He looked miserable as if he had gotten a beating from his wife or something. Went and had a look at my car's right rear. No damage. Not even paint scratched off. I gave him a word of caution and took off from there. I guess I can say I was only lucky. Last thing I wanted early in the morning is a fight with a cab wallah.

Oh btw our sad mob mentality tried to pounce on the issue and make the best use of it. But before I got down I rolled all the windows up and locked all the doors. As expected a few of them tried gaining entry to the items in the car either by opening the door or thru the windows in the meanwhile.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th July 2007 at 17:58.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:45   #5
BHPian

I fully empathize with the situation Jaggu found himself in.

Not wanting to sound judgmental, experience has taught me that cab and auto drivers are most often complete rogues with zero road etiquette and a nasty belligerence when things go wrong. Especially if the other party has erred innocently.

Sometimes I think it's their work that makes them that way and there are sometimes I'm convinced they are the way they are, well, because they are!

An auto guy once rammed his rick into my month old Swift from the right. His auto was at a 45 degree angle to my car, and I was aligned along with the road divider. And he claimed I drove into him. He went to the cop at the junction and complained that I was at fault. By the time I could reach the cop, I was already in the bad books. But it took some fluent Kannada spoken in a respectable accent from my Mom that made that cop flinch. Nasty stuff!
Old 10th July 2007, 18:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Only thought is, should i just use my influence and screw the happiness of 7339 owner.
I don't think you need to go to that extent for this case. Keep that heavy duty influence for next time and hope it never comes.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I don't think you need to go to that extent for this case. Keep that heavy duty influence for next time and hope it never comes.
yes to the ol wise man, i guess no point in dragging it further. i was venting my
Old 10th July 2007, 19:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Smartly handled, Jaggu.

Any idea which company the cab belonged to? Any stickers on its front/rear screens?

Making a complaint through the company the cab services would also be effective.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh Cabbies. Always trying to make that extra buck from the other guy.I think you should have stick to hundred rupees, when there was no damage done. except for the paint from your car going onto his car. well he should be lucky to get some extra paint.
Anyway good to hear that everything went well.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

You did right thing Jaggu, These guys are just waste idiots don't have any commonsense at all, They all behind money thats all. Their owners back up them well as well. Compared to 2002 whern software boom started after Y2K slowdown now a days cabbies have learnt some lesson for some extent but still long way to go.

I feel governement should bring rule like cabbie driver should be at least graduate to get license to drive the car. In that way they will be decent.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Rightly said Ravi education is a big issue, but i thought there was some control on basic education for getting commercial license??

I dont know how to converse in kannada, though i can follow and thats a pain while dealing with these morons. Hindi came in handy but had hard time controlling coz only abuses were coming in my mouth.

At the end of the day uttering high end designations which they also couldnt understand also helped lol

The actual driver was a dumb character, and it was the other thugs who were flaring up the scene.

I think the good karma of forgiving all the nudges, i get from other fellow road users while stuck in traffic, saved me.

Just imagine if things were different, things could have gone bad, also what about women drivers. These thugs can scare the **** out of anyone, trust me even in such a controlled environment like i faced (inside forum mall, same floor as the main security office) they tried real hard to intimidate and harass.

As an online community can we do something about this in our cities? Good thought for all the forum members.
Old 10th July 2007, 19:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its a crazy thing to have to deal with these morons. Far from common-sense, they don't seem to have any sense.

Jaggu.. hats off to you! I would picture myself getting all worked up & probably getting into a schuffle with these guys. They get on my nerves!! For one,these cabbies decide to speak in Kannada only, and though I can speak the language to an extent,when you need the abuses/stern remarks, hindi/english comes in handy. And its at that point that the cabbies forget all their Hindi/English !!

Like you said, it would really help to bring about some education amongst these cabbies. Doubt if the clause of having 'graduates-only' as cabbies would work,since there are other jobs more worthy than being a driver { atleast thats what theey feel }
Old 10th July 2007, 20:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

damn guys. i wish we were all there in the scene there with you. this is one reason i dont let my wifey drive. enough is enough.
Old 10th July 2007, 20:32   #14
BHPian

One thing I simply fail to understand is why all these incidents keep on happening in Bangalore alone! Maybe it is because of the rate at which this city is growing? There are nearly 1000 new vehicles added to bangalore roads every day. The roads are already cutting into boundary walls of residential/commercial property. The working hours of IT folks (and other dependent business) are stretching more and more to meet global time zones.

All these things are facilitating such incidents and I keep hearing more and more about them. Incidents on Outer ring road, airport road etc etc.. Earlier such things used to happen only during late night hours, but now everythign is happening during broad day light.

And to top it all up, "Bangalore police!" What is the police doing, ya right Police.. Why should they fall short of minting money and make merry in this IT Boom! They are happily sitting/hiding at one corner of the road waiting for some poor fellow to walk into their trap.. sometimes I really feel like kicking some serious a$$ out of these guys..

Some how I feel that people who can really make a difference are people like us.. the comman man.. but most of the time we end up cribbing .. and nothing more
Old 10th July 2007, 20:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

I like the way you handled the whole thing. A street brawl would never have been advisable as lot of interesting characters start popping out of nowhere. Trust me, I have been involved in one at the checkpost junction. Somehow wriggled out of it after 10 of my friends came to the spot.

Keep your influence handy, use it only as a Brahmastra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks