Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 11:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso catches fire; woman in labour & husband succumb to injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
S-Presso has fixed head rests and moreover that trick is something that very few, especially enthusiasts would be aware of.
This is something what every car user should know. In this particular case we don’t know exactly what happened. Fire is something that is one of the quickest things to spread and even the brightest minds can panic in such a situation especially when you are in a constricted place and your spouse is heavily pregnant. The smoke is also a killer considering that the area is enclosed.
The burn pain is so excruciating that within minutes a person is charred to death. God bless the departed souls. A very sad incident indeed.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 12:11   #47
BHPian

Very sad news.
Why Can't Government should review the safety norms and order to the car makers should provide safety tools like

1. Glass breaker cum seat belt cutter.

to the customer as a mandatory.

Already car makers provide the
  • Spare tyres
  • First aid kit
  • Triangle reflector
  • Car Jack tool

Last edited by JacksonStorm : 5th February 2023 at 12:20.
JacksonStorm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 12:34   #48
BHPian

Tragic. Hope the family pulls through.

I had recently see a car burn in flames in couple of minutes on NH8. Thankfully the passengers survived.

Hope someday authorities incorporate precautionary measures such as fire extinguisher and glass breaker as part of mandated car accessories.

It's a given that any one driving cars should invest in these and also inspect/replace them as part of annual service. It's too little a cost.
Old 5th February 2023, 12:55   #49
BHPian

One way to evacuate a car under fire provided it is a hatchback and and doesn't have CNG cylinder in the boot would be to open the boot since the latch is fully mechanical uses a metal lever, steel cable all the way to the back so no chances of anything melting, this trick would be especially useful in non engine related fires.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 13:03   #50
BANNED

Very sad indeed. While the probability is low, but shoddy work while installing aftermarket accessories could be a reason if it had some.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer diesel cars. Being an oil doesn't readily catch fire as petrol, which is spirit. But it has the runaway risk.

Personal Tip:
In case of emergency, you can use the key to break window glass. Hold it between your middle and ring finger with the soft plastic side against the center of the palm and punch the window. Being a tempered (but not laminated) glass, it'll shatter immediately without leaving any prominent sharp pieces.

But trying to quickly and safely get a 9-month pregnant lady out of a window is another challenge.

There's no point trying to break the front windshield. It's laminated and won't shatter.

-----
Think of the soldiers who routinely perform various drills to maintain battle readiness. A common citizen doesn't prepare for these tense moments. Therefore, we neither have the luxury of a calm mind to evaluate our options nor the muscle memory to make a swift robotic exit.

Off Topic:

I remember the time when I somersaulted off the Activa on a pitch-dark night and ended up in the middle lane of the highway. My riding jersey has only one arm in white. While still sitting in the middle of the highway, my first reaction was to wave that arm to the oncoming trucks and they switched lanes to avoid running into me and the scooter. It was almost like an algorithm running in my mind and I was a robot executing its orders. Once the traffic was clear, I moved the scooter to the left lane and dragged it home.

To this day, I wonder how I managed to perform these actions in autopilot mode. I would like to install such algos in other people's minds but I can't. Because I can't explain how i did it myself.

I'm right now working on starting up an NGO for Raod Safety Education and meditation is a key topic I have consciously decided to include in my lectures at length. Perhaps, it'll keep us from entering a state of shock in such situations.
MaheshY1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 13:05   #51
BHPian

Rip the poor souls. But in this case and many like this, the reason mishaps appear to be bad workmanship by accesories installer due to inexperience and lack of proper knowledge. I have seen so many new car buyers skipping the company accessories and opting to install them from outside as they are cheap. These accesories are not designed to proper code and often overlook safety measures like fuses and relays. Live unfused wires running straight from battery terminals is invitation for disaster in my opinion. Car manufacturers especially Maruti needs to grow up and stop offering bare bone cars devoid of car stereo and parking camera/sensor among other things as those are prime catagory to be installed outside.
Atul Kolekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 13:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
This is one of the reasons why I prefer diesel cars. Being an oil doesn't readily catch fire as petrol, which is spirit. But it has the runaway risk.
This concept is not fully correct.

Petrol is flammable, while diesel is combustible. Similar to petrol, it is the vapour that ends up catching fire rather than the liquid itself.
Diesel tends to burn slower than petrol, so it doesn’t exactly explode, but is much more difficult to put out. Just like petrol, improper use and improper storage can make this fire hard to contain.

Let’s look at some Chemistry.
Flash point of a liquid is the lowest temperature at which the liquid gives out sufficient vapour for it to burn in air, when a source of ignition is introduced. And the fire point is the lowest temperature at which the vapours keep burning after the ignition source is removed. It is higher than the flash point, because at the flash point vapour may not be produced fast enough to sustain combustion.

The flash point of diesel is anywhere between 52 and 96 °C., depending on the grade. Unlike diesel, petrol has a very low flash point of -35 to -45° C., which is negative. That is why under almost all conditions there is always an explosive atmosphere directly above petrol. So if you throw a lighted matchstick in a volume of diesel under normal temperature, it will not ignite, but in case of petrol, the vapour will immediately ignite.

In any case both are hydrocarbon fuels and dangerous when carried separately in any vehicle. The idle place is the fuel tank itself.

For more than 20 years I have been carrying these dangerous liquids in Oil and Chemical tanker ships trading worldwide. To prevent any fire etc., we have to introduce inert gas inside our cargo tanks for safety reasons, as inert gas does not support fire, while normal air containing oxygen supports fire.

There are many more technical aspects, but out of the scope of discussion here.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 5th February 2023 at 14:06.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 14:00   #53
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
True. I remember our Punto had this mechanism. Any door can be opened from inside anytime irrespective of central locking status by just pulling the lever. (At the rear this gets overridden by the child locking system) Even the hatch had a mechanism to unlock it from within the car, just in case the doors are deformed and jammed in an accident. One among the many brilliant things I miss about that car.
Yes even the Altroz has the same type of Mechanism
NB_4763 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 14:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

How to use a seat belt cutter and glass breaker.

There are many available on Amazon. You can select what you like.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 20:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Do not store hand sanitisers in the car (inconvenient as it may be) and no perfumes (it used to be a fad in KL to have a liquid perfume dispenser stuck on the dashboard)

I have been suspicious of power door locks especially the European ones where the lock is out of sight. Fervently hope that the failsafe works and unlocks during emergency

That said, I would like to know what is the best place to keep a glass hammer in the car. Initially I had it in the glovebox, then passenger door pad (rattled like hell) then I tucked it under the floor mats for easy access from the driver's seat while belted (God forbid, jammed) but I cannot think of one easily accessible safe location for the hammer

The volvo buses and the new trains have a smart hammer holder right next to the window
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Terrible thing to happen to anyone. The screams in the videos are unbearable to hear.

One idea to break glass is to keep a steering lock in the car at the passenger side. These things are heavy and not only they are a theft deterrant they can double up as tool to break glass.Maruti S-Presso catches fire; woman in labour & husband succumb to injuries-screenshot_20230205_210522_amazon.jpg
(Image sourced from Amazon)
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
That said, I would like to know what is the best place to keep a glass hammer in the car.
One of the best places is to permanently fix the hammer on the centre pillar on the left or right or both sides, away from the front seat belt fixture. This is subject to confirmation from your ASC to confirm that it will not hamper the deployment of side airbags and that no wires are going from behind. All cars are different.
On the other hand you will have to buy the hammer with a stand so that the stand can be fixed permanently on the pillar with the help of two or more screws.
See photos below for better understanding.

Maruti S-Presso catches fire; woman in labour & husband succumb to injuries-a94b65411f6a49e88cd4da86ec46a344.jpeg

Maruti S-Presso catches fire; woman in labour & husband succumb to injuries-6abfe176ac294de3bc672daeac1bc1d9.jpeg

Advantage of above arrangement is that in case of an emergency the hammer becomes easily accessible to the driver/passenger and you don’t have to search for it. In addition the hammer will also be easily accessible to the rear passengers in case the front passenger becomes incapacitated.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 5th February 2023 at 21:23.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
That said, I would like to know what is the best place to keep a glass hammer in the car.
I have the centre punch model (see video in previous post where a lady explains how to use this one) in both my cars. In the GT TSI I have it tied to the bottom (270° position) of the steering wheel. In the Endeavour I have tied it to the lower end of the handle on the A pillar on driver's side.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:46   #59
BHPian

One the most tragic accidents. While those 2 are dead, I can't even imagine the plight and mental agony of those survivors who were unfortunate to look at their loved ones helpless.

On the other hand, the accessories shop owner should be arrested and punished and the shop should be sealed permanently for such a shoddy, irresponsible, and unprofessional work.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 22:16   #60
BHPian

I'm freaked out right now... I have child lock on both of my rear door as a safety precaution as my kid always travel on Child Seat or mother lap in case if she is feeding.

And these child lock can only be opened from outside. In these kind of accident how will the rear passanger get out if child lock is engaged.

Should I remove the child lock or during emergency the car is smart enough to disengage child lock itself and let the rear passenger open the door from inside.

I drive 2019 i20.
FalconRed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed