Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 11:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
hee hee nice one NC . I had a similar incident once ,barely touched the car in front of mine , the guy comes and asks "chalana nahi aata kya ?"
I reply " nahi boss seekh raha hoon , sorry " He stares , wondering what to say next ,then out of words quietly moves back to his car and drove away ..heh heh
That was really amusing, Samarth !! This was in Bangalore?

Between, hows the car now?
Old 12th July 2007, 11:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
That was really amusing, Samarth !! This was in Bangalore?

Between, hows the car now?
No bro , this was back in dehradoon
The car is doing good now (touchwood) ,the total estimate came to approx 13k , i had to pay 2700 from my pocket so it wasnt bad ,though am not too sure what it will do to my premium as my insurence expires this 27th
Old 12th July 2007, 11:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice narration NC ,brings a smile to my face since i have been through a similar experience in cbd.I was riding pillon on my friend's Karizma and there was a zen in front of us. we saw a extremely pretty "item" walking on the footpath.Both mine and my friend's head almost turned 180 degrees to the left as we went past her. The next thing we knew was that the zen had braked on approching the speed breaker and we crashed exactly in the middle of the rear bumper of the zen, the bike did a stoppie even without applying slightest brakes and i almost fell on the top of the zen. The bumper of the zen was a pretty bad sight. The guy gets down , looks at the bumper , looks at us ( inspite of the bike suffering good amont of damage both me and my friend could not stop giggling ) that guy does not say a word; sits in his car and drives off.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 12th July 2007 at 12:01.
Old 12th July 2007, 14:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Good that it got sorted out and you controlled the situation.

Few years back on my way home from work (after my night shift) i was stuck in traffic near the Siemens junction on Hosur Road (near big bazaar) in Blore.

The bloke in fornt of me had his foot off the brakes and his car rolled down and lightly bumped mine. That poor soul must have had a bad morning and spilled all his rage on me.

He got off the car and accused me of bumping into his car. There was no damage, not even a scratch. I had engaged the parking brake. Lowered the window and explained that my engine was off and the e-brake was engaged. He still didnt stop at that and hurled abuses at me. I wasnt in the mood for a scrap as i desperately wanted to get some sleep.

Politely told him to own his mistake and drive carefully. Abuses still showered. Now the lights changed and i asked him to carry on. No use arguing over a trivial matter. Finally he drove off while i overtook him and kept him at my tail at snail's pace in traffic causing him a lot more rage and irritation. He must have been really late for work and took a turn towards Koramangala complex.

I was so angry for taking all this nonsense for no fault of mine but i let it go.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

he he!!! great story man!!! The ending reminds me of the cadburys bytes ad!! the "i learnt two things today!!" one.!
Old 12th July 2007, 16:41   #36
BHPian

Hey, Nice Narration NC, hats off for keeping cool.. wish I need to learn from you.. but sometimes these Cabs and now-a-days some big guys on the Scorpio's especially (sorry guys, no offence meant to any of them who own a scorpio though.. but this has been my daily experience) dashing off most of the vehicles on the road irritate me so much ... we'll but still, I would go with NC, after all it's gone with the wind.. in few mins/secs.. and thus Hat's off for keeping cool .. and for me lessons to be learnt..
Old 12th July 2007, 16:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

As NC rightly said, owning up one's mistake defuses the situation quickly.

I was once driving in Pune with my family on the right side of a two-lane road. There was a family on a bike that was slightly ahead of me on the left lane. There was another car in front of us. At one point half the width of both the lanes were blocked by Army using some green colored temporary barricade. I did not see this because of the car ahead of me and noticed it at the last minute and did not have the time to slow down. So I swerved to the left and then again to the right. This scared the family on the bike and I could see that person riding the bike was really angry. I slowed down, rolled down the windows and when he caught up with me, said I was sorry and it all happened since I had not seen the barricade in time. His anger just melted away and he started smiling.

I think most of the time people do not accept their mistakes which leads to a fight.
Old 12th July 2007, 19:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
and i had thought that was the most natural thing anybody would do, but no! after a few incidents on the road, minor they may be, i learnt that what is supposed to be the de-facto thing to do is so rare that it is actually touted as a virtue.

credits to NC for being sensible. i'm disappointed that not everyone is. the roads have become one big playground for idiotic aggressors, sadly.
Old 12th July 2007, 21:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

I think most of the time people do not accept their mistakes which leads to a fight.

Right said! If a person can accept his mistake, both parties can reach a consensus and walk away in a better mood. Then there'd be no road rage or abuses/scuffles.
Old 12th July 2007, 21:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

People generally have big egos and assume that the way they drive is the best way - so there is no room for them to make a mistake. These people invariably go on the offensive and try to become aggressive to cover up their mistake. With the kind of road rage incidents that have happened in and around Pune and other parts of India, it is better to leave alone the creeps who do not have any respect for others and least of all any kind of traffic sense. I have learned to accept these things as part of life - keeps the blood pressure down.
Old 13th July 2007, 10:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

About a 2 years back, I was driving in my Safari to Delhi from Gurgaon on the MG Road. Just after the Haryana border there is a signal for Arjangarh AirForce Station and people seldom stop since the signal is basically to allow the vehicles etc. from one side of the AF station to the other side of it.

On this fateful day a brand new Honda City chauffer driven stopped at the signal. As usual I kept on driving and noticed this stationer car quite late. Jamming the brakes and swerving it to left was of no avail as I butted the RHS of Honda with a big thud. The owner came out fuming and I too got down. When the damage was surveyed he had a look of horror on his face. Sfari suffered a broken LHS Indicator glass and damage to its fender. Honda's LHS completely crumpled with the rear LHS door popped open and deformed.

After the initial shower of choicest adjectives targeted at me subsided, I said I'm sorry and that I didn't realise it was a red light. I said Ishall make good the damage and offered him a choice of either getting it to my mechanic or whatever. He opted to get it repaired on his own and did not agree to take an insurance claim.

I told him I was not carrying enough money to settle it then and there and gave my number & address and asked him to send the estimate by courier. I don't know why he believed me and sent the estimate, that was for 10K and I settled in cash. Now that guy is a very good friend of mine after that incident and says that if the settlement is not done then & there, people seldom agree to pay later. He was surprised at my gesture.

Most of the times agreeing to the fault helps a lot to diffuse the situation.
Old 13th July 2007, 11:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice experience NC & serves you right for letching at the girl

A few years back while I still had my Santro, I was once driving off a green light & suddenly an over enthusiastic uncleji rammed into my rear bumper for some reason. I got pretty pissed and stopped my car & his a bit further so as to not block the traffic & got down to give the uncle a piece of my mind.

But as I got down so did the uncle & his very, very cute daughter seeing who my anger subsided quite a bit & on top of that the uncle apologised immediately so I could only blurt out "Uncle, please drive carefully, these kind of things just cause unnecesssary damage". So yeah, girls can be damaging to your car & anger at the same time!!
Old 20th July 2011, 21:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small peck that almost lead to Road rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Lesson Learnt - Always be calm and smiling in ugly situations. Own up if you are at fault with a smiling face and the situation defuses itself pretty fast.
Another incident today evening where I owned up to my wrong move.

I was going towards Oshiwara and was near Bangur Nagar signal with the new Accord in front of me. Both of us in the middle lane, as we approach the signal the Accord suddenly turns right and stops for a right turn. I swerve left to avoid banging into him (no I wasn't tailgating him) and just manage to make it.

Just a little ahead a biker overtakes me from the left and gives me a dirty long stare, I slow him and pull down my window. He explains that he could have skidded off because there was water in his way when he took evasive action to avoid me. I apologised to him and explained the reason why I had to swerve. He smiled and said take care and moved on.

I smiled too and drove on.

Most Viewed