Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 18:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Need advice on a small accident which left a mild bruise on the other car

I don't think you need to explain/entertain the other party soo much. Both were at fault. Out of concern you offered to pay too.

If it were me, i would just send him a message stating: Both are at fault, but you left your lane and are at more of a fault. So i am giving you 2 options:
1: I'm willing to pay(or partial pay if it were me personally, because not completely my fault and dad is involved so being kind) ONLY AT FNG. take that amount and get the job done wherever you want.
2: take my insurance details and feel free to claim whatever from them.
If above options are not good enough for you, good luck proving your case (assuming he has no chat records or details and it's a very small dent) wherever you want.

Police have much more to do than chase people for such small dents.
Kindness beyond a certain level becomes toxic for us too. I've learnt it the hard way recently
PrasadS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 20:08   #17
BHPian

His repeated threats of going to the PS will only give him headaches. No Police is going to pursue that case, no one. They may take a complaint but nothing beyond that. They will try to call your father, if you do not respond, they will not follow up. Your father just committed that he will pay the money, that is the reason this guy is hell bent on taking the full money. You can ask him to claim insurance but he can always come back and say, that will reduce the resale value as there will be a check on claims. Follow your gut and move ahead. You can tell him that you will get the work done but not fully and only partially. If he doesn't budge and you think your dad was not at fault, ignore him and block his no. I hope he is not in possession of your other details (employment, address etc.). Because if he has more details, it will become a sticky situation. He may repeatedly want to meet/come to your work/residence.
Raghu M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 10:09   #18
BHPian

I am not taking sides / giving opinion but this can be done around 3 to 3.5K (or max 4K) outside garage. At least I know a reliable place where this can be done to the perfection. In case if he is willing to take this route where the cost can be split up 50:50.
hardilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 11:03   #19
BHPian

That is a trivial dent for a 5 year old car. In Bombay, people don't even care, just apologize and move on for these sort of scenarios. Something exactly like this happened with me at Kurla junction last week. I brushed across a Swift near his right rear wheel, in a situation exactly similar like this. I apologized and the Swift guy just said, "acche se dekh k chalaiye" (watch carefully while driving) and moved on.

In this situation if the Creta guy is trying to extort then ask him to file an FIR and claim for 3rd party insurance from your insurance. In case you feel, he is a genuine guy with a genuine request but Hyundai SA is trying to extort smelling an opportunity, then accompany him to Hyundai SA and try to reason out.
subhro1988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 11:35   #20
BHPian

I suggest that you refuse to pay him anything. Tell him sternly but not rudely, that you are fed up of him and are not going to pay anything now. Keep reminding him that you would have paid Rs 2000 if he had accepted it, but because of his blackmailing and intimidating your father, you are not paying even that amount. This idea should be etched in his mind that you were paying 2K but have gone back from that offer.

Let him evaluate all the options on his own. He will soon realize that he has no realistic way of getting any money from you through legal means.

Then, he will come back to you and ask for Rs 5-10K. Tell him sternly but not rudely, again, that you would have paid 2K, but because of his blackmailing and gunda attitude, you are not paying anything now.

Gradually, he will come down to begging you for 2K. Now you can decide if you want to pay him 2K or not.
nicodash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:03   #21
BHPian

A full repaint of the door at the ASC would cost a maximum of 7-8k per door. I can't understand how he arrived at the sum of 15k.

As a gentleman courtesy the maximum you should do is to get it repaired at a FNG; which should not cost more that 3-4k.

Or

Pay up the deductible and NCB if he is claiming his insurance. (No FIR or GD entry is required, the showroom guys will write the vehicle was scratched against a wall)

Since he has threatened you pay up within a day, just ask him to file a hit and run case and let your third party insurance take care of it.
If he has the time and effort for it, let him enjoy running around for such a small dent.
raj4466 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Had a very similar accident with our car last month when a white Honda Amaze tried to come into our lane while going around a round about. The result was some of his white paint rubbed on our fender and a slight dent. I signaled him to stop but he was in no mood to accept his fault, I let him go as there was no point arguing with a driver who was rushing to drop his boss to the office. See in this case he was at fault since had he kept straight and not turned to right he would have never brushed into my car (also I saw him coming too close and honked continuously to warn him yet he took the turn). So from my experience while taking turn it's the responsibility of the driver in front to have a peak in his outside mirror to check for any car behind him.

So my advice would be just show that smart guy this thread and ask him to claim his own insurance and get done with it. Since your father has given his mobile number at best you can offer is to pay the difference and nothing more. If he still says that he will complain then ask him to do so, he will have a hard time proving your fault and also he took so long to file the complaint. As for his reason of the car belonging to his wife and he wanting to sell it, brother it's just boat loads of crap .

Last edited by AROO7 : 1st March 2023 at 12:17.
AROO7 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I can't say for sure, who is in the wrong here. However, I had a much worse accident with my Sonet a few months back, and the front left panel (ahead of tyres) was scratched. Went with Go mechanic, and they made it look as good as new. Costed me 2500. 15000 is just plain bullshit.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:34   #24
BHPian

I fail to understand why your father needs to pay here. This is just an accident, and if blame has to be laid, the scale tips slightly towards the Creta driver.

He should just claim his insurance if he wants to repaint. I suspect that he wants to cover the expenses for fixing the other panel with a deep scratch at your expense.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2023 at 17:33. Reason: typo
da3mn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

This place is close to my house and I pass through it once a week at least and know how the traffic is there during peak time.

1- From what I understood, the Creta driver cut your dad off since he didn't have the patience to wait.
2- Your dad admitted to fault when he is actually not at fault. I don't blame him, my dad is of the same kind and to escape a scene on the road, he will admit it is his fault. Being in his mid 70's and the way the world is now, again I don't blame him.
3- The Creta driver is just extorting you. He may not even use that money on the damage which from the image is nothing and normal on roads in Bangalore.
4- Like many said-get a dashcam installed. Most people will stop screwing around when they see one in the car.
5- For the resolution, there are many posts above that advise the best option. Be assertive in cases like this. People like us are the losers if not.

Last edited by tharian : 1st March 2023 at 13:49.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:57   #26
BHPian

1) Wipe with drenched diesel cloth. No marks would be visible.
2) Give your insurance details and let him "try" claiming third party. I doubt it would work for such a small unit.
3) Let him go ahead with the FIR. Your father is experienced enough not to break the law. I believe he was in the right lane while the Creta was in a compromised position. The cops will understand this and favour you. More days pass, he won't be able to do anything.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2023 at 17:34. Reason: typos
suryaj1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:13   #27

I suggest you call up you your insurance company to provide complete background of the mishap and seek steps to get the third-party damage fixed. They are the best advisors in such cases. Secondly, call up the Creta owner and let them know that you will not pay a penny out of your pocket and your insurance company will deal with him. In case he is impatient, ask him to file an FIR with the Police and let the law take its course. End of the day, there is no documentary evidence with him to prove that your Dad was the only one at fault? Also alternately offer to repair his damages as a goodwill at your FNG. He is free to choose, but please don't fall for his bullying. Good luck!
priyankarb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:38   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Looks like white car scraped himself by trying to overtake you on the turn. Where’s the confusion?
White car should’ve waited until red car completes its turn and right of way was of the red car.
Just ask the white car guy to take a hike.
RunGaDa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 15:25   #29
BHPian

Hi,
Don't know if my reply is late. Police have much better things to do than file a FIR for a fender bender and hence that threat is an empty one. Here in Tamil Nadu, we have the concept of CSR. He can go to the station and get a CSR and claim insurance. You or for that matter, your father is in no way liable. We live in a country where even a death due to road accident invokes a penalty of Rs.5000/- to the driver. There is no such thing called morally right here. It is an accident and should be seen as one.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 16:33   #30
BHPian

He is definitely taking advantage of your good nature here. If he threatens a police case ask him to go ahead. Such a minor dent on a 5 year old car doesn't warrant 15k.
Just block his number and move on. Your car has suffered damage too.
It is part and parcel of driving in Bangalore.
tracerspiff is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed