Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 19:36   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advocate harasses a few lady bikers on NICE road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
How/why is this even encouraged?

What would happen if someone pulls out from a blind spot to overtake. As per markings on the road they have room to overtake.
I am not encouraging it, when did I say that? all I am saying it is not a fast blind corner as it is perceived here and it is perfectly fine if they took a quick water pit stop. Go there and see for yourself, most often it is frustratingly slow crawl that happens at the location. Also the girls are parked on the white kerb lines and not on the road as we see normally.

If you are talking by the book, well I don't think anyone in India will qualify to clear it
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 19:39   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
What I understand is that the women were trying to relieve themselves, it must have happened in the past too, any house owner would object to such act within his premises. Lack of adequate public toilet on this expensive expressway should have triggered a protest from the public rather than this kind of solidarity.
Is there absolutely any basis for this speculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
Looks like its not an one off incident where people have stopped in front of advocate's father's farm gate and stolen his farm produce.
======
I know neither the ladies nor the advocate. I will not respond to personal attacks.
Is there any basis for this speculation that produce was stolen etc etc?

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th March 2023 at 19:47. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid Quoting entire large post for replies. Inconveniences mobile users especially.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 20:13   #93
BHPian

Throwing in my take with the rest of the community.

Both sides are wrong

1. Bikers for stopping on the exit road. Many folks need a lesson or two to stop at a place where you are completely off the road and safe to stop unless it is an emergency which doesn't seem to be the case here

2. The advocate, for snatching the keys and misbehaving. No matter what, he should not have forcefully taken away the bike keys since it is not his property. He should have called the cops instead of taking the law into his hands.

Best to put a board stating do not stop at this area.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th March 2023 at 10:46. Reason: Typo
Old 10th March 2023, 21:18   #94
BHPian

Let's just assume for a moment that the ladies had stopped atrociusly with a collision waiting to happen. Do you think the advocate and his father yelled at them for safety reasons? Absolutely not!.

A classic case of watching over their land ( for whatever reason). All that he should have done was to have spoken a bit politely or even better just waited a few moments and they would have moved anyway!. He ordered them to move which worsened it. As for the ladies, once they heard the yelling, should have quickly looked to move as these kind of incidents with local people mean only trouble!

And now this idiotic case is going to be heard in court.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 22:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Not understanding what is this private road, road is farmers property etc. Are these people not compensated and settled during road aquisition? What is this "my road" thing about?
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 13:36   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not understanding what is this private road, road is farmers property etc. Are these people not compensated and settled during road aquisition? What is this "my road" thing about?
It happens only in India .

Give up your land. By force or not, get 10 crores, then sit outside your house with a long face, looking at the world grudgingly making use of whatever infrastructure has come up there " these shameless people are making merry on my land" 10 crores not withstanding
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 18:23   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
I know neither the ladies nor the advocate. I will not respond to personal attacks.
Notwithstanding the history of the land and landowners & the losses they have suffered, notwithstanding the 'I have the right to stop anywhere' behavior of the girls, nothing justifies taking the key of someone else's vehicle and using abusive language. There can't be an argument to the contrary.
venkyhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:43   #98
RMN
BHPian

The advocate's actions were plain stupid but so are people to misuse Google maps with the troll mentality.
RMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 19:44   #99
BHPian

At the risk of ruffling some feathers I will say that this is only part of the wider problem in India - that of homeowners believing that any road stretches adjacent to their property is also part of their fiefdom.

Cops on their part believe this is a non-issue and mostly do not intervene.

In some cities such as New Delhi parking anywhere has become impossible since apparently all lanes, roads, alleys and curbside stretches belong to somebody or the other - I witness this routinely at the pretentious localities of Defence Colony, Panchsheel and Safdarjang Enclave. Sadly many are members of selective clubs and forums, sporting all kinds of fancy stickers and badges of affiliations. Yet when someone dares to park or even stop in front of their havelis all hell breaks loose and you have bankers, IT professionals, service members, police and advocates all threatening verbal and physical violence to the unwary driver for the grave transgression of parking on a public road.
J2022 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:32   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
At the risk of ruffling some feathers I will say that this is only part of the wider problem in India - that of homeowners believing that any road stretches adjacent to their property is also part of their fiefdom.

Cops on their part believe this is a non-issue and mostly do not intervene.
Not only homeowners, even the carts on the street ask you to move the cars and not to park in particular places. If you insist, the common dialogue is that they are not responsible if there is any damage. This whole thinking is like a disease, its like a polio or chicken pox, which needs a sustained and substantial effort to eradicate.

Looks like News18 has picked up the news today - https://www.news18.com/buzz/you-cant...s-7283905.html

My house is on a dead end cross road. The entrance to the my street is a T junction and has an apartment on the main street right opposite to my street. So every day the apartment owners, visitor use my street for various purpose - temp parking, gathering, group smoking, parking the generator and some time in late night we have caught people actual drinking alcohol. There were people who used to park decently or gather without causing inconvenience to others. The cross street had become a utility area of the apartment. There were 2 elderly people on the cross road (including my mother) who would need to go to hospital anytime.

So after some time we started questioning/complaining and asked anyone parked/standing there to remove the vehicle or move away. We went through the common cycle of dialogues like - is it your private road, we have right to stand or smoke on open road, do you know who we are etc. We never got physical and through sustained dialogue with the apartment association the problem was resolved.

Apartment resident still use the street for walking, kids cycling, parking etc.. but they are mindful of other residents.

Side note : Our kids still don't get access to their kids play area

So believe the Advocate could have behaved in a mature way rather than snatching the keys.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th March 2023 at 07:06. Reason: Rapido incident moved to relevant thread
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 19:11   #101
BHPian

I'm quite amused seeing a lot of comments supporting the action of the man and his father. What happened to chivalry and grace being extended to women, especially when they belong to a rare tribe of biker-women? Most of us are from a corporate background and talk about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at our workplace. Can't the same be extended to women outside of office, on the road, especially women who are a bit different from the norm? Yes, if the women were wrong, it can still be communicated in a professional manner or told why it is dangerous to stop there or whether they were blocking an exit. I'm sure the women did not camp there and rather were taking a short break that too on the opposite side of the road of where this guy and his father were located.

That man is nothing but an immature and uncouth typical Indian man who decided to make it an ego issue. I hope he gets the karma he deserves, one day!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th March 2023 at 06:40. Reason: Please use decent language
saleem_k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 19:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Not only homeowners, even the carts on the street ask you to move the cars and not to park in particular places. If you insist, the common dialogue is that they are not responsible if there is any damage. This whole thinking is like a disease, its like a polio or chicken pox, which needs a sustained and substantial effort to eradicate.

So believe the Advocate could have behaved in a mature way rather than snatching the keys.
I don't expect cart owners to know basic traffic rules. Most are poor people eking out a living under constant stress of police, local gangs, snooty customers, etc.

However homeowners come from a different class of society. Nearly all have impressive qualifications and pedigree so it is a disappointment when they start behaving as though they own the road.

I like to joke that the country will only truly transform when a homeowner gets it into his head that roads are public places and they have no business "caretaking" their stretch of road whether benevolently or otherwise.

That advocate in the video had no business, period. There is no question of "behaving in a mature way". He was acting like a thug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I'm quite amused seeing a lot of comments supporting the action of the man and his father. What happened to chivalry and grace being extended to women, especially when they belong to a rare tribe of biker-women? Most of us are from a corporate background and talk about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at our workplace. Can't the same be extended to women outside of office, on the road, especially women who are a bit different from the norm? Yes, if the women were wrong, it can still be communicated in a professional manner or told why it is dangerous to stop there or whether they were blocking an exit. I'm sure the women did not camp there and rather were taking a short break that too on the opposite side of the road of where this guy and his father were located.

That man is nothing but an immature and uncouth typical Indian man whose balls got swollen seeing women bikers and he decided to make it an ego issue. I hope he gets the karma he deserves, one day!
Absolutely. I suspect deep down a lot of those writing such comments are conscious of their own proprietary claims to the lanes, alleys and streets beside their own homes / farm houses / bungalows; as such they would not like to criticize too much in case some magical revolution results in homeowners getting barred from this kind of parochialism.

Last edited by J2022 : 14th March 2023 at 19:49.
J2022 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 00:04   #103
BHPian

Long time back I faced this issue, someone just parked his scooty behind my bike and boxed it in (while I was collecting a take away). After looking for any evident owner, which i couldn't find, I just lifted the scooty by its tail it and moved it to create an angle to make way for my bike to back out. Out came an idiot uncle from the bungalow in front claiming the vacant shoulder of the street opposite his house is his "first-right" to park and I can't touch his scooty like that. Then we had a verbal spat there and few other people from that locality joined in claiming other people and coming an parking there and it's a nuisance. My point to them was only on the line: 1. any premises outside his walls is not his "first-right" as he has not paid any taxes etc 2. use common sense when parking your vehicle. 3. there is no no-parking board on that street. While arguing he accidentally grabbed my arm and I warned him to remove his arm before I grab him back.

Off late I see flower pots on footpaths everywhere in front of bungalows.

These misplaced idea of ownership is everywhere. The nice road where the ladies were stopping is not owned by the advocate period, so he cannot confront anyone by snatching keys, twisting arms. Then he should also be ready for any self defense action by men/women when he is invading their personal space.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:49   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This topic has been discussed enough. Closing thread.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks