Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 21:20   #1
BHPian

How to track drivers involved in an incident with you?

I was involved with an incident with a driver who sped off after the near miss.

I had his number on my dashcam and did search for the owner on the e-challan website of Telangana. He already had a few challans to his name and not to my surprise, was challaned for overspeeding (at 147 km/hr) a few minutes after the incident with me.

I can see the owners name and did a Google search and found nothing related to him.

Details in the attached video and some images.

Question is, how do you track such hooligans? Or do you invest your time on tracking such hooligans?

Would be interested to know your stories of such searches

Attached Thumbnails
How to track drivers involved in an incident with you?-screenshot_20230311_0908562.jpg  

How to track drivers involved in an incident with you?-screenshot_20230311_0906282.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 21:32   #2
BHPian

re: How to track drivers involved in an incident with you?

What an utter moron. He deserves to have his license cancelled for at least a year. That poor Rapid has been abused too, it's always the dunces ruining great cars like these. Since you're in Hyderabad, perhaps try tagging your local traffic police on Twitter and other social media along with the clip? Or take the footage to a local police station. Don't let him get away.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 23:35   #3
BHPian

It is called sense of entitlement, 'mere baap ka raj hai'.

Filing a police complaint can be a first step. But nowadays, administrations (govt/police/others) respond to social media. (Resting my bandook on your shoulders.) You can try that.

We are having a similar discussion on another T-BHP thread from Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5508015 (Advocate harasses a few lady bikers on NICE road))

Unless and until we can chase, prosecute and jail these morons, we live with them, accept their shenanigans and their attitude.

Do we?
mygodbole is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 23:57   #4
BHPian

Since there was no collision/accident as such, but more of rash driving from the Rapid driver. Given the general nature and response of traffic police I doubt they would take any action on the incident.
yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 01:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post

Unless and until we can chase, prosecute and jail these morons, we live with them, accept their shenanigans and their attitude.

Do we?
As per the recent data there are 59,87,477 high court cases pending in India.

While I do understand that the culture of 'value of my time > value of anyone else's time' is pathetic, but going as far as saying that someone should be jailed for something that OP mentioned is totally and completely unwarranted.

OP is correct in figuring out a way to track someone but I am sure doing this and publically sharing this info will have negative implications.

With no offence to anyone, if we start prosecuting for lane bullying, we would be left with almost to nil drivers on road.

I, for one, have accepted the reality of driving on Indian roads. Its either of the 2 modes of dealing with traffic which are polar opposites - accommodating and non-accomodating.

Always take Indian traffic with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by bhphog : 17th March 2023 at 01:23.
bhphog is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
OP is correct in figuring out a way to track someone but I am sure doing this and publically sharing this info will have negative implications.

With no offence to anyone, if we start prosecuting for lane bullying, we would be left with almost to nil drivers on road.
There is no intention of raising a police complaint regarding this incident. I would have already done it before even posting the thread here.

There are two questions in my post and I am trying to find answer to them only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Since there was no collision/accident as such, but more of rash driving from the Rapid driver. Given the general nature and response of traffic police I doubt they would take any action on the incident.
Yes, I agree too. However, driving at 147 km/hr is a bigger crime and police knows it (they have raised a challan). I will let them do what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
It is called sense of entitlement, 'mere baap ka raj hai'.

Filing a police complaint can be a first step. But nowadays, administrations (govt/police/others) respond to social media. (Resting my bandook on your shoulders.
Nobody has time to get involved in police matters when there is no loss of property, which was my second question in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
What an utter moron. He deserves to have his license cancelled for at least a year.
Yes, it should be; but not for the lane change, but for overspeeding and endangering others on the road. 150 km/hr speed on a within city ring road is dangerous. However, police just raised a challan, he already had a few unpaid overspeeding challan issued to his name.

My question is now more like a poll, if you get involved in a minor incident of reckless driving, what will you do?

1. Track the offender on the road and punish him (verbally, calling police, physically (by your car or muscle :-))

2. Track him later using online tools and see who he is (just for your information, do nothing thereafter). Please share if you did it sometime or how you intend to do it. .

3. Malign him publicly, posting his act and personal details on social media (like I kind of did it with my post).

4. Do nothing, save your time and energy. It is business as usual.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 17th March 2023 at 09:51.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:48   #7
BHPian

Maybe eloquently use a few of the choicest cuss words and move on, saving energy and breath. It isn't fruitful to argue with idiots. But raising it up with the traffic cops is a good thing. Perhaps post on social media if you have an account somewhere, just to create awareness. Just don't be hell bent on seeking revenge, he'll get his justice served sometime later in life. Karma is a sweet thing.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
My question is now more like a poll, if you get involved in a minor incident of reckless driving, what will you do?

1. Track the offender on the road and punish him (verbally, calling police, physically (by your car or muscle :-))
I won't go this route at all. Some may call be timid, but self preservation is first priority. I don't have any muscle/ political backing and a family to look after.

Quote:
2. Track him later using online tools and see who he is (just for your information, do nothing thereafter). Please share if you did it sometime or how you intend to do it.
May be. But what's the use. If I start doing this for every moron I see on the road, I won't have time left for anything else.

Quote:
3. Malign him publicly, posting his act and personal details on social media (like I kind of did it with my post).
That's the way to go.

Quote:
In this case, this guy is already challaned for over-speeding. However, for the reckless driving captured on the camera, police won't even take notice. So, keeping oneself at rest is the only way. May be, to let go your frustration, you could have yelled out some unparliamentary words within the confines of your vehicle (with windows closed)
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 12:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The risk with going public is you have no way to prove who was at the wheel at the time of this incident. At best, you can find who owns the car (like you did here), and then it’s just your word against theirs (oh, my driver was at the wheel and I have reprimanded him now or my car was at service and this was maybe their driver).

Secondly, this sort of driving is pretty common in our country. YT is filled with people posting such antics themselves and still having a fanbase!

Unless you wish to pursue this legally, I doubt there is much to be gained from spending your time and energy going after the car/people in this particular incident.

Think of the speeding ticket as karma and move on with your life.
Dry Ice is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 13:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
4th option is the best option. Even with an incident happening to anyones car.
Reason. More than the police, every rogue in Hyderabad is associated to some local rowdy fellow. One call and there would be a bunch of people surrounding us.
None would support if someone is thrashed even in day light.
So, let Karma take its own course. (Kharmam pani taanu chEsukuni pOtundi).

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th March 2023 at 13:12. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 17th March 2023, 13:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have to say, I find your poll options quite discomforting. In reality, two of your options propose mob / public justice.
- Who gave you (or anyone propagating it) the authority?
- What if the other person turns out to be a bigger thug than you can be?
- That person might have done something by error / misjudgment / inadvertently - whereas you'd be retaliating deliberately. What does that make you?

Stuff happens - you needn't "accept and move on" compulsorily. But if you want to do something about it, do so within the stipulations of the law.

Just my opinion - I'm not in favour of such vigilantism.

PS: be careful and mindful of posting others' personal details on social media.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th March 2023 at 13:38.
libranof1987 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 13:55   #12
BHPian

Expecting quick judiciary result is a very far fetched dream in India, a court case/ police complaint is very long, full of hassle process even for someone who operates in the same line of business. So for someone who doesn't work in the same line of business I would suggest you put the case into "I met with an Idiot" basket and move on.

It is no joke when people say that "court ke chakkar me chappal ghis jayi par insaf na aaya" (translation- My shoes are worn out due to rounds to court cases but my justice is still awaited).
udzgodfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:14   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The video triggers my anger. Excuse me, but I'm someone who asks questions rather than ignoring the situation.

Have you ever tried confronting the driver after passing the toll, asking why they pulled off such a stunt, and giving them a firm but polite scolding? I would only do this if I'm alone, not with my family. And if you decide to do it, be prepared for anything, especially if you have evidence like this video. I won't let the driver go until they apologize, or the extent of the damage or stunt determines the resolution.

I recall reading an article on Team-BHP a while ago - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...situation.html (Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation).

Individuals like myself who couldn't keep their cool are the only reason people who engage in such behavior have the chance to improve or they will think twice before doing such act again.

If you decide to stop the driver, prevent them from leaving until they apologize, or waste their time taking pictures, it may cause them to reconsider doing something similar in the future.

Regarding your question on how to track the driver, it may not be possible unless there was significant damage to your vehicle that warrants police intervention, or if you have connections with influential individuals.

In cases of minor offenses like overtaking, tracking them afterwards may be challenging. The police have more significant cases to handle, and since you left the driver on the spot, it may be a matter of luck to find them now.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have to say, I find your poll options quite discomforting. In reality, two of your options propose mob / public justice.
People do things, the poll is not recommending anything, but assessing what do people do or would like to do in such situations. Not creating such a poll as the options are not inline with the forum's thought process is valued and respected.

If people from a country bully or hurt our citizens, we have 3, 4 options.
1. Leave it like that, they will learn anyways.
2. Find them, punish them.
3. Find them, make their credentials known to everyone. May be it will act as a deterrent.
4. Go all out, rage a war against the country from where those people originated.

Not everyone opts for option 1 or option 4. But, options exist and have been executed.

Coming back to our case, it may be an intentional bullying or miscalculation on the part of the driver, but running away from the scene and not rendering a simple shake of head kind of apology and then endangering lives of others by trying to run away the fastest your car can, is unacceptable to me. If I would have been in this person's place, I would stop after the toll and render an apology for my miscalculation.

We have made public, inadvertent mistakes of drivers allowing children standing out of sunroofs. See the discussion post #156 onwards https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5344445 (Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!)
I was against such practices, but was corrected.

Now, I am on the other side, but still unsure what to do. One day I will learn what to do and make myself a better informed person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
The video triggers my anger. Excuse me, but I'm someone who asks questions rather than ignoring the situation.

Have you ever tried confronting the driver after passing the toll, asking why they pulled off such a stunt, and giving them a firm but polite scolding? I would only do this if I'm alone, not with my family. And if you decide to do it, be prepared for anything, especially if you have evidence like this video. I won't let the driver go until they apologize, or the extent of the damage or stunt determines the resolution.

Individuals like myself who couldn't keep their cool are the only reason people who engage in such behavior have the chance to improve or they will think twice before doing such act again.

If you decide to stop the driver, prevent them from leaving until they apologize, or waste their time taking pictures, it may cause them to reconsider doing something similar in the future.
Good to find someone who is thinking exactly like I think.

I tried to catch this person after the toll, but he vanished in the direction of my way, he completely ignored the speed limits. I am not in favor of breaking a rule and endangering others to catch someone for an apology, I know you are also like me. I left the chase once it went beyond the speed limits, although it was in the direction of my way home.

I have complete trust on the speedguns on this path that they will catch this offender, like they did.

147 km/hr!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 17th March 2023 at 15:13.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

OP should sometime come to North, this is nothing. I will say this guy at least took his hand out and asked you to give him space. What if he had an actual emergency? I know, it's not right but what if?

As others have suggested, we cannot change everyone and expecting others to follow or be civil all the time, will be distant if I have to be candid. My own BP goes high if I have to travel in rush hour from my home to the office which is less than 2 kms. Can safely say 99% of road users do not understand the "right of way" or "yield "
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks