Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
very very common in bangalore.

1. Distract drivers in signals and carry away valuables through the window.
2. Switched off cars with door locks open. Open the door and carry away laptop bag (never ever use laptop bags, they are very obvious. Buy the samsonite ones or a normal one to carry laptop)
3. Two wheelers with laptop bag. Same, one thief pushes the guy off and another one snatches the bag and runs.
4. Break open parked cars windows and steal laptops, mobiles etc.
5. Throw **** on the car windscreen/person. Yes, this also happens. Or say that your tyre is flat. You are distracted, get down and the thief makes away with whatever you have in the car/bike.

Keep laptops in normal bags, DO NOT use laptop bags.
Keep valuables locked in the boot. Its safer and out of view.
Keep doors locked. If you switch off engine in the signal, activate the central lock.
Never keep anything on the dashboard or places visible. laptops, ipods, mobiles, wallets.
When you park your car, you can put the HU below the front seat. Saves the trouble of carrying it and its not visible.

It is indeed very scary!! In pune kids selling magazines try this stunt. They engage the driver and at the same time another kid sneaks up to the passenger window and looks inside. I have never heard about any thefts so far. But after reading these posts, I realize what they were trying!!

As far as I am concerned, I roll up my windows, put on the AC and never open the windows, till I reach my destination. I see lots of beggars also, at traffic signals, but no amount of pleading will make me open my windows!
Old 4th April 2008, 18:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzapzoom View Post
this happened with my friend in his maruti van..............
He was traveling from mahim to bandra east. After taking left on mahim causaway as he started climbing the bridge, his car started sputtering/jerking. he panicked as the car was right on slope and that too at night. All he could do was switch on his emergency lights and get down from the car. Occasional car behind him had to break hard as he was spotted right on the blind turn. if you are from mumbai you will know it's a blind turn with steep incline climbing up.
fortunately 2 bike riders stopped by for him and pretended to be mechanics going home from work. to all their credit the helped him push it up the incline and park at shoulder on the bridge. Both took charge of car and started investigation, with him and his wife looking helplessly. finally they zeroed on saying the the ignition coil was a problem so after taking 1000 rs from him one guy rushed off to bring new coil on bike, which he promptly bought with a small chit of paper with 900 written on it. he also returned the balance money there by gaining his trust.
with new ( actually old) ignition coil in place my friend went home thanking the two angels profusely, they even denied any money as labour charges saying it was every good citizens duty to help others.
Next day visit to regular garage enlightened him that the discarded coil was absolutely good working condition and the new ( old ) one is worthless.

His mechanic explained that these people, at some traffic jams or at some place where the car is parked for long time sneak below the car and loosen the exposed fuel pipe or cut off fuel supply if possible then the car runs for some time on minimum fuel available then stops with jerks...
( this is clear indication of shorted fuel supply though your gauge is showing full tank.)
that explains as he was returning from hotel-dinner at mahim. you never know where the valet's parking your car. (if you read the parking ticket hotels give you, the complete responcibility of theft/damage to car is always with you )

I guess now a days all the new cars have the fuel lines unexposed so this cannot be done of new cars.

hope everyone reading is aware and warn others....

Zipzapzoom

Mods, isn't this post a bit off topic? Correct me if I am wrong!!!

Cheers!!!
Old 4th April 2008, 18:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I have never heard about any thefts so far.
May be you are new to pune. such thing did happen and were in local news papers too.
Old 18th April 2008, 10:28   #19
Team-BHP Support

My laptop is on the front seat and its strap goes thru my seat belt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks