Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2023, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed

Early March, one of the office days, I returned from office, and my father handed me a challan and said, "You Jumped a Traffic Signal".
At first I felt bad, but then remembered that I never jump signals. When I looked at the Challan, it read Jan 4th, and it had a signal close to our house. By now I was mildly confident that it should be some mistake, and I wanted to find out more.

I tried to fetch photo or video evidence of my challan number, but the portal was always throwing errors. I then enquired at the traffic police station close to my house, and they asked me to download an APP on my phone.

I found "Traffic Fines" app, but this also was only mentioning the details of my fine. Another day, I was adamantly searching from my phone, on the "btp" portal and finally was able to get to the Photo on my Phone

Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed-violation-image.jpg
And Wow, I could see that the lights were OFF, when I was taking the turn. It showed 8:30:38 on the image. Now I was convinced that they had done a mistake.

I still wasn't sure where this was, so I went back to a couple of signals near this place and found the manhole cover on the left side, and the medical shop, and the signal on the median. I took a photo just in case, I wanted more evidence to prove that the signals were both in-sync. (The one on the median, and the other on the opposite side).
Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed-img_5032.jpg

I went back to the police station and showed them, and they asked me to go to the TMS near Indian express.
https://goo.gl/maps/2jNdRjq7XcHHDgRo7

I went here last Saturday afternoon, and there was not much happening. One person at the reception directed me to 1st floor, where there was just one more police person managing the computers. And there was just one other person who was trying to negotiate his fines.

A few minutes later, I was in, and showed this, along with my Challan. She was able to extract a few other photos before and after, and she confirmed that it was Amber at that time (It was blinking, so my photo had no lights on them, but other photos showed amber), and she immediately reverted my fine. I could see photos of how they were able to zoom into my Number plate, and increase brightness only on that area. They seem to have amazing technology, and she claimed that they give away 20,000 fines per camera in a day. She said, there were repeat offenders and they never cared for these, or never cared to even pay fines. They would also avoid policemen, and if caught would also scold policemen that they were getting late. I still can't get my head around those numbers. 20,000 fines per camera

A few tips:
The links might not work on Mac, neither challan number nor Vehicle number worked. No other browser helped, nor did allowing pop ups helped. (I almost gave up)
On my phone, it didn't work when I gave "-" as in KA-03.
Traffic Fines app doesn't give you photo evidence.
Phone also had my image messed up. It was showing the image of my earlier offence last year, when I was riding without pilion wearing helmet (It was a short distance, and there was no way I could have avoided that, but was caught on the first instance, on a camera). Somehow, a few links directed me to the exact photo.
Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed-img_5033.jpg
The Policewomen also suggested that I needn't have gone there, and a simple mail would have done the trick, to the email shown in the Pic.
vinya_jag is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 15:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed

A happy ending for you, so congratulations and hats off to your patience and persistence.

I have received 2 challans already which were intended for other vehicles. My mint-new Ather 450X showed up with a challan from last year (!) and when I checked it on the Maharashtra e-challan portal, it showed some other motorbike with a different number (one letter had been switched). I have protested that using the online grievance redressal mechanism and hoping for the best.

Some months ago my Kia Seltos was booked for a violation "rider and pillion not wearing helmet" . Sure enough the picture showed some random motorbike guy with a number similar to mine (again one or two letters off).

It's a good system but hasn't been tested enough so end up getting these annoying mistaken identity challans from time to time. Hopefully with time they will figure out a better way!
noopster is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 16:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I found "Traffic Fines" app, but this also was only mentioning the details of my fine. Another day, I was adamantly searching from my phone, on the "btp" portal and finally was able to get to the Photo on my Phone
Great stuff! From where did you download the photo of the incident?
Old 31st March 2023, 16:48   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Great job! Congratulations on your unwavering determination and confidence in resolving this issue.

Although the problem has been fixed, I cannot help but reflect on the challenges we faced while using the portal. While the technology behind the system is impressive when it comes to issuing fines, it is not as user-friendly for individuals to raise complaints and get issues resolved through the portal. Most people would prefer to pay the fine rather than go through the hassle of resolving the issue. It would be beneficial if they could implement a ticketing system to address problems through the portal itself.
raptor_diwan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 17:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
From where did you download the photo of the incident?
Sorry, here is the link
https://www.karnatakaone.gov.in/Poli...FineCollection
Again, this never works on my Mac. I get a 500 response.
Try it on your personal phone
vinya_jag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:32   #6
BANNED

20,000 fines/day per camera is impossible as there are only 86,400 seconds in a day. So every 4 seconds 1 traffic violation should happen per camera! She may have meant 20,000/month.
The Rationalist is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
So every 4 seconds 1 traffic violation should happen per camera!
This is a very believable scenario in India.

Too many people don't wear helmets, ride as a trio, don't wear seat belts, overspeed, take wrong turns, jump signals, etc.
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:54   #8
BHPian

Wow, thanks for this. I have some bogus challan pending. And I know it’s bogus because it’s for parking in a No Parking zone at a place which I have never been let alone parked at in my life. It really burns when you’ve been conscientious while thousands (millions) of others break rules willy nilly, ignore fines and then you get shafted. Had an argument with one of those cops who stops you at a signal to collect pending fines and he told me to go to some office which I didn’t remember. This really helps. Will look this up and try your process. Much appreciated.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:47   #9
BHPian

For all planning to visit the Traffic HQ for pending fines (incorrect ones), be aware that they do not store the Automated pictures for proof beyond 6 months. E.g. traffic light cameras. There is no option but to pay after the picture gets removed from the server.

But the ones clicked by a traffic cop will be available beyond this period. I found it hard way.

Had to visit to get two fines removed from my scooter which actually was of some bike in a diff. area in the city. The one on my car was older and taken from the Ejipura signal and I had to pay as there was no proof that it's not my car as I never went to that area during Covid.
The traffic HQ is near Shivajinagar and you can park inside which I was not aware before the visit. Hope this helps. If the parking is full you can park nearby or at BMTC MLPL which not too far.
vidyanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 16:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
20,000 fines/day per camera is impossible as there are only 86,400 seconds in a day. So every 4 seconds 1 traffic violation should happen per camera! She may have meant 20,000/month.
Or maybe she meant Rs 20,000 worth of fines per camera per day,
SedateGuy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 08:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Multiple vehicles can be fined at the same time from the same picture. Is it not?
Like in the picture posted by OP, if it was indeed jumping the red signal, both, the bike and the car would have got fined.
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

I have received 2 challans already which were intended for other vehicles. My mint-new Ather 450X showed up with a challan from last year (!) and when I checked it on the Maharashtra e-challan portal, it showed some other motorbike with a different number (one letter had been switched). I have protested that using the online grievance redressal mechanism and hoping for the best.
Update: this got reversed today! Perhaps someone in MH traffic police is active on Team BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Or maybe she meant Rs 20,000 worth of fines per camera per day,
That's more likely, same thought came to my mind.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 13:58   #13
BHPian

Re: Wrong traffic challan - I got it reversed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Wow, thanks for this. I have some bogus challan pending. And I know it’s bogus because it’s for parking in a No Parking zone at a place which I have never been let alone parked at in my life. It really burns when you’ve been conscientious while thousands (millions) of others break rules willy nilly, ignore fines and then you get shafted. Had an argument with one of those cops who stops you at a signal to collect pending fines and he told me to go to some office which I didn’t remember. This really helps. Will look this up and try your process. Much appreciated.
You can mail requesting for violation images / correction on automationpubbcp@ksp.gov.in

They reply in couple of days

Most Viewed