Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 15:11   #16
BHPian

have touched the figure umpteem times in my 87 Padmini BE and couple of times in uncle's 137D.....made to around 100kmph in dukkar fiat too
Old 26th July 2007, 15:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

Why can't a Padmini do 120km or more? Especially if it's well kept!
Old 26th July 2007, 16:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

when i was small my uncle to have a Fiat and once while coming back after a trip my uncle touched and suddenly the hood opened and we couldn't see what was in front of us
luckily uncle manage to stop the car

after that i am scared on sitting in a padmini over 100
Old 26th July 2007, 16:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Why can't a Padmini do 120km or more? Especially if it's well kept!
it can do more if well kept. ask suman and he will tell you about 1100D's fiat and the speed she touched at ease. But most importantly - better tyres and working brakes are must.
Old 26th July 2007, 16:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

That exactly my point here as 'WELL KEPT'.
Old 26th July 2007, 16:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
it can do more if well kept. ask suman and he will tell you about 1100D's fiat and the speed she touched at ease. But most importantly - better tyres and working brakes are must.
I can even tell you about my own 1100D (1967) - in her heydays, I've taken her up to 110 kmph on VIP Road and Red Road with ease. Not sure about the speedo errror though. Dynamic balancing of the engine as well as headers did help the cause I guess
Old 26th July 2007, 16:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

my car did 100+ (speedo stuck at 100) as well when it was stock. but 1100D's fiat always enjoyed the top-end speed - so at one point she used to fly by me. i havent tried the top speed in my car after i got the aftermarket headers.
Old 26th July 2007, 17:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Guys - 120 Kmph In A Fiat Is Very Common For Me. I Have Done Baroda To Mumbai (440 Kms) In 5 And A Half Hours. I Have Done Mahabaleshwar To Mumbai In 3 And A Half Hours Many Times. I Have Touched 70 Mph (112 Kmph) In A 1964 Left Hand Drive Fiat 1221 Cc.

There Is A Correct Way To Do It. It Is All About Tuning. Obviously The Engine Must Be In Perfect Tune, But You Also Need To Tune The Chassis For Ride And Handling. Surprised ? Read On !

the Engine:
The Most Important Thing Is Valve Timing. First Of All, You Need To Know Whether The Camshaft Lobes Are Still Having Full Lift. If No, Then Whatever You Do Will Not Work. The "chaal" Of An Untuned Engine Will Tell You Whether The Cam Is Ok And The Engine Is Tuneable. I Can State Here With Full Confidence That I Have Yet To Come Across A Single Mechanic Who Knows The "exact Procedure" To Set Valve Timing (in Common Jargon - Replacing The Timing Chain). Once This Is Done As It Should Be Done (the Process Is Quite Long So I Will Send It Across To Karlosdeville And Request Him To Put It Across To You All), The Next Thing To Tackle Is The Much Maligned Distributor.

the Distributor:
I Have Yet To Come Across A Single Mechanic Who "does Not Put Grease" In The Distributor. It Is Common Sense. The Centrifugal Advance Can Only Work If The Weights Fly Apart. How Will The Weights Ever Fly If They Are Constrained By Grease ? Then Everybody Blames The Car. A "greased" Distributor Takes Around 4 Hours To Clean. I Have The Patience To Do All This. Once Done, The Dwell Angle Is 60 Degrees, The Ignition Timing Is 10 Degrees Btdc For Non-s1 Engines And 7 Degrees Btdc For S1 Engines, But You Need To Be Clear What The Timing Mark On The Pulley Indicates. There Are 3 Types Of Pulleys, So Be Careful. If There Is Only One Mark, It Is Tdc. If There Are 4 Marks, The Single Mark Is Tdc And The Other Three Marks Are 8 Degrees, 10 Degrees And 12 Degrees Btdc For Non-s1 Cars And 5 Degrees, 7 Degrees And 9 Degrees Btdc For S1 Cars. The Next In Line Is The Carburettor.

the Carburettor:
The Best Carburettor Is The Solex Mcs1061. This Has An Internal Vent, Has An Econostat And Comes With A 97.5 Size Main Jet But For Optimum Performance without Deterioration Of Fuel Economy, You Need To Use A 102 Size Main Jet, Otherwise Do Not Disturb Any Other Part, Especially The Emulsion Tube. The Idling Speed Must Be Set To 720 +/- 20 Rpm. Vacuum Should Me More Than 480 Mm Of Hg Measured In The Intake Manifold.

the Valves:
I Have Yet Come Across A Mechanic Who Has Correct Tappet Guages. The Specification Is 0.1 Mm In Dead Cold Condition. You Can Try This. If You Set To 0.1 Mm In Dead Cold Condition, You Will Get 0.35 Mm In Hot Condition, Which Will Cause A Good Amount Of Mechanical Clatter. The Process Is To Set The Tappets In A Hot Engine With The Engine Idling And Set It To 0.2 Mm (8 Thou) Intake And 0.25 Mm (10 Thou) Exhaust Valves. From The Fan Backwards, The Valves Are E-i-i-e-e-i-i-e.

chassis Tuning:
the Clutch - Use A Good Msl Make Clutch With Original Actuating Links. There Should Be No Undue Clearence In The Links. Free Play Is Around 15 To 19 Mm.

the Suspension:
Most Important - Use Original Spider Assemblies Only - Nothing Else Will Work. Use New Control Arms And Thread The Spiders Without Any Clearence. Then Set The Camber To Zero And Caster To +2 Degrees Without Load (the Original Spec Is With Load But The Alternate Without Load Gives A Fairly Accurate Result).

the Wheels:
Use Production 3.5j*14 Wheels. The Offset Is +31 Mm. There Were Some 4j Wheels Released In 1994 Cars And If You Can Lay Your Hands On Those, So Much The Better. Do Not Use 118ne Wheels. The Offset Is 37 Mm So The Track Will Reduce By 12 Mm. Set The Tyre Pressure To 25/27 Psi Front/back In Dead Cold Condition.

the Steering:
Set The Steering Gear Clearence To Just Zero. Use 220 Cc Of Sae140 Oil In The Steering Gearbox.

the Cooling System:
You Need To Have A Good Radiator And Hoses. If You Can Use A Degassing Tank, It Is Ideal.

Then Drive @ 120 Kmph. I Do It For A Short Stretch Everytime I Do Mumbai Pune Or Mumbai Nasik (at 50 Bucks A Litre, It Is Ok Only For A Small Distance). All My Cars Regularly Give Me 15 Kmpl. I Have A Mikuni In One Car But I Have Not Yet Evaluated It Much As I Use This Car Only Once A Year.

Do Send In Your Comments & I Will Be More Than Happy To Answer Any Queries That You Have. Bye For Now.

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2007, 01:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There Is A Correct Way To Do It. It Is All About Tuning. Obviously The Engine Must Be In Perfect Tune, But You Also Need To Tune The Chassis For Ride And Handling. Surprised ? Read On !

the Distributor:
I Have Yet To Come Across A Single Mechanic Who "does Not Put Grease" In The Distributor. It Is Common Sense. The Centrifugal Advance Can Only Work If The Weights Fly Apart. How Will The Weights Ever Fly If They Are Constrained By Grease ? Then Everybody Blames The Car. A "greased" Distributor Takes Around 4 Hours To Clean. I Have The Patience To Do All This. Once Done, The Dwell Angle Is 60 Degrees, The Ignition Timing Is 10 Degrees Btdc For Non-s1 Engines And 7 Degrees Btdc For S1 Engines, But You Need To Be Clear What The Timing Mark On The Pulley Indicates. There Are 3 Types Of Pulleys, So Be Careful. If There Is Only One Mark, It Is Tdc. If There Are 4 Marks, The Single Mark Is Tdc And The Other Three Marks Are 8 Degrees, 10 Degrees And 12 Degrees Btdc For Non-s1 Cars And 5 Degrees, 7 Degrees And 9 Degrees Btdc For S1 Cars.

Do Send In Your Comments & I Will Be More Than Happy To Answer Any Queries That You Have. Bye For Now.

Behram Dhabhar
@ Mr. Dhabhar - Please elaborate more on this part - if possible please give details with Pics.

@ 1100D - i should have documented it a long time back - nothing more like a LIVE demo on how to do it

Last edited by planet_rocker : 27th July 2007 at 01:06.
Old 27th July 2007, 01:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

120! WHAT 120?
When my 1100d speedo shows 110 the Ikon following behind notes 125! But it has to be said that it takes time getting there.

Planet, dont worry you drive at 60, so til the point in time I come back, stick there.

On the second Team-bhp meet, on the less than perfect Rajarhat strech, she was cruising at 100 as indicated on her speedo, nothing scary about it, @Suman can alaborate! This was prior to the chassis restoration.

Chassis needed to be restored because the rear-cross member to floor panel and the left leaf housing had rusted. As a result the car did a small disco dance to announce its arrival at the meet on heavy braking and swerving! Got the whole floorboards replaced and thanks to Mr Dhabar for suggestions as to how to tie up the car prior to the floorboard removal.
Old 27th July 2007, 02:45   #26
Team-BHP Support

Hi Behram, I just went through one of the best advices on tuning, maintenance and upkeep of a Fiat. Great job there.
Old 27th July 2007, 03:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Oh one more thing, the Padmini speedo error is on the -ve side, meaning, it underindicates. Why because the regulations earlier was 0-120% of variation, now it is +-10 percent. So no prizes for guessing that the new gen car manufacturers use the new leeway to overindicate.
Old 27th July 2007, 03:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Some of you guys may be astonished to know that back in the day, stock group N fiats with no mods other than a freeflow muffler did 140 km/h with relative ease. No secrets there. The trick is to tune properly as Mr. Dhabhar has outlined. The only secrets are the ignition timing, carb tuning & method for adjusting the valves (no, its not the same method as he said, thats the factory method & will not give the best results specially with a different cam).
Old 27th July 2007, 10:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
On the second Team-bhp meet, on the less than perfect Rajarhat strech, she was cruising at 100 as indicated on her speedo, nothing scary about it, @Suman can alaborate! This was prior to the chassis restoration.
Bang on!! And I was enjoying myself, it was after AGES that I was in a Fiat that was cruising along, hell make that RIPPING along & I was enjoying the exhaust note......so much so that by the time I shook myself out of my relaxed mode to take a pic, we had gone by the best stretch of road & had to lower our speed.

As Anirban mentions, nothing remotely scary about it, car was very stable.
Old 29th July 2007, 17:51   #30
BHPian

yah i belve that padmini can run at 120km/h. cause i have one (86 model). it gives a milage of 10km/ltr at that speed. otherwise i get 14-15 km/ltr

Most Viewed