Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2015, 12:23   #556
BHPian

I would like to thank everyone for their response, yes my cousin and I both came to know about the rule. None of this altercation would have happened in the first place if the traffic police would have reassured us with the law instead of switching between charges. Maybe he himself was not sure of it. Oh well, a lesson was learnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I think your brother has been assuming too many negative things; to keep a neutral view, I would consider most of his assumptions and thoughts quite overboard.

And clearly as others mentioned above, the number plate is wrong. The havaldar had every right to stop and ask him about it. Giving reasons that other cars also have it clearly not a credible reason, however valid it might be.

Also I see your cousin assuming that he wants a bribe, again however valid it might be on a realistic note, it is still just an assumption.

Requesting mods to change the thread title - clearly there was no "gundardi" or harrasement out here; just a basic police check being wrongly mis-understood.

P.s. @starfire, you might want to share this thread and the responses with your cousin.
I really don't blame him in case you feel he's going overboard, his past experiences with cops have just made him loose his faith with them. That said yes I did not know the rules either as I had seen many cars with two or three digits on the road, speaking of which your car too has a 3 digit number plate mentioned at the front right? Judging by your profile picture.

Just like that maybe he too committed the mistake. All the same thank you, I have shared the thread with him. Using this as a learning tool for the same

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th January 2015 at 18:26.
Old 26th January 2015, 18:36   #557
D C
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police and cousin brother at Palm Beach Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
On asking him what happened, he said your number plate has only two numbers instead of four to which I replied that the number is "65" thus the "00’s" are not put on it and there are number of cars on the road which have the same format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
From an unbiased point of view, I think if your registration number is 65 then it should be put as 0065 on the number plate - the way it is mentioned in the official registration card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Not to support the police at all, but I think the number should be written exactly how it is written when you registered your car. If RC says 0065, it should be 0065 and not 65.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Starfire sorry to say but your cousin was wrong here with registration. The number even if is a 2 digit, it acutally is 00xx or 0065 in this case. I know people with fancy numbers tend to get the number plates in similar forms, but that is illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is not possible to skip the '00'. Those two digits have a meaning and is given to safeguard you actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
And clearly as others mentioned above, the number plate is wrong. The havaldar had every right to stop and ask him about it.
I am just curious. Why would the number be 0065 instead of 65. It is a number in a series that starts from 1 to 9999. What difference does it actually make?

The MH MVD website list all the numbers as is, none of them are prefixed with Zero to make it a 4 digit.

Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Department Website - VIP Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The practice of prefixing Zeros to complete Four digits registration numbers is not followed by Kerala RTOs. The RC card will show only single, double and triple digits as the case may be.
But the number of the issuing office should have the Zero prefix, (Eg: KL 01 and not KL 1)
True, why would every RTO have their own rules. I have checked one of my friend's number in the Kerala MDV website. His registration number is 10 and when we input KL XX XX 0010, it says no records are available. The website shows details of the vehicle when the number is input as 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If the cop was honest or did not have any other ideas, he should have booked the offender under wrong/illegal number plate and not under jumped the traffic light.

That's the whole point, my thoughts are exactly same as Sheel. If the police were sure about the rule of having four digits in the number plate, why wouldn't they charge the offender for an incorrect number plate?

Last edited by D C : 26th January 2015 at 18:39.
Old 26th January 2015, 19:21   #558
BHPian

I don't see any harassment by the Cops. But doesnot mean that they are not capable of doing that. But that is a different discussion all together.

Writing the complete number is a mandatory requirement. But unfortunately many don't do that and the Cops also don't bother most of the time.

In the given case, the mistake is on the car owner. Why are the Cops been blamed here.

Please be careful before posting things on social medias like facebook etc when there is mistake on your part. You may end with with facing legal consequences.
Old 27th January 2015, 12:10   #559
BHPian

Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

The rule regarding the Numbers is that it should be displayed exactly as it is mentioned in the RC. No Alterations can be done to the number.
If Your RC shows MH 12 XX 1 instead of MH 12 XX 0001 only then you can omit the extra zeroes.
Old 27th January 2015, 14:33   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I am just curious. Why would the number be 0065 instead of 65. It is a number in a series that starts from 1 to 9999. What difference does it actually make?

The MH MVD website list all the numbers as is, none of them are prefixed with Zero to make it a 4 digit.

Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Department Website - VIP Numbers
Well, if MH MVD is your criterion, rather check out the scanned copy of the Paripatrak regarding Attractive Registration Numbers published by MVD in 2013.

Format is also in accordance with the central-government approved HSRP system (High Security Registration Plates) which will eventually be followed by all states.
Old 27th January 2015, 14:38   #561
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
As per the rules here that are followed, single, double and triple digits need the equivalent '0's to be prefixed to make it 'XXXX'.
Old 28th January 2015, 09:33   #562
BHPian

Found this Rossi fan today morning..
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-img_20150128_085735.jpg  

Old 28th January 2015, 10:22   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Found this Rossi fan today morning..
Does a Duke come in that shade of Blue ?
Old 28th January 2015, 10:29   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Its the color which caught my eye at first. Dont think the duke comes in blue. Looking at the bike it was really difficult to say if it was an aftermarket paint job as it was looking pretty neat.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:49   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
No. Its blue vinyl with a *Racing* decal.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 21:09   #566
BHPian

Take a look at this number plate!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422632320.884317.jpg
So here's one more baboon!
MH02 DW 2421 apparently!
manas27587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 01:35   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't like this sequel.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150207_013418.png
Views: 5017
Size:  502.6 KB

Ps: it's a standard plate, nothing wrong with it.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 04:45   #568
BHPian

Any guesses on what the number actually is ?
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-1423264461571.jpg  

Old 7th February 2015, 09:24   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Any guesses on what the number actually is ?
KL-14 Q 71

Captain, perhaps you must start trying the probable options (writing Q very similar to 0, 6 & 8 similar to B, just to mention a couple of them)
Old 7th February 2015, 09:56   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
KL-14 Q 71

Captain, perhaps you must start trying the probable options (writing Q very similar to 0, 6 & 8 similar to B, just to mention a couple of them)
Silversteed, first shot on spot.
I got the actual number when we over took him, till then we kept guessing what it could be. Anyways have sent this snap to the concerned RTO also. on their whatsapp. Till date not delivered. :banghead:

Most Viewed