Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2015, 11:36   #571
BHPian

Saw this Dubai registered hummer cruising on Palm beach road, Vashi yesterday evening.
Take a look at this number plate!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423289194.108885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th February 2015, 21:56   #572
Senior - BHPian

Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Saw this Dubai registered hummer cruising on Palm beach road, Vashi yesterday evening.
Time and again, it has been mentioned here that vehicles registered in other countries can be brought to India on an arrangement called Carnet. The vehicle has to be sent back to the original country of registration within a year (IIRC). This one also would fall in the same category.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 00:11   #573
BHPian

Take a look at this number plate!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423420802.719484.jpg
Actually its getting irritating seeing these plates now.
Old 10th February 2015, 22:34   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this today near my home. This combination hasn't been used in over a decade. Take a look at this number plate!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423587855.411083.jpg
Old 6th March 2015, 11:34   #575
Senior - BHPian

Few days back, I spotted a BMW E39 530i (excited!!), and then, noticed a strange thing about the number plate.

It is Delhi registered, but the number read DL 8 SU 0041. Number plate did not appear damaged.

I thought all New Delhi registered cars had the letter "C" after the RTO district? So the number ought to begin with DL 8C?
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-20150305_183157.jpg  

Old 6th March 2015, 11:47   #576
Senior - BHPian

Anybody know Sid here?

Take a look at this number plate!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1425622637.514297.jpg
Old 6th March 2015, 11:50   #577
BHPian

Got a problem ! ?

Look no further than the 'EE BOSS' of the road !

Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-bhp.jpg  

Last edited by poised2drive : 6th March 2015 at 11:52.
Old 6th March 2015, 16:35   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
It is Delhi registered, but the number read DL 8 SU 0041. Number plate did not appear damaged.

I thought all New Delhi registered cars had the letter "C" after the RTO district? So the number ought to begin with DL 8C?
Similarly they also have the letter "S" after the RTO district number for two-wheelers. So one explanation could be that the owner had registered a two-wheeler with this number a while back and when he bought his BMW, transferred this "preferred" number to it (maybe after pulling several strings). Transferring number from one vehicle to another is allowed I believe (see: http://www.carblogindia.com/keep-old...er-on-new-car/).
Old 7th March 2015, 00:18   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Few days back, I spotted a BMW E39 530i (excited!!), and then, noticed a strange thing about the number plate.

It is true that "most" Private cars in Delhi have the letter C on the registration. The series "S" is for scooters but 0041 is a VIP number and a while back (10 years approximately) VIP numbers in Delhi were issued free of cost through Political References and that is when the RTO realised it could not cope up with the demand using just one series, so they started issuing only VIP numbers from the "S" and "F" series. These numbers are a common sight nowadays due to the new practice of the Government Auctioning VIP numbers in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Similarly they also have the letter "S" after the RTO district number for two-wheelers. So one explanation could be that the owner had registered a two-wheeler with this number a while back and when he bought his BMW, transferred this "preferred" number to it (maybe after pulling several strings). Transferring number from one vehicle to another is allowed I believe (see: http://www.carblogindia.com/keep-old...er-on-new-car/).

Also while transferring numbers is allowed in Delhi, it cannot be from a 2 wheeler to a 4 wheeler or vice versa since there are different series for both the categories.

Last edited by Jag4 : 7th March 2015 at 00:22.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 01:04   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
It is true that "most" Private cars in Delhi have the letter C on the registration. The series "S" is for scooters but 0041 is a VIP number and a while back (10 years approximately) VIP numbers in Delhi were issued free of cost through Political References and that is when the RTO realised it could not cope up with the demand using just one series, so they started issuing only VIP numbers from the "S" and "F" series. These numbers are a common sight nowadays due to the new practice of the Government Auctioning VIP numbers in Delhi.
VIP numbers issued from "S" series to cars? I have seen plenty cars from "F" series but none from "S". Only one or two RTOs must have subjected to such casual approach.

While we are on the topic of Delhi registrations, has anyone noticed random series like "NC" as in e.g. 'DL 3C NC xxxx' particularly on Honda cars? Similar such series on Maruti cars as well (cannot recall) . It appears as if some series have been pre-allotted (to dealers?).

EDIT: My mistake, should have consulted on the all-knowing TeamBHP first. Info already shared here

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 7th March 2015 at 01:18. Reason: Query cleared
Old 7th March 2015, 22:21   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
VIP numbers issued from "S" series to cars? I have seen plenty cars from "F" series but none from "S". Only one or two RTOs must have subjected to such casual approach.

While we are on the topic of Delhi registrations, has anyone noticed random series like "NC" as in e.g. 'DL 3C NC xxxx' particularly on Honda cars? Similar such series on Maruti cars as well (cannot recall) . It appears as if some series have been pre-allotted (to dealers?).

EDIT: My mistake, should have consulted on the all-knowing TeamBHP first. Info already shared here
Looks like you are new here. Please have a look at the examples below :-
Take a look at this number plate!-ndl-9sm-1.jpg

Take a look at this number plate!-ndl-3sw-1.jpg

It started with RTO No.3 and ended with RTO No.9 which were the total number authorities until 2010-11 when it was extended to DL 14.
At the risk of going way off topic, I would like to clear your doubt. In Delhi, all the VIP numbers are issued by the Rajpura Road Authority (which additionally deals with DL 1*) as it is the RTO HQ so there is no question of RTO's behaving casually.
Jag4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 00:05   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post

Attachment 1347591

At the risk of going way off topic, I would like to clear your doubt. In Delhi, all the VIP numbers are issued by the Rajpura Road Authority (which additionally deals with DL 1*) as it is the RTO HQ so there is no question of RTO's behaving casually.
You are absolutely right about special leniency for issuing 'S' series for cars in Delhi. This was primarily done because the VIP numbers from most C series were already taken, to an extent that the VIP numbers of the new series for next many lakh cars registration were already taken. So, under the political pressure, the transport department came up with this idea of issuing the much lesser demanded scooter numbers onto the cars for pleasing the political bosses.
All one needed was a letter of recommendation from MLA/MP/Counsillor or Transport commissioner to get a VIP number. The minister's PAs in collusion with car dealers made quite some money from the wannabe VIPs searching for a 'jack' to get a fancy registration number for their new rides.

An interesting fact I would like to mention here: The '3SW' series was specially opened for car registration of Delhi High Court judges(they were given Esteem VX models in those days). So the law keepers themselves were keen to bend the law. Later on, the entire fleet of esteems from 'DL 3SW 0001' to 'DL 3SW 0020' was auctioned and the the winning bidders got to keep the numbers along with the cars(the cars clubbed with numbers were sold for ground-nuts!).
Grr7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 12:39   #583
BHPian

Here is one of those few examples showing how English numerals can easily be twisted into Devnagari letters.
No prize for guessing number and implied name..
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-dsc_8440.jpg  

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 12th March 2015 at 12:40.
mahesh_sn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 12:59   #584
BHPian

Came across this one yesterday. On very close look was able to distinguish the numbers which otherwise looked all zeroes to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-img_2015031230613.jpg  

saikatmandal04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 10:20   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Came across this one yesterday. On very close look was able to distinguish the numbers which otherwise looked all zeroes to me.
Hello saikatmandal04, Did you manage to decode the numbers? Looking at the picture i can see TS 00 EG 0000
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed