Old 3rd June 2010, 19:57   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Is't that an A-Star ?
Yeah my bad It is indeed the A-star
Old 4th June 2010, 00:47   #122
BHPian

Spotted last weekend in Ooty outside the Botanical Garden. The Santro seems to be running with a Kannada licence plate. I'm surprised it wasn't impounded. I hope those who support this kind of regional chauvinism will sit up and take notice. If this car were involved in a hit-and-run, I wonder how many bystanders would be able to decipher the number. (I would be clueless.)
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-numberplate.jpg  

Old 6th June 2010, 16:30   #123
BHPian

Fast-track
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-numb-plt.jpg  

Old 6th June 2010, 22:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Foreign looking number plates are affixed not only to consulate vehicles but also to international organizations too. ICRISAT vehicles at Hyderabad had this kind of numbering.
Old 6th June 2010, 23:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Foreign looking number plates are affixed not only to consulate vehicles but also to international organizations too. ICRISAT vehicles at Hyderabad had this kind of numbering.
Diplomatic number plates are only given to consulates or UN subsidiary organisations. ICRISAT being a UN subsidiary falls under this category
Old 7th June 2010, 17:04   #126
BHPian

check this out

I couldn't read the number on this guys number plate
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-sp_a0174.jpg  

Take a look at this number plate!-sp_a0175.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 02:06   #127
BHPian

Ok I know many of you will hate me for what I am going to say - There is nothing really wrong in having such fancy plates. Some people want to make their cars feel special, let them. If the authorities have a problem with it, legalize it and charge a premium for it. As for local script, in Karnataka, it is mandatory for ALL government vehicles ONLY to have dual script. English on top and Kannada at the bottom. Old rule was having at least ONE plate (either front or back) in Kannada. This was told to me by my Maruti service station (MARS) guy when I was inquiring about a government SX4 which was banged up. Non official cars SHOULD NOT have the registration plates in local font. That is illegal.
Old 25th June 2010, 20:59   #128
Senior - BHPian

icon

icon from my city.
just guess the number.
Take a look at this number plate!-08032010167.jpg
Old 25th June 2010, 21:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
icon from my city.
just guess the number.
Attachment 375014
MH24-V-2161 by any chance???
Old 26th June 2010, 11:08   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
icon from my city.

just guess the number.
Attachment 375014
He's attempted to write "Marata" using the number.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:25   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Ok I know many of you will hate me for what I am going to say - There is nothing really wrong in having such fancy plates. Some people want to make their cars feel special, let them. If the authorities have a problem with it, legalize it and charge a premium for it. As for local script, in Karnataka, it is mandatory for ALL government vehicles ONLY to have dual script. English on top and Kannada at the bottom. Old rule was having at least ONE plate (either front or back) in Kannada. This was told to me by my Maruti service station (MARS) guy when I was inquiring about a government SX4 which was banged up. Non official cars SHOULD NOT have the registration plates in local font. That is illegal.
There are quite a few things which are wrong with these fancy number plates. Most of them are not legible. Either the font is too small or the number plate is reflective or is not put in the right place. In case of accidents committed by these vehicles, it will be very difficult for anyone to note the number.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:28   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpripr View Post
There are quite a few things which are wrong with these fancy number plates. Most of them are not legible. Either the font is too small or the number plate is reflective or is not put in the right place. In case of accidents committed by these vehicles, it will be very difficult for anyone to note the number.
Hmm. Did you mean the opposite, ie, legit plates should be reflective? I just bought a used Fiesta and changed the plates to the 'High-Security' ones (they are reflective); hence the concern.
Old 27th June 2010, 13:25   #133
BHPian

Its time the authorities crack down on number plates that are not according to standards. I've seen plates of vehicles from other states running in Bangalore. What is the big deal? Even these out of town vehicles had their number plates written in Kannada!
Old 28th June 2010, 13:17   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Hmm. Did you mean the opposite, ie, legit plates should be reflective? I just bought a used Fiesta and changed the plates to the 'High-Security' ones (they are reflective); hence the concern.
I used the word in a different context. In some of the number plates, the background is not pure white and the numbers are not visible (mostly not in black as required by law) unless viewed at a certain angle.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:05   #135
BHPian

This stuff is way common. I've seen reflective number plates so that at a certain angle, the number plate looks blank. Some I've seen with all the numbers really really small, and just the last two or three digits spelled large. So many cars with huge bumper guards covering both the front and the rear number plates COMPLETELY. Some number plates with some really stupid unheard of designation like 'DEPUTY COMMISSIONER - ARTS FACULTY' covering the number plate.

We Indians will ALWAYS break the law. It's in our nature to try and look important and stand our from the rest. Put a red light on top or a blue light, just to seem important. We aren't happy to be normal. I think Team-BHP should organise a road law thread or an education thread to at least educate us about whats proper and whats illegal!

Most Viewed