Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 15:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Sorry for going OT. About a month back I saw an Innova having black license plates starting with an upward arrow followed by numbers first & then alphabets. Please shed some light. Thanks in advance.
Upward arrow is pointing UP, hence it stands for Uttar Pradesh (UP)

creative!

Last edited by anekho : 25th December 2009 at 15:52.
Old 25th December 2009, 15:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for going OT. About a month back I saw an Innova having black license plates starting with an upward arrow followed by numbers first & then alphabets, all in white. Please shed some light. Thanks in advance.

It might not be anything creative in all probabbilities.

It ought to be a vehicle belonging to the DEFENCE FORCES - a MILITARY VEHICLE.

Military vehicles always have numbers commencing with an arrow pointing upwards ...
Old 25th December 2009, 17:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
What do you think of BOSS? I have seen many changing the 8055 number to read as BOSS. Some just write the number 8055 in a way to look as boss. Some just write BOSS
I hate to see that BOSS plates. To whom are they a BOSS? To the RTO/Govt who allow them to roam with such plates? Doing some this like that is a Shame.

We, at least the Team-BHPians, who a part of the responsible community keep such silly things aside of us.

Last edited by agbenny : 25th December 2009 at 17:25.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:23   #94
BHPian

One more - shot over an year ago

How is one supposed to understand the number in a single glance?
OgAAAOkzIjaxyCGMcneiqQLf4P6YtezzsRas6g2S8Z8s3A-Z_prLodLYF4292cKhwjjB_Gh8P3_mOXdjQ9R5nXHkgTYAm1T1UM2w
Old 29th December 2009, 20:23   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
After spending so much on getting the VIP number the least he can do is get a better regn plate!!

The screws are positioned badly.
These plates are from a Mondeo in bangalore and used to belong or still belongs to a relative of a Kannada movie star.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:15   #96
BHPian

Looks like the cops at least seem to be making the right noises about this menace, at least in Maharashtra. The below text is from today's newspaper. Let us see how effective this is. Basically, they plan to increase the fine for such 'modded' number plates to 5K (no typo here) from the current Rs 100.

Quote:
Illegible licence plates will now invite Rs 5,000 fine

The Transport Department feels the current fine of Rs 100 isn’t nearly enough to deter offenders

SANTOSH ANDHALE

To curb the practice of bike and car owners using fancy number plates that are difficult to decipher, the Transport Department has decided to increase the fine on offenders to Rs 5,000 from the present Rs 100.
Central Motor Vehicle Rules specify the permissible dimension of letters and figures of the registration mark, the space between letters and numerals, and the distance from the edge of the plate. However, these rules are seldom followed.
Several owners of two and four-wheelers stylise and modify the number plates according to their liking. Under the influence of political parties, some make the numbers look like people’s names in the Devnagari script. For example, people modify the number 4141, making it appear like the Marathi word ‘dada’. The number 2151 is made to look like ‘Raj’, and 4912 is styled to resemble ‘Pawar’. Some use weird designs for the number plates. All these make it difficult for officials to identify the numbers.
“Number plates are very important; nobody should tamper with them. However, people do not take this seriously because the fine is low. They just pay and don’t bother. We are not interested in collecting heavy fines from people, but want to stop the practice. So, we are increasing the fine,” said State Transport Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil.
Though a date for implementing the hike has not been decided, sources said it can be expected very soon.
A traffic policeman said that offenders are charged under Sections 50 and 51 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules for violating size of letters and numerals of the registration mark. But as they are fined on Rs 100, nobody bothers changing the plates despite being told to do so.
However, Bhalchandra Shirole, a resident of Mumbai Central, begs to differ. “My bike number is 4912, which after modification, looks like the Marathi surname Pawar. I was recently caught by the police. After that, I decided to change the number plates, realising I was at fault,” he said.

Some vehicle owners modify the numbers which look like a Marathi or Hindi word. This makes it difficult for officials to identify the numbers
I will try and locate the actual weblink for this. But the question is, will this work??

When I was trying to locate the link, this is what I found after the crackdown (in chennai) on these illegible number plates
Quote:
But there are some like Suresh Jumani, who turned the numerals 8055' on his number plate to Alphabets BOSS' who are still hesitant to change. "If the numbers are visible, what's the big deal?" he shrugs. He bought the special number and then had it fixed on his car in a funky digital format and says he doesn't mind paying the fine "to keep the style." He adds, "I paid a special price for the plate Rs 25,000 - and the style and I don't see why the police have to fine people who have a passion for their cars," says the mobile shop owner.
The link for this story is Crackdown spurs return to regular numberplates - Chennai - City - The Times of India

Last edited by adits : 31st December 2009 at 11:17.
Old 31st December 2009, 16:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I hate to see that BOSS plates. To whom are they a BOSS? To the RTO/Govt who allow them to roam with such plates? Doing some this like that is a Shame.

We, at least the Team-BHPians, who a part of the responsible community keep such silly things aside of us.
No offence to anyone but 2 decades ago in college BOSS was the secret code for "the must have friend"

Brother Of Sxxy Sxxt.
Old 31st December 2009, 20:02   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for going OT. About a month back I saw an Innova having black license plates starting with an upward arrow followed by numbers first & then alphabets, all in white. Please shed some light. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Upward arrow is pointing UP, hence it stands for Uttar Pradesh (UP)

creative!
Not.....here is an excerpt from WIkipedia....

Indian licence plates - Definition

"Military vehicles have a unique numbering system unlike any other licence numbers. The numbers are registered by the Ministry of Defence in New Delhi and appear to have a pseudo-random numbering. The first (or the third) character is always an arrow pointing upwards. The first two digits signify the year in which the Military procured the vehicle."
Old 31st December 2009, 20:08   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's a military license plate.

Cheers!
Old 13th February 2010, 00:35   #100
Senior - BHPian

Today i spotted this Swift at the Intl airport. Strangely, it had foreign number plates as if it belongs to a consulate!!! But then it was a Maruti Suzuki Swift and the variant said Swift 'Glam'. Now isn't that strange?

P.S: pardon me for the picture quality..it was taken while on the move.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-dsc01287.jpg  

Take a look at this number plate!-dsc01288.jpg  

Last edited by theragingbull : 13th February 2010 at 00:36.
Old 13th February 2010, 00:42   #101
Senior - BHPian

The Glam is a so called 'limited edition' Swift launched a while back with beige dual-tone interiors and other unnecessary stuff.And the number plate indeed suggests its a consulate car! So not so strange any more!
Old 13th February 2010, 01:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

ok, thanks Ayan. I didn't know there was a 'Glam' edition of the Swift too. But why register an Indian Swift as a foreign consulate vehicle? Usually consulate vehicles are imports and have the reg. no of the respective country.
Old 13th February 2010, 01:31   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
ok, thanks Ayan. I didn't know there was a 'Glam' edition of the Swift too. But why register an Indian Swift as a foreign consulate vehicle? Usually consulate vehicles are imports and have the reg. no of the respective country.
Those yellow plates on the Swift are diplomatic plates which have either CD or CC,which stand for Diplomatic Corps or Consular Corps respectively.And consulate cars come with blue plates with white lettering,which,mostly are imports.

Not really,I've seen many Indian cars including the Corolla Altis and even an Omni(!) with diplomatic plates.
Old 13th February 2010, 02:59   #104
BHPian

Presenting the first of its kind Yamaha Cobra,
Take a look at this number plate!-img_3950.jpg

Yamaha fans don't

Last edited by arvindmanju : 13th February 2010 at 03:04.
Old 13th February 2010, 09:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this last week & it really got on my nerves. What is this kind of material on which the number is imprinted? I wasn't able to read the numbers when the vehicle was in motion; all the more it looks like a mirror!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-picture.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks