Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 23:14   #286
BHPian

Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
As per the law you have to do a lot of things to ensure your number plate is legally compliant; read for yourself here:

http://www.vakilno1.com/bareacts/cen...r1989/s50.html

In particular, check (1)(iv) and (3) - does your vehicle conform to those rules? Or for that matter, (1)(i) - I assume my plates are compliant, but I have never checked or measured.

Having not met the person, I cannot comment. But being acquainted with people who keep their number plate in the vernacular, the most common reason I hear is pride in their mother tongue, and lack of awareness of the rules. I will assume this owner also falls into that category.

It might be legally wrong, but I don't find anything "ethically" wrong with it (unless it is done for the explicit reason of evading the MVI's eye - which I don't believe for a minute is a successful ploy).
To summarize, we have completely failed in implementing the law on vehicle plates. These plates are meant for identification only of the vehicle and not for any love of the land or language. Beyond this any further dialogue in this regard will amount to argumentative discussion and the moderators may object.

Also I came across this, where the RTO in Pune are also on a crack down on number plates written in Marathi !

http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report_...plates_1740374
Old 14th November 2012, 07:28   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a sticker. Is this not illegal?
Take a look at this number plate!-dsc00537.jpg

Cheers!
Old 14th November 2012, 08:57   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is a sticker. Is this not illegal?
Attachment 1014021
Cheers!
See the link in my post #284 in this thread. Almost all number plates are illegal in India. On the other hand, when the transition from white-on-black to black-on-white happened, a lot of vehicles (including my own) did it via stickers.

Here is a personalized variant of the "legally compliant" number plate. The second photo shows how it was being driven. This is on Wind Tunnel Road, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-20121112_150017.jpg  

Take a look at this number plate!-20121112_150048.jpg  

Old 10th February 2013, 06:09   #289
Senior - BHPian

Yet another big boss.

Take a look at this number plate!-20130128_142922.jpg

Had spotted another one, but with a difference - the number was 6055 and was written with a lower-case 'b' in calculator-font - at the HP pump near Wind Tunnel Road signal. Couldn't click a pick as I was on the road moving with the traffic
Old 10th February 2013, 09:29   #290
Senior - BHPian

is this an embassy vehicle?

Take a look at this number plate!-_mg_0017.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 10:49   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I regularly see a safari with plates CC 3 15 or something. Always wonder what type of vehicle is that!
Old 10th February 2013, 11:18   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't look like an embassy vehicle.I have seen some army vehicles with similar number.
Old 10th February 2013, 11:29   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yet another big boss.

Attachment 1049071

Had spotted another one, but with a difference - the number was 6055 and was written with a lower-case 'b' in calculator-font - at the HP pump near Wind Tunnel Road signal. Couldn't click a pick as I was on the road moving with the traffic
From what I heard, 8055 commands one of the highest prices for on-demand fancy numbers (right up there with 9999, 7777, etc), due to this resemblance to the word 'BOSS' when written in the digital font. 6055 is next priciest with the small case 'bOSS' .

Quote:

Attachment 1049078
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
I regularly see a safari with plates CC 3 15 or something. Always wonder what type of vehicle is that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Doesn't look like an embassy vehicle.I have seen some army vehicles with similar number.
That's definitely an embassy vehicle. Only consulates' vehicles follow the convention of white letters on a blue board. CC stands for Consular Corps, and 01 preceding it stands for the country code (not sure which one, perhaps USA).

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th February 2013 at 11:31.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 00:24   #294
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1049078
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
That's definitely an embassy vehicle. Only consulates' vehicles follow the convention of white letters on a blue board. CC stands for Consular Corps, and 01 preceding it stands for the country code (not sure which one, perhaps USA).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...lomatic_plates

Vehicles belonging to foreign consulates have white lettering on a light blue background (e.g. 22 UN 14)

Vehicle belonging to foreign missions bear the plates UN, CD or CC, which stand for United Nations, Diplomatic Corps or Consular Corps respectively. A diplomatic plate numbered 13 CC xxxx would refer to country 13, probably a country close to the letter A or B. For example, a vehicle bearing the number 77 CD xxxx in India refers to a vehicle owned by either the United States mission in India or by a person working with the mission

They are not Military plates. Military plates have an accompanying arrow pointing upwards on them. The article talks about Military vehicle numbering system too.
Waggy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 09:00   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
From what I heard, 8055 commands one of the highest prices for on-demand fancy numbers
There is 8655 too. I am planning to make a collection of these big bosses :-)

Quote:
I always understood it to be in alphabetic order - US, as seen in Chennai, uses 77. By that logic 01 should be Afghanistan - which has no diplomatic presence in Bangalore and probably isn't in a position to afford the vehicle it is on :-)

Another theory is the order in which diplomatic missions were established.

Perhaps it is a mix of both, in which case 01 could be Australia which I guess can afford a Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...lomatic_plates

They are not Military plates. Military plates have an accompanying arrow pointing upwards on them. The article talks about Military vehicle numbering system too.
(I used to be a contributor to that wikipedia page - you are probably reading my stuff)

As far as military vehicles go, the number starts with an upward arrow, followed by 2 digits which I strongly suspect indicates a year (either vehicle manufacture year, or purchase year, or registration year - likely the last mentioned). Then a letter, 6 digits and another letter. Haven't yet figured out all that - anyone has ideas?
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 11:06   #296
BHPian

Quote:
By that logic 01 should be Afghanistan - which has no diplomatic presence in Bangalore and probably isn't in a position to afford the vehicle it is on :-)
Diplomatic plates are based on alphabetical order of countries, so in all probability that vehicle belongs to the Afghan embassy. What makes you think they can't afford a Fortuner? Btw there is an Afghan consulate in Mumbai, maybe that vehicle travelled from Mumbai to Bangalore!

Quote:
As far as military vehicles go, the number starts with an upward arrow, followed by 2 digits which I strongly suspect indicates a year (either vehicle manufacture year, or purchase year, or registration year - likely the last mentioned). Then a letter, 6 digits and another letter. Haven't yet figured out all that - anyone has ideas?
The two digits preceding the arrow represent the year of purchase and the alphabet after the year I think (not sure) represents the month. The last alphabet represents class of vehicle. Don't know what the 6 digits in the middle represent.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:45   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Military vehicles have a unique numbering system unlike any other licence numbers. The numbers are registered by the Ministry of Defence in New Delhi. The first (or the third) character is an upward-pointing arrow. This is known as a Broad Arrow, whose origins lie in the UK Office of Ordnance and is still used in many parts of the British Commonwealth on assorted army items, not just vehicles. The next two digits (or the two preceding the arrow) signify the year in which the Military procured the vehicle. The next is the base code, followed by the serial number. The letter ending after the serial number indicates the class of the vehicle.

source: Wiki
Old 12th February 2013, 12:33   #298
BHPian

Quote:
(I used to be a contributor to that wikipedia page - you are probably reading my stuff)

?
Thanks from my side for the community contribution!

I just digged a bit more on the internet for Diplomat vehicles and came across this doc on some government website.

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/li...2378653021.pdf

According to this, CD is assigned to Diplomats in Delhi only and CC is assigned to Diplomats posted elsewhere in the Country. I'm trying to find more about the numbers.

Military numbering system is already discussed deep in
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...er-plates.html

I'll try to compose a short synopsis when I get some time.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:39   #299
BHPian

Looks like this guy carried only number plate and enough money to buy Tata 407 while deporting from Texas

Spotted this in Kormangala
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-ere.jpg  

500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 12:24   #300
BHPian

A Team-BHP fan?

Take a look at this number plate!-270120132884.jpg

Spotted on the day of the parx rally.

Also, a friend sent me this. What kind of a number is this?

Take a look at this number plate!-abcd0007.jpg

Last edited by carzone : 13th February 2013 at 12:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks