Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:47   #31
Team-BHP Support

Thats bad luck Rudra Da. Last month I was driving a friend's swift and had to brake hard at one point when a safari banged into the rear and almost sent us flying into the opposite lane. It was sheer luck that there was no oncoming car in the opposite lane. The safari had a huge bull bar and so its loss was minimal, only the headlights were broken and we could not catch the guy. Anyway, since I was driving I had to pay for the entire damage :-(
Hope your car gets back to its glory as soon as possible.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

Insurance will cover:
6,250 of 12500/- plus tax for bumper.
3000 of 3000/- for bumper painting.
5500 of 5500/- for tinkering and paint that dented part. Need to paint the whole boot.
2250 of 5500 for plastic impact beam

Total Covered by the insurance = Rs.17,000/- plus labour costs.
Total spent out of pocket = Rs.8,500

Total lost on NCB (no claim bonus) would be approximately Rs.10,000 (worst case) spread over the next 2 years. That is provided he does not have another reason to claim in those following years.

Insurance is there for a reason.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:53   #33
LLL
BHPian

If the car has not gone to svc center, can you get the bumper welded instead? I had a similar incident and a crack appeared in the bumper. Got it welded for 200 bucks and its as good as new. But yes, doesnt look as nice as a new bumper.
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, what? you are not having the Innova guy pay for your repair? If you were able to brake in time, so should he.
Are you turning into a saint or what?
Damn, if I ever hit somebody's car like that I hope it is yours.
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:04   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
you are not having the Innova guy pay for your repair?
I don't see Rudra catching the guy by the collar and forcing him to pay! the other driver is not legally required to pay anything.
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, this is Rudra's second rear bumper .
The first bumper met a metal pipe sticking from the ground.
This was in 2004.
It cost U something around 14k back then. Correct, Rudra??
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

lucky that its just the bumper.

I have seen Innova backending Alto ( or was it zen) and a dent for Alto rear bumper but Innova needed a bumper change and I also saw coolant leaking!
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Too perfect to be a co-incidence now. Exact same thing happened last night to my cab at the same junction.

Rudra was it Prof' Ashirvatham circle ?

Well was enroute home after work at 9pm, a sumo ahead of my cab(sumo) and the signal is green for us to pass.As usual both cabs are in a hurry to cross to the signal before it turns red.

A dude on his Honda Activa(looks like a techie) coming from residency road thinks he can beat the traffic from Museum Road(St.Patricks) side and tries to jump the signal.

Sumo ahead of us doing speeds of about 40kmph and my cab at a fair distance almost at the same speed.

The clown(biker) comes to the center of the road and then realizes he cant clear the junction, screeches to halt. Sumo ahead of us slams the brakes real hard, our driver literally stands on the brake and next thing thud.

Some-one rear ended our cab. No damage except for a bent rear door footrest(?) and his cars grill was dangling, broken right headlamp and a dent on the bonnet.

No commotion, no verbal abuses nothing.Both drivers check the cab and the car and are on their way.

Lesson learnt : Nitwits are found on Honda Activa's and are dressed neatly too.

Back to the topic, hats off to you. I am sure you have a lot of patience and handled the situation really well.

edit : Just read the costs involved. Sorry to hear that. Dint know that the damage was that extensive.Wonder why bumpers are so expensive ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 2nd August 2007 at 20:55.
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:05   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Wonder why bumpers are so expensive ?
One of the most expendable/frequently replaced parts - ideal for maximized profits, no?
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:12   #40
BHPian

The bumper looks like it could be fixed with a little bit of heat / fibre glass. But then thatz a cheap way to fix it. Maybe you could try doing it on that bumper. If its ok use it, or else get the new one anyways
Old 3rd August 2007, 07:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Abhi, you got it wrong!
For Plastic & fibre parts, 50% of cost is paid by Insurance Co.
I am saying this coz I have replaced my Bumper couple of times & I paid only 50% of cost.
Thanks for update Finneyp, I probably heard it wrong, I came to know about this information frm a not so reliable guy, hence i was clarifying !!

Thanks
Abhi
Old 3rd August 2007, 08:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The smaller cars only Rs.1K-2K.
Yes, My friend changed his Alto bumpers which cost Rs 1050 (inclusive of everything )

From the quote of Rudra Sir, my initial feeling was probably a zero less but then now it is really damn costly ?

Abhi
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Insurance will cover:
6,250 of 12500/- plus tax for bumper.
3000 of 3000/- for bumper painting.
5500 of 5500/- for tinkering and paint that dented part. Need to paint the whole boot.
2250 of 5500 for plastic impact beam

Total Covered by the insurance = Rs.17,000/- plus labour costs.
Total spent out of pocket = Rs.8,500
Is there any way we can get the Insurance company to pay for this entire amount without deductions? what happens normally is, we get only 75% (or lesser at times) of this by cheque, 15/30 days (or more) after the car is back from the garage. Of course, naturally, this applies only to the cases where the cashless-repair facility is not available.

Quote:
Total lost on NCB (no claim bonus) would be approximately Rs.10,000 (worst case) spread over the next 2 years. That is provided he does not have another reason to claim in those following years.

Does it mean he does not loose the entire NCB but only a part of it? If so, then that's not so bad...

Quote:
Insurance is there for a reason.
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Well, We all make mistakes.. sometime you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the other person.

The other day, a sumo rear ended my Baleno in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Lonavala. There was a Merc C Class in front of me !! Luckily it was an uphill incline and I had the hand brake on.. Though there was a loud noise, I didn't even bother to stop there to examine the damage in the middle of all that traffic. As it turned out, there was just a teeny weeny scratch on the bumper
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see Rudra catching the guy by the collar and forcing him to pay! the other driver is not legally required to pay anything.
Yeah but you could claim from HIS insurance (thats why he's covered for 3rrd party damage) - if it was his fault, then you dont lose no-claim-bonus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks