Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 06:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

For rain and a new bumper to buy

Seven pm last evening. Driving on Residency Road.
Raining, and I’m close to an intersection (Museum Road).
There is a Honda in front of me.
Both of us are about at 15km kind of speed.
Suddenly, a guy appears from nowhere and jumps in front of Honda.
Just to cross the road.
Honda slams the brake.
I do the same.

And I hear a big thud.
It comes from my back.
It shakes the car.
My indicator is on towards left, and I park the car to get down.
Only to see, my top part of bumper is cracked.

I go back and switch on hazard light.
A Toyota Innova with disfigured front comes and parks behind me.
With green coolant, dripping out profusely.
It’s radiator grill’s bottom part, bumper’s front, Toyota logo..gone inside.

A cute chubby little guy comes out of Toyota. Looks at his car. Looks at my car and tells me that it’s not his fault.

I know that. It is not his fault. It’s not my fault. It’s not Honda guy’s fault.

Toyota guy asks me what to do?

My answer: Don’t drive the car. Don’t worry about paying me. Call Toyota helpline.

I’m not going to ask for insurance. For a plastic bumper it’s too much of hassle.

I’m ordering a new bumper tomorrow. Asking them to keep it ready.
Friday, I’m booked for 20,000+km service anyway. Let them keep the car for a day extra. If need be.

I love Optra’s construction and sturdiness. No matter what people think.

Photos are from phone camera. Taken last night.
Old 2nd August 2007, 06:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Man, what a bummer. Thankfully the damage is little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Honda slams the brake.
I do the same.
A cute chubby little guy comes out of Toyota. Looks at his car. Looks at my car and tells me that it’s not his fault.

I know that. It is not his fault. It’s not my fault. It’s not Honda guy’s fault.
But the Innova driver is at fault. When Honda driver and you could stop in time, why couldn't he stop in time? He was not maintaining enough distance.
Old 2nd August 2007, 07:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the damage to the bumper and damage to the Toyota, I must say GM is really sturdy... It is not only GM but the physics of collision too went against the Toyota..

By laws of Physics, The body with higher velocity (eg Toyota here) will have to take the brunt in a collision

Had GM hit the Toyota from behind, the story would have been different..Toyota would have less effected as it is now...

In the end i must say that the Toyota fellow was not concentrating, he could have easily stopped no matter what is the distance, in slowing moving trafic everybody is at small distance between each other, in that case you have to concentrate harder...

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 2nd August 2007 at 07:10.
Old 2nd August 2007, 07:52   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Rudy, well I don't know what to say. All I can think of is when will she back to her gleaming self. Sundaram should be able to paint and fix the bumper in several hours and not take an extra day.

And the optra's build quality certainly has me in awe. Specially after looking at the damage done to the Innova. Any idea what speeds he might have been at?
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

abhijit took the words away from my mouth. toyota hit the stationary optra and hence all its shock absorbing features were triggered. and hence all those bumper, grill etc. shattering.

as for your optra, i think the jhatka will nonetheless be in several thousands. probably 6 thous or is it 7 to 8?
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Optra has solid plastic beam behind the bumpers to take this kind of impacts. I'm not really surprised with the result. Also I have no idea about Toyota's speed. It cannot be much because it didn't touch luggage boot or tail light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Sundaram should be able to paint and fix the bumper in several hours and not take an extra day.
No it'll take more than that. Car is going for 20000km+ service tomorrow. I'm ordering the bumper today so it should be ready by then.
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A classic cliche- some pics of the new bumpered Optra will ensure peace-of-mind to all of us.

Also, I never realized till now that Innova drivers were cute and chubby

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd August 2007 at 08:37.
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Sad to hear about that Rudra. Hope the car comes back to shape very soon. How much does an Optra bumper (without paint) cost?
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

A typical city incident, cannot really be called an accident. Happens all the time. I am surprised the innova only reached the optra's bumper & not the boot.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the car, Rudraji! I hope you'll get her back in her immaculate self in a day.

And you know what? The same thing happened to me yesterday evening (except the speeds were like 50kmph). My rear bumper is ok (scratches on paint), but the Mahindra Pickup that banged me from behind had something on it that had made a big dimple on my hatch door.

I saw the guy in front had no choice by to brake hard (I stopped about 2 feet from his backside), and the guy in the back couldn't much help my braking hard either. So no use in arguing, we all sympathised with each other and left.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

Rudraji, You sure no damage underneath. Same thing happened to my boss' cedia but with a 2 wheeler. Nothing happened to the bumper but it was so flexible that the inside metal got bent a little bit. To straighten it back and clip the bumper back on was Rs.2500. The bumper clips had also snapped.

Raindy days in bangalore and traffic always causes some incident. keeps happening to me.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ouch Rudra,

that must have hurt. If the bumper is cracked then fine, else you can get it heat treated and straightened and painted. never mind - knowing you you would have changed the bumper even if it was not cracked

Waiting to see pics of the car back to gleaming condition.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

A rainy day, tailgating which is very common on city roads, and pedestrians who dont know the basics of crossing a road. Add all these, and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.

Rudra, i appreciate the way you dealt with the episode. Will set you back by a few thousands, but the vehicle will be back as good as new.

Somehow, the only part i like about rainy days is to watch the traffic go by standing in my balcony. Hate to take the car out on such days unless its really important.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

That hurts! Especially for someone as anal about things as Rudra is. But, what can you say, this sort of stuff happens. Maybe you can buy yourself a new set of wheels as a get well soon present for the Optra eh!
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

A common incident in City! Most of the times, it is Two wheelers who ram from behind as result of Sudden brake.

Rudra, why are you not claiming Insurance?
Insurance will pay 50% of Bumper cost + Painting chgs + Labour chgs, so you pay only 50% of Bumper cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks