Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 20:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I dont think punjab has a "challan by post" concept that is why these things happen and these cops also take undue risk with someone like this person.

They should move to "challan by post" instead of court payments, that way you still fine a person but without risking your life.
in addition we need an annual renewal with expiration sticker on the plate. and when renewing, all previous challans shud be paid with penalties.

But, the whole process shud be made simple enough not to trouble honest public.
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

They should use some kind of long stick or barrier to stop vehicles..instead of throwing their bodies in front of you.
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

I do not know about Chandigarh but in Hyderabad this is a regular problem, particularly with the bikers. I see it happen everyday. The traffic cops try to stop them, with their arms spread out and these bikers try to wiggle away. Now the police have stopped trying but note down the number and send a challan home.

I do not understand why they do this. Lot of bikers have suffered bike accidents in the past because of this. But the practice of the cops throwing themselves in front of such rogue vehicles is also stupid. They should note down the nos. and then fix them up with a stiff challan.
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:36   #19
BHPian

I have a different point of view:

If 10 - 12 cops are getting hospitalized trying to stop vehicles, I think is high time they figured out a better way to flag down a vehicle than a constable jumping in front of a speeding car/bike.
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
They should use some kind of long stick or barrier to stop vehicles..instead of throwing their bodies in front of you.
That would throw bikers off their vehicles infront of speeding buses
And then when enough people die we would have a thread about how traffic cops can be so inhuman for smacking speeding biker with a pole and killing him all for 100 bucks.
Old 3rd August 2007, 23:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think Cops think all cars have ( PAWER BREAK - READ POWER BRAKE )

LOL - Or some Cops might think all modern cars have ABS so ok, I might as well fling myself in front of the car. ''Yeh aaya main, rok saale !!! ''
Old 4th August 2007, 01:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Friday, August 03, 2007: An attempt-to-murder case was slapped on a driver here after he drove away with a traffic constable - who was trying to stop him - on the bonnet of his vehicle.

The traffic constable, Sarat Singh, escaped with minor injuries but not before the errant driver drove him for nearly two kilometres and stopped only after his Tata Safari sports utility vehicle (SUV) banged against a Ford Ikon car.

The unidentified driver, with registration number PB 32-G-0020 registered in Nawanshahr town in Punjab, 75 km from here, fled after hitting the car even as the constable fell on the road.

The Safari was signalled to stop by traffic policemen at Sectors 19 and 27 as it had dark black film on the windows - not allowed in Chandigarh and Punjab.

Deputy Superintendent of Police Devinder Singh Thakur said efforts were on to trace the vehicle and its driver.

"The helpless constable could have died. This driver has gone too far. He has got a mere traffic offence converted into an attempt-to-murder case," Thakur said.

In the last one year, nearly a dozen city traffic police constables have been injured by motorists who refused to stop despite committing traffic offences. Most of these traffic constables landed up in hospital after being injured by motorists.

Chandigarh has over 600,000 vehicles for a population of just 1 million in a 114 sq km area.
Sounds crazy. avoiding a puddle & falling into a pit.

@dadu.... Please quote from where this was taken.
Old 4th August 2007, 02:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Serves the idiot right for being so stupid. How tough is it to note the number down and send home a notice of sorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
High time our traffic cops were armed with revolvers. They can shoot the tyres off these kinds of lunatics.
That's all we need, idiot cowboys armed with death warrants.
Old 4th August 2007, 02:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

The regular pot-bellied cops won't be able to shoot at the tires..By the time they sit down and use their bellies as an arm rest (so that they get a good shot), the culprit would have gone far far away..

Only way out- enforce that all information is upto date on all vehicles. Make info as current as possible, and use that to track those who violate traffic rules.. The Traffic Police should be able to issue tickets and collect fines if this is monitored very strictly.
Old 4th August 2007, 06:52   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sounds crazy. avoiding a puddle & falling into a pit.

Here is the news item
Chandigarh motorist drives away with traffic cop on bonnet - Yahoo! India News
Old 4th August 2007, 09:55   #26
BHPian

Mods, please shift it if it’s out of place

The best Road Hog award

This thread reinforces what I say. All of us have come across them. They are the kings of the road and it shows in the way they drive – scant regard for road rules, absolutely callous about the safety of other road users and to cap it all, cheekiness to point an accusing finger at you if something untoward happened. You had the occasion to drive behind them and probably the misfortune to get a taste of their impeccable road manners. These mentally challenged relatives of the bovine clan take their idiosyncrasies to such a sublime height that you are constantly kept guessing, eternally alert about the impending manoeuvre. Without them, driving would be sheer monotony. The best of them make our driving skills perfect. It is high time we paid our tribute to the imbecile who makes our lives so enriching and exciting. So, I have a proposal to make. We award him (should we include her?) the Dreaded Road Hog of the Year (DROHY) title. If each one of us, who had an opportunity to rub shoulders with one of those retards, can relate the incident here, we could make a poll and choose the best one of them. Of course, it would be difficult to personally hand over the award to the DROHY (he might be untraceable after the incident), we can, on behalf of the RH, give it to the best narrator for recording the incident for the posterity. Brevity and punch of narration could be one criterion for selection, apart from ingenuity of the RH. If the mods agree to my proposal, I’ll start the narration with an experience I had (I am sure this one would look trivial compared to what some you might have up your sleeves). Here it is.
It happened a few years back. One morning, I was riding my bike to office and since I was a bit late, I was in a hurry. I must have been driving at about 40-45 kph and the road (it’s a small town) was not particularly crowded. I saw this RH, a middle aged one, riding his bicycle on the left side of the road. When I was about to go past him, I saw him beginning to take a right turn (no intersection there, so I thought he was taking a right U-turn) and steered by bike to the left. Actually, he was taking a left U-turn and was preparing for it by going a bit to the middle of the road, all this without any signal. I slammed the brake, but it was too late. I hit him and both fell down. Nothing serious to him or his cycle, but my bike and I dragged on the road for some distance and in that process I lost a few square inches of my skin at several places on my body. The bike was a Suzuki (they make it tough) and the damages were minor and confined to plastic and mirror. I shouted something to him and headed home straight, to the bewilderment of my wife, who was aghast to see her husband - all blood and tattered clothes. That incident taught me a lesson. Never underestimate an RH and try to guess what he is going to do; he is always one step ahead of you. Over you, mods.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th August 2007 at 03:14. Reason: [tags] removed
Old 4th August 2007, 12:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
in.msn.com , if you use google search with the same subject you will find many dailies reporting this.
Old 4th August 2007, 13:33   #28
BHPian

He should be taken on a "drag race" by Punjab cops, hanging upside down from behind his Safari.
Old 4th August 2007, 15:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks dadu for the source

SICK is the word that comes to mind when someone does something like that. I really feel sorry for the people who said he is a stupid cop * he should have done this or done that, grow up fellas.
Old 4th August 2007, 21:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I said that, and I've had horrible experiences with cops trying to extort money for the slightest thing. And I'll say it again if you want.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks