Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 10:31   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I do not know about Chandigarh but in Hyderabad this is a regular problem, particularly with the bikers. I see it happen everyday. The traffic cops try to stop them, with their arms spread out and these bikers try to wiggle away. Now the police have stopped trying but note down the number and send a challan home.
Zappo, I remember the case where a biker who was a college going student was rendered blind in one eye when a traffic cop tried to signal him to stop for not wearing a helmet. In the process of the guy trying to flee, the cop swung his lathi which hit the biker in the eye. There was a big hue and cry over this. Area was Mehdipatnam, if i remember right.

There was another incident where something of a similar sort happened in Lakdi-ka-pul, and the helmetless biker went and smashed into a roadside divider splitting his head and consequently died.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Cop on SUV bonnet case: Driver found

Chandigarh: After hoodwinking the Chandigarh police for two days over the scary episode of driving a sports utility vehicle (SUV) through city streets with a traffic cop precariously lying on its bonnet, a local college student has "admitted" that he was the driver.

Kranti Saini, a second year arts student at the DAV College in Sector 10 here, told his police interrogators that he was the one who drove the Tata Safari around with traffic constable Sarat Ram perched on the bonnet of his vehicle.

The police had registered an attempt-to-murder case along with the charge of obstructing a police official from discharging his duty against the traffic offender following the incident.

The attempt-to-murder charge was slapped on him, considering the gravity of the incident in which the traffic constable could have lost his life.

Saini had earlier tried to misguide the Chandigarh police saying that though the vehicle belonged to him, he was not at the wheel when the incident took place late on Thursday.

He blamed his friend Saddiq, also a student of the same college who is still at large, for hitting the traffic policeman and driving away with him.

The SUV, registered in Nawanshahr town of Punjab, hit the traffic cop after he signalled it to stop for traffic violations.

Its driver was talking on a mobile phone while driving and was not wearing the seat belt. He tried to speed away when signalled to stop. Sarat Ram fell on the bonnet of the vehicle as it hit him. The driver drove around with the traffic policeman on the bonnet for over two kilometres.

Ram finally fell from the SUV after it hit another car near the Khalsa College in Sector 26. The Safari sped away after this accident too.

The Chandigarh police, looking for the vehicle, finally found it abandoned at Mohali town, 10 km from here, on Friday. The offender had abandoned the vehicle to hoodwink the police after getting a complaint lodged in Ropar town, 45 km from here, that it had been stolen.

However, the police identified the vehicle owner, an educationist in Ropar town, and arrested his son Kranti.
The police tried to catch Saddiq by getting Saini to call him but he evaded them after hitting a police vehicle with his expensive Skoda car in Sector 11 here on Friday night.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Oh, so the errant driver has been caught. Now, without emotions running high, can we have a discussion on the kind of exemplary punishment that should be accorded to him?

Also his friend the Skoda driver who escaped after hitting a cop vehicle, should be punished with what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Chandigarh: After hoodwinking the Chandigarh police for two days over the scary episode of driving a sports utility vehicle (SUV) through city streets with a traffic cop precariously lying on its bonnet, a local college student has "admitted" that he was the driver.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:57   #34
Team-BHP Support

Good, now this is where the story gets interesting. Both he and his friend should be punished in such a way that they realize the value of human life.
Old 6th August 2007, 14:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

These youngsters have the guts to evade arrest by faking a car theft and look at the other, banging into a police vehicle.

They are potential gangsters for tomorrow, they should be given RI and max prison time possible under such conditions.
Old 6th August 2007, 14:44   #36
BHPian

I studied at DAV college chandigarh in my class 11 and 12th and to tell you the truth.. There are a lot of rich farm owners offsprings there with big cars and they dont care about any rules... Its not new that I am hearing this... So many such incidents used to happen there... Most of these guys have multiple licenses and at times they used to just give their license to the policeman and leave ..
Old 6th August 2007, 14:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Read in the newspaper today about a petrol pump attendant who tried to stop a guy from driving away without paying for the fuel...the attendant was hanging from the window for sometime then he fell on the road and got hit by another car.
Kudos to this guy ,he tried to get hold of that stupid driver without fearing for his life ,fortunately somebody snapped a pic of that car (with the attendant hanging on for dear life) so the cops arrested the owner as the reg. no. was visible in the pic.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:56   #38
BHPian

[quote=gd1418;523146]Now, without emotions running high, can we have a discussion on the kind of exemplary punishment that should be accorded to him?/quote]

I am personally in favour of corporal punishments for serious crimes such as this (attempt to murder a police officer ). It acts as a severe deterrent to others attempting the same. The current system of punishment through jail terms does not seem to work as a sufficient deterrent in India or anywhere else for that matter.

However that said, the court system through which someone is found guilty or not should be fair and based on evidence.

OT: Recently there was an incident in Mumbai where a group of boys were eve-teasing a 10 year old girl and ran over her in a jeep. I was surprised that they were not charged for "attempt to murder", but leniently charged just for "eve-teasing".
Old 21st July 2009, 14:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Something similar happened in Pune on Sunday.
Quote:

Fleeing fine, 65-year-old drives cop on car bonnet
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Pune: Traffic policeman V B Jadhav literally had the ride of his life — and a heart-stopping one at that — after he hung on to the bonnet of a car driven at top speed by a 65-year-old Canada-based NRI, who was trying to escape being fined for wrong parking on M G Road on Sunday morning.
In the chase that ensued through the streets of the Pune cantonment, the car had passersby running helter-skelter even as a couple on a motorcycle was knocked down, sustaining grievous injuries. It took six bullets from a senior police official to finally bring the car to a halt. The belligerent driver, Kamal Jain, has been arrested.
It all started around 11 am when assistant sub-inspector Jadhav saw a Ford Ikon in a no-parking zone near Hotel Aurora Towers. “I got down from my vehicle and was about to put a jammer on the front wheel of the car. Just then, an elderly man
ran towards the car, got in behind the wheel and started the vehicle. Before I could even talk to him, he tried to run me over,” said Jadhav. FLEEING FINE 65-yr-old drives cop on car bonnet
A startled Jadhav, in an attempt to save his life, leapt on to the bonnet of the car and held on to the wipers. “But Jain drove off at full speed. From M G road, he turned left and drove towards Nehru Memorial Hall on the busy Ambedkar road. He took a U-turn here and drove till Dorabjee chowk, from where he turned left to Blue Nile restaurant. All along, I kept telling him to stop the car, but he hurled abuses at me,” he said.
It was near Blue Nile restaurant that the car knocked down the couple on the motorcycle. The car then turned right towards Iskcon. “I was slowly losing my grip on the wipers as Jain was making all efforts to shake me off,” said Jadhav. “Just then, I saw a police car chasing Jain’s car. Meanwhile, Jain hit another two-wheeler. I heard some shots being fired and the car stopped. I fell down on the road.”
The shots were fired by deputy commissioner of police (special branch) Ravindra Sengaonkar, who was on security duty as both vice-president Hamid Ansari and BJP chief L K Advani were in the city on Sunday. Sengaonkar was returning to the police commissionerate after checking the security arrangements at the Old Circuit House when he saw Jadhav on the bonnet of Jain’s car. He told his driver to give chase.
“While chasing the car, I saw the couple on the motorcycle lying on the road with blood all around them,” Sengaonkar told TOI. “Jain was swerving his car from left to right in a bid to shake off Jadhav. I put on the siren of my car, but Jain seemed in no mood to stop. I then decided to open fire. I first aimed two bullets from my service revolver at the tyres of car. I again opened four rounds near the Teen Tof chowk, which brought the car to a halt. Jadhav fell on the road and we nabbed Jain. Many people gathered at the spot. Some of them had come chasing the car from M G Road and were in a mood to thrash Jain.”
Jain, a resident of Nyati Highland at Mohammedwadi, told the police that he has been residing in Pune since the last 12 years and works as an advisor for a private telecom company. He has an office at Shivajinagar.
Joint commissioner of police Rajendra Sonawane said the incident was reported to director general of police S S Virk. Later, Virk announced the director-general’s insignia for both Sengaonkar and Jadhav.
Meanwhile, the couple on the motorcycle, Satish Kanwalkar (42) and his wife, Neelima (40), of Bhosari, who were knocked down by Jain, have been admitted to a private hospital. Jadhav sustained minor injuries and was discharged from hospital after treatment.
Jain has been booked under sections 307 (attempt to murder), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty), 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others).

News Chandigarh motorist drives away with traffic cop on bonnet EDIT Now in Pune-1.jpg

Kamal Jain (standing) being questioned by joint commissioner Rajendra Sonavane (left) and deputy commissioner Ravindra Sengaonkar on Sunday. (Inset) the injured cop V.B. Jadhav

News Chandigarh motorist drives away with traffic cop on bonnet EDIT Now in Pune-2.jpg

Source

Source 2 with illustrations
Old 21st July 2009, 15:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Damn!! That was so filmy!
Wish the unlucky couple on the motorcycle a speedy recovery.
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What the hell? How can someone turn something so minor into this? Running over policemen and knocking down bikers to evade a parking fine? Hope punishment is given out with force here.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

From the title of this thread

Quote:
News Chandigarh motorist drives away with traffic cop on bonnet EDIT Now in Pune
I assumed that the traffic cop was on the bonnet all the way from Chandigarh to Pune!

(couldn't resist that!)

Most Viewed