Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2007, 10:18   #1
BHPian

The best Road Hog award

Mods, please shift it if it's out of place

The best Road Hog award

All of us have come across them. They are the kings of the road and it shows in the way they drive - scant regard for road rules, absolutely callous about the safety of other road users and to cap it all, cheekiness to point an accusing finger at you if something untoward happened. You had the occasion to drive behind them and probably the misfortune to get a taste of their impeccable road manners. These mentally challenged relatives of the bovine clan take their idiosyncrasies to such a sublime height that you are constantly kept guessing, eternally alert about the impending manoeuvre. Without them, driving would be sheer monotony. The best of them make our driving skills perfect. It is high time we paid our tribute to the imbecile who makes our lives so enriching and exciting. So, I have a proposal to make. We award him (should we include her?) the Dreaded Road Hog of the Year (DROHY) title. If each one of us, who had an opportunity to rub shoulders with one of those retards, can relate the incident here, we could make a poll and choose the best one of them. Of course, it would be difficult to personally hand over the award to the DROHY (he might be untraceable after the incident), we can, on behalf of the RH, give it to the best narrator for recording the incident for the posterity. Brevity and punch of narration could be one criterion for selection, apart from ingenuity of the RH. If the mods agree to my proposal, I'll start the narration with an experience I had (I am sure this one would look trivial compared to what some you might have up your sleeves). Here it is.
It happened a few years back. One morning, I was riding my bike to office and since I was a bit late, I was in a hurry. I must have been driving at about 40-45 kph and the road (it's a small town) was not particularly crowded. I saw this RH, a middle aged one, riding his bicycle on the left side of the road. When I was about to go past him, I saw him beginning to take a right turn (no intersection there, so I thought he was taking a right U-turn) and steered by bike to the left. Actually, he was taking a left U-turn and was preparing for it by going a bit to the middle of the road, all this without any signal. I slammed the brake, but it was too late. I hit him and both fell down. Nothing serious to him or his cycle, but my bike and I dragged on the road for some distance and in that process I lost a few square inches of my skin at several places on my body. The bike was a Suzuki (they make it tough) and the damages were minor and confined to plastic and mirror. I shouted something to him and headed home straight, to the bewilderment of my wife, who was aghast to see her husband - all blood and tattered clothes. That incident taught me a lesson. Never underestimate an RH and try to guess what he is going to do; he is always one step ahead of you. Over you, mods.
Old 4th August 2007, 13:11   #2
BHPian

Looks like its gotta go into street experiences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks