Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 11:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Outer Ring Roads

I read today that Hyderabad is building an Outer Ring Road (OTR), which is happening in most large Indian cities too -Bangalore, Chennai, etc.

What is the real status of this road - the newsreport says that 22 kms will be commissioned shortly. Any news on what the alignment will be, and how the highway bypass structures will be (where it will start, where will be the turn offs to various highways NH9(west), NH9 (east), NH7(north),NH7 (south), Srisailam Road, etc).

Is the Bangalore OTR complete in all respects?

And what about the Chennai Bypass (equivalent to OTR) ? I have seen the turn offs at Madhavaram (NH5 North), and the junctions with NH4 (Mogapair),but is the road now complete between NH5, NH4, NH45 and ECR?

In Delhi, North-bound traffic (for NH1) takes the OTR through Dhaula Khan, but is this passage well-marked for those coming in from NH8 (Jaipur side) - NH2 travellers can take the Sarai Kalai Khan and ISBT route to reach NH1 after Azadpur - and are there good linkages to the NH (10?) to Rohtak?

For Kolkata, from Dum Dum, the Salt Lake (expressway) can take you to NH3, but can this route be well-defined for those not familiar with Kolkata roads so that they can make an easy exit. For those coming on NH2, the end of the Durgapur expressway blends into teh Kon expressway and the drive into NH3 is a simple affair.

Mumbai area is also very simple although there is no concept of a bypass or a ring road - that will happen once the Kalamboli-Taloja-Mumbra-Kalwa road is improved (is anthing going on?) which will help travel easily from NH4/NH17 to NH3/NH8.

Info on City bypasses/OTR on the above cities and other cities in India will be useful for motoring buffs who wish to escape traffic congestion in the city centre and also navigate without losing their way.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

My Take on bangalore and Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Is the Bangalore OTR complete in all respects?
Bangalore RR (excluding the NICE corridor)

Arm1: Hebbal Flyover - KR puram
from Hyd NH7 you reach Hebbal Flyover, Left turn takes you to NH4/7 at Krishnarajapuram bridge (people going to NH4 East should take the bridge and for NH7 people shouldnot take it, For NH4 towards North Karnataka, take right)

Arm2: Krpuram - Silk Board JUnction
that left road will take you past KRpuram RS and then there is another flyover starting, take that for NH7 (everything is marked well)
The above road meets NH7 at Silk Board Junction, take left you are on to Hosur, Krishnagiri

Arm3: SB junction - Mysore Road
GO straight will take you to Banashankari towards Mysore Road, it ends up as T junction at Mysore Road...

Arm4: Mysore Road - Tumkur Road
Take left from there, after 5-6kms, you have to take a right turn to meet the other side of the ring road which will take you to NH4 (Tumkur Road)

Arm5: Tumkur Road - Hebbal Flyover
At NH4 junction take right and the first left (dont remember but marks are there??), thats the last ring road which will lead you to the Hebbal Flyover

Hope I could explain the circle

Quote:
For Kolkata, from Dum Dum, the Salt Lake (expressway) can take you to NH3, but can this route be well-defined for those not familiar with Kolkata roads so that they can make an easy exit. For those coming on NH2, the end of the Durgapur expressway blends into teh Kon expressway and the drive into NH3 is a simple affair.
i think you meant NH34 ,

Now if you are coming from NH34 and entering Kolkata, at Airport T-junction take the left (which is called VIP Road) which will take you to Ultadanga, before entering the Ultadanga bridge there is a left turn for SaltLake/EM BP, take that, it will take you to Science City, take the right turn from there will lead you to AJC Bose Flyover and finally onto Kona Exressway via Vidyasagar Setu

My suggession people who intend to go to South (say Kharagpur, Puri etc) from NorthEast (say Malda, Darjeeling, Shillong) should Bypass Kolkata and avoid NH34...

There is a beautiful marked right turn at Moregram, take that, Moregram - Takipur - Rampurhat - Suri - Ilambazar - Darjeeling More (here this beautiful SH meets Nh2 GQ, right turn 20km Durgapur, left turn is Panagarh, Barddhaman, Kolkata), you can take the bishnupur route or the faster NH2 and then the Dankuni BP to NH60...
In this SH, Moregram - DarjeelingMore is about 150km and can done in 2.5 hours easily.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 6th August 2007 at 12:37.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

i think you meant NH34 ,

Now if you are coming from NH34 and entering Kolkata, at Airport T-junction take the left (which is called VIP Road) which will take you to Ultadanga, before entering the Ultadanga bridge there is a left turn for SaltLake/EM BP, take that, it will take you to Science City, take the right turn from there will lead you to AJC Bose Flyover and finally onto Kona Exressway via Vidyasagar Setu

Abhi
Thanks for the detailed guidance, Abhi.

The problem with the Bangalore OTR is that it is not a continuous circle (especially Banasankari, Mysore-Peenya link), and I have not seen any good markings in the South-East corridor which has been around for a longer time.

You are right about NH34 but what I meant was the NH3 (Kolkata-Kharagpur) which you reach after you cross the Vidyasagar Setu and take Kon Expressway. I remember driving through the Salt Lake VIP Road, but the only markings were of city localities and no traveller info. It is a different matter that I had to go to Rash Behari Avenue, but I found that for a traveller, markings were poor. By any chance, are the places that you mention also mentioned in the sign boards? Maybe you can help us by pinpointing the actual turn off points.
Old 6th August 2007, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Only problem with Outer ring road is that they will become Inner ring roads in a few years time.. such is the plan (if any) for the growth of our cities. They don't plan for 20 years down the line..

Hyderabad already has a so called ring road.. But don't know its current state.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Only problem with Outer ring road is that they will become Inner ring roads in a few years time.. such is the plan (if any) for the growth of our cities. They don't plan for 20 years down the line..
You are right. The ORR of Bangalore is already 50% Inner Ring Road..Now Govt has planned a big Pheripheral Ring Road of about 200km surrounding Bangalore, Lets see when it completes !!

Abhi
Old 6th August 2007, 16:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

And lookout for the suspension breakers a.k.a. speed breakers on the ORR.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And lookout for the suspension breakers a.k.a. speed breakers on the ORR.
Amitoj, they were a lot worser before the roads were re-tarred. Now, they are more bearable. I remember the one on ORR near Belandur which was a mini mountain.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats good explaination Abhi.

I would like to add further information on Bangalore Ring road between Arm4 (Mysore road - tumkur road) and Arm5 (tumkur road - hebbal flyover) mentioned by Abhi.

To connect these 2 arms new road is coming soon. 40% work is done which goes via Nagarbhavi. This new road starts from Magadi road - Ring road junction and supposed to join Mysore road - Banashankari ring road junction (arm 4).Right now only issue is land acquisition near Mysore road hopefully they have sorted it out by now. I can see road work going from Magadi road to nagarbhavi circle. From nagarbhavi circle to mysore road its around 3 km I guess not sure if land is available for governmenet to build this road. If they do it it would be really great we can save lot of time and distance as well.

Work pregress is really slow already deadline is revised twice I feel. Once this is done in Arm4 we can go straight to reach magadi road and then go straight again to reach tumkur road at arm5.

Regards

Ravi.
Old 6th August 2007, 17:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I would like to add further information on Bangalore Ring road between Arm4 (Mysore road - tumkur road) and Arm5 (tumkur road - hebbal flyover) mentioned by Abhi.

To connect these 2 arms new road is coming soon. 40% work is done which goes via Nagarbhavi. This new road starts from Magadi road - Ring road junction and supposed to join Mysore road - Banashankari ring road junction (arm 4).Right now only issue is land acquisition near Mysore road hopefully they have sorted it out by now. I can see road work going from Magadi road to nagarbhavi circle. From nagarbhavi circle to mysore road its around 3 km I guess not sure if land is available for governmenet to build this road. If they do it it would be really great we can save lot of time and distance as well.

Work pregress is really slow already deadline is revised twice I feel. Once this is done in Arm4 we can go straight to reach magadi road and then go straight again to reach tumkur road at arm5.

Regards

Ravi.
That will be great because the current alignment gets interrupted on Mysore Road and there is confusion as to where to go from there. Plus, the sign boards do not give any inspiration. For example, if someone is cpoming from Hosur and reaches Mysore road junction, he will not know wheher to go left or right (actually, he can do both, the right taking him through Chord Road, left to the OTR), and there is no sign board indicating the destinations on NH4.
Old 6th August 2007, 18:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Agreed Kumar I hope they complete this stretch very soon.

One more information If we come from Hosur road once we reach mysore road T junction we can take left and go straight in mysore road in rajarajeshwari nagar signal and then within 500 mtrs we can take right turn to enter Jnanabharati University campus which leads to ring road connecting Tumkur road.

At present this is the way most of cars/SUV/Bikes travel while reaching tumkur road from Banashankari ring road (while coming from hosur road). Legally Trucks are not allowed inside university campus.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th August 2007, 19:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post

Hyderabad already has a so called ring road.. But don't know its current state.
Oops 20 years down the line- Should I take it with facevalue? Then the Outer Ring roads have to be really around the district boundaries!

Let them build the ring roads 'just-outer' of the city crowd, and once that become 'inner' we will get the next outer ring roads. This is how city planing works across the globe.
Old 8th August 2007, 20:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think you meant NH34 ,

My suggession people who intend to go to South (say Kharagpur, Puri etc) from NorthEast (say Malda, Darjeeling, Shillong) should Bypass Kolkata and avoid NH34...

There is a beautiful marked right turn at Moregram, take that, Moregram - Takipur - Rampurhat - Suri - Ilambazar - Darjeeling More (here this beautiful SH meets Nh2 GQ, right turn 20km Durgapur, left turn is Panagarh, Barddhaman, Kolkata), you can take the bishnupur route or the faster NH2 and then the Dankuni BP to NH60...
In this SH, Moregram - DarjeelingMore is about 150km and can done in 2.5 hours easily.

Abhi
NH6 you mean! But as he mentioned there is no route the encircles Kolkata totally. Kolkata itself is so small that it doesn't take much to criss-cross it, but then for an outsider its very difficult. However, Kolkata isn't a go-thru destination to any place. Which explains the sorry state of affiars of the NH34 etc.
Old 8th August 2007, 21:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
NH6 you mean! But as he mentioned there is no route the encircles Kolkata totally. Kolkata itself is so small that it doesn't take much to criss-cross it, but then for an outsider its very difficult. However, Kolkata isn't a go-thru destination to any place. Which explains the sorry state of affiars of the NH34 etc.
Unless you want to go to NH34, you don't have to enter Kolkata City at all. NH6 merges into NH2 (Kon Expressway to Durgapur Expressway), and as Abhi said even going to NOrth Bengal can be accomplished by taking NH2 and going via Moregaon.

But travelling through Kolkata can be quite simple - for both routes, take the Iswarsagar Bridge, turn off towards Alipur if you want to go to Diamond Harbour, but along Chittaranjan if you want to go to Dum DUm and NH34. Or the Science City Route mentioned by Abhi. Happily, I found the city sign boards quite informative, but they do not mention other cities (only Kolkata localities are mentioned), hence you will need a map to go through - which is what I did during one of my trips, and that too in peak hour traffic!
Old 9th August 2007, 05:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I read today that Hyderabad is building an Outer Ring Road (OTR), which is happening in most large Indian cities too -Bangalore, Chennai, etc.
Hyderabad Growth Corridor | Outer Ring Road Project | Envisioning The Future

This link has two nice videos of the layout
Hyderabad Growth Corridor | Outer Ring Road Project | Envisioning The Future \ Video & Maps
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:02   #15
BANNED

. The roads you have mentioned are already part of city ! In fact city roads are less dense than the ring roads.
BTW, is NICE road in Bangalore also part of peripheral ring roads?
Quote:
You are right. The ORR of Bangalore is already 50% Inner Ring Road..Now Govt has planned a big Pheripheral Ring Road of about 200km surrounding Bangalore, Lets see when it completes !!
Abhi
Quote:
Arm1: Hebbal Flyover - KR puram
Arm2: Krpuram - Silk Board JUnction
Arm3: SB junction - Mysore Road
Arm4: Mysore Road - Tumkur Road
Arm5: Tumkur Road - Hebbal Flyover

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks