Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Caught off guard!! Know someone well, but don't know the name ?

Have you ever had this situation where you know somebody well (ie. have met, talked/interacted many times), but don't know his/her name ? Happened to me and found out that it could be real embarassing. Reason for posting here was that tbhp is involved in this story and in a way could be blamed for my not knowing the name - need a scapegoat, right ?

Anyway, this is how it happened. I am in Tokyo for a few weeks on work and yesterday morning when I go to the hotel restaurant for breakfast, I bump into a Indian at the buffet. Given my nature (read as not very outgoing or eager to make new friends), I would have normally not even acknowledged the person's presence at all (unless it was the fairer sex, in which case, ok leave it, wifey could read this). But this time I could not avoid it as we just happened to be reaching out for the same dish.

So, I smile, hoping that he would stop at a courtesy smile and I can go my way. But no, he smiles and says in Tamil, "You from India?". First thought that comes to me is, "OK, I know I dont look like a North Indian, so nothing wrong in assuming me to be South Indian, but how come he assumed that I am Tamil ? I don't really look Tamil. Infact I dont even have the stereotype Mallu look, like for eg. our Benny boy. You look at him and you dont even have to double guess before you can bet your last shirt that he is Mallu.

No offense, bensb. Infact, if somebody told me that I look Mallu, I would take it as a compliment.

Anyway, then I think, OK, he might be knowing only Tamil and so used Tamil. Ofcourse I found later that he is a Mallu, born and brought up in Chennai, hence the Tamil. God, is there no place you can be in peace without these wandering Mallus ?

He could still have used English, right ? Anyway, who cares about languages. As long as he did not talk in Japanese, I am fine. OK, so as Indians do, we exchange notes - where we work, how long here, where in Chennai and stuff.

And then he says he works for Amex at Chennai. I am like, "Where's the office?". When he says, "Spencers Plaza", I say, "Hey, I know someone there". And then he asks me the name. I almost say, "slipstream", before I realise that it is his tbhp nickname. And I am racking my brains for his actual name, but ofcourse I dont know it. So what help is it going to do even if I pound my brains with a sledge hammer?

I am like, "OK, the name is.... wait a minute..... it is..... ". Finally, I tell him that the name is right there at the tip of my tongue, but not able to get it. And that will tell him later.

First thing I did after coming to office was PM slipstream for his name. I am still waiting, slip. Respond.

It was surely embarassing. But do we have a solution ? There are so many of us on the forum (13000) and of these, we interact with many online. And of them, many we meet at tbhp-meets and still dont know the names. I have met so many tbhp-ians (Chennai and Blore), but dont know the names of the majority. Anyway, should start with knowing the names of atleast the Chennai guys, for starters.

Why the heck can't you guys have a nick same as your name, say "jkdas" or madan80 or n_aditya or navin etc, instead of stupid junk like supremeBaleno for instance ?
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

OK, Slipstream = Jaykanth or Jaikanth.

You should cut down on the beers & smokes you are having. Helps the grey cells.(Sounds like someone gave me this advice). he he he
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

It is bound to happen when most of us here have nick-names or strange ids as T-bhp ID, and for the same precise reason I had suggested Mods long time back to request all Bhpians to put their real names, place and Car models they own in their signature, but sadly there were no takers for this idea.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

That's an embarassing experience all right supreeeeeemebalenoooo. Uhh... biju. The only way we can remember the real names instead of just the alias is by having regular meets which sadly happens only once in a bluemoon. But IMHO that is changing now thanks to the trackdays, more members are coming to the tracks and meeting each other.
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
OK, Slipstream = Jaykanth or Jaikanth.
Thanks, john (see I know your name ). I had an inkling that it was something to do with "Jay" because I have heard people referring to him as "jay" either on the forum or in person. But was not sure what the full name was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
You should cut down on the beers & smokes you are having. Helps the grey cells.(Sounds like someone gave me this advice). he he he
Hmm. Actually, as I type this, I am having my first beer in Japan, since I landed on Sunday. See, I have improved. Last time, I was downing them daily. Ok, to be frank, I would have done the same this time too, but was overloaded with work and did not get time for food, forget beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
I had suggested Mods long time back to request all Bhpians to put their real names, place and Car models they own in their signature, but sadly there were no takers for this idea.
Well, I see your point, finney, but you know everyone's not like us - they might value their privacy. So, mods are helpless in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
That's an embarassing experience all right supreeeeeemebalenoooo. Uhh... biju. The only way we can remember the real names instead of just the alias is by having regular meets which sadly happens only once in a bluemoon. But IMHO that is changing now thanks to the trackdays, more members are coming to the tracks and meeting each other.
More than having regular meets, we should have an agenda for the meet, which should by default include a intro session. Ofcourse we should have it earlier on in the day before everyone gets drunk and starts blabbering. OK, this does not apply to chennai guys, because only few drink and those that drink are really responsible drinkers, who love their cars and would not do drunken driving. What say, chennai tbhp-ians ?

P.S. : I do remember reading a post here many moons ago by a chennai tbhp-ian (hint - owns an Esteem) that they discussed various ways to have effective meets over many beers/pegs and which would be put into effect from next meet. Atleast couple of meets have gone by since then and we are still waiting.
And if you still did not get the person, its a green Esteem.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:00   #6
BHPian

Guess this should help. We already have a thread on this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...eal-names.html
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
P.S. : I do remember reading a post here many moons ago by a chennai tbhp-ian (hint - owns an Esteem) that they discussed various ways to have effective meets over many beers/pegs and which would be put into effect from next meet. Atleast couple of meets have gone by since then and we are still waiting.
And if you still did not get the person, its a green Esteem.
The wings have come off this esteem owner these days. I am still recuperating from some severe back/shoulder/arm pains. (Damn, it sounds like a 'lame' excuse) Right now my right arm hurts like hell, but still don't want to be out of touch here. Will do the above very soon biju. when are you back ?
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:46   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
for the same precise reason I had suggested Mods long time back to request all Bhpians to put their real names, place and Car models they own in their signature, but sadly there were no takers for this idea.
For the same reason we request all the members to make it to the meets. Since some are totally different in person and behind the screens. Sadly, there are not many takers including yourself. So finney, not everyone listens to us. Thats life.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Should be there on sep 9th midnight.
You okay, john ? Whats with the back pain and all ? Hope you did not ditch the Esteem and started biking ?
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

I should be ok for saturday, i guess, planning something for that day. Yeah, i am down for a week now with these pains. (Sure signs of getting old & wise).

We are planning a major drive/meet for the 1st week pulicat side, maybe postpone that to 2nd week. read this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-please-3.html

you already read that, good.
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

I only address TBHPians by their handle at TBHP. Easier for me
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why the heck can't you guys have a nick same as your name, say "jkdas" or madan80 or n_aditya or navin etc, instead of stupid junk like supremeBaleno for instance ?
How do you know those are their real names, huh ??
Old 24th August 2007, 09:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

I faced an embarassing situ once - I rang Samurai on his mobile and his wife took the phone and I said,

"Can I speak to , um ,...ah .,,um....well I know him as Samurai!"

Luckily, his wife knew him as that also!
Old 24th August 2007, 09:31   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Luckily, his wife knew him as that also!
At least my wife doesn't call me with my TBHP handle, I know yours does.
Old 24th August 2007, 09:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Infact I dont even have the stereotype Mallu look, like for eg. our Benny boy. You look at him and you dont even have to double guess before you can bet your last shirt that he is Mallu.

No offense, bensb. Infact, if somebody told me that I look Mallu, I would take it as a compliment.
Good to know that my Mallu traits are beginning to show up now. If only i was as enterprising as they usually are.

Biju (got ur name now!), although i did meet you at the meet, still knew you only as SB. Dont ask why, coz i dont have an answer.

Those whom i know by name, i usually refer to them as such on the forum, so long as they are also fine with it, like Travolta for instance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks