Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 10:08   #1
BHPian

Pune: 2 major accidents

this morning two major vehicle accidents have happened.

one on Katraj-Dehu bypass just near to Pashankar Chevrolet.....a baleno is squeezed between two buses...traffic on the road has piled upto arnd 4-5 kms...not aware of the occupants' status

in other accident near Rakshak society (aundh road), a biker is crushed by PMT bus....the rider is no more. May his soul rest in peace.

"keep safe distance...wear helmet...wear seatbelts....drive sensibly"
"a five-minute delay isnt worthy than a wonderful life"

mods: sorry for new thread...pls merge this one here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...a-pics-28.html

Last edited by zakaaaaasss : 24th August 2007 at 10:20.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
one on Katraj-Dehu bypass just near to Pashankar Chevrolet.....a baleno is squeezed between two buses.
That is a two laned road right,even if there is a bike on one lane and a bus on the other it is very difficult for a third vehicle to squeeze in so I don't know how this could happen there seems to be a serious lapse in judgment on the part of one of the drivers.

Or did it happen at the intersection just opposite the Chevrolet showroom,quite a dangerous intersection on a highway and something needs to be done about that.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

it happen just ahead of gm showroom maybe 200 meters towards hinjewadi.

The scene looked like the One Bus was infront in the right lane, the baleno behind it and the third infosys bus was behind baleno.

I assume that the stupid bus driver in the front might have braked hard and given almost no response time to the baleno just behind it and it got a big rear end from the bus coming just behind it
it was quiet a horryfying scene, all i saw was the baleno was into the bus uptill mid of a&b pillar and the baleno boot was completely almost crushed.. Quiet a horrific sandwich. They were loading the injured driver i guess into the ambulance.. I pray that he makes it back.....
Old 24th August 2007, 13:47   #4
BHPian

Why bus driver braking hard is called stupid?

Just now during lunch we were discussing the same thing...
Why dont people keep safe distance, so that if the person in front brakes hard, you still have time to react?

The person in front is not a fool to apply brakes randomly, right?

Anyway, that accident made me decide that my next car would be having air bags. Fuel Eff and Eng refincement be damned! (Honda! Are you hearing me?!?!?!)
Old 24th August 2007, 13:55   #5
BHPian

Why is the bus driver stupid?

Car fella is stupid for not keeping distance at high speeds. And so is the bus driver who was behind baleno.

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00008gl7.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00009xt6.jpg

Anyway, my next car would be having air bags for sure...
(Honda! Are you listening?!)
Old 24th August 2007, 14:10   #6
BHPian

Pictures of the Baleno Accident

Here are pictures of the accident this morning of the Baleno and 2 buses. (taken by someone from my company)

Heard that the Baleno driver is fine and escaped with minor scratches.

That stretch of road is pretty good and people generally drive quite fast.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Let me speculate a bit. From the pics, it appears that the Baleno was overtaking or in the process of overtaking the both the buses, failed midway and tried to squeeze in. Doesnt look like both bus drivers fault at all.. the 2nd bus did allow for enough braking distance from the 1st bus...

I use the highway for the commute to office (not in Hinjewadi). Luckily, I join the highway from Baner road, so missed the jam that must have built up.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:37   #8
BHPian

I'm posting an eye-witness account from 2 of the travelers in the front bus - so that we actually know what happened. For anonymity, the source is not named.

Report 1:
"The driver of the front bus had to stop since there were two cars ahead which stopped abruptly. The front bus was maintaining safe distance with those cars which is why no one in the front bus felt a jerk when Bus came to halt.

Not sure if there was any fault of the car driver whose car got banged but there was absolutely no fault of the driver of the front bus.

I was in front bus and saw what happened between the two cars ahead of us. Apparently they had a row over something because of which one of the car tried to block the way of other. They had almost started fighting when they heard the bang of accident and flew away from the scene."

Report 2:
"I was in the front bus which met with the accident on highway today morning. The Esteem got sandwiched between the 2 buses. The front of the car got inside the back of our bus and got further pushed in by the dash from the rear bus behind. The car was half way inside our bus. Luckily the car wreckage did not hurt the driver sitting inside and he was very lucky that he got out with a minimal scratch on his hand. "

Old 24th August 2007, 15:50   #9
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Why bus driver braking hard is called stupid?

Just now during lunch we were discussing the same thing...
Why dont people keep safe distance, so that if the person in front brakes hard, you still have time to react?

The person in front is not a fool to apply brakes randomly, right?
Bus drivers are usually stupid because they try to drive fast on narrow, traffic-filled roads and frequently brake hard at each and every obstacle they run into. You would think it is much better for them to maintain a more steady pace and let faster cars pass safely, but they seem to think differently. That said, I have no idea what caused this specific accident.

The Baleno driver must surely take the blame for not anticipating the problem. Note that I don't blame the Baleno guy for not maintaining distance; how can you do that when you need to overtake frequently? The key is correct anticipation, for which the positioning of the following vehicle is also important; as far as possible, one should try to follow in a staggered manner, so that one can see ahead of the vehicle in front and get some breathing room if the guy brakes unexpectely. A smaller, maneuverable car also helps.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Bus drivers are usually stupid because they try to drive fast on narrow, traffic-filled roads and frequently brake hard at each and every obstacle they run into. You would think it is much better for them to maintain a more steady pace and let faster cars pass safely, but they seem to think differently. That said, I have no idea what caused this specific accident.
Sir, drive a bus and you'd know the reason of such kind of driving.

OT: Subscrive nice signature but quite stupid.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think bus drivers are much worse than the truck guys,the truckers[ok not all but most] atleast let you pass by moving over to the left when they are in a position to do so,but it would be a miracle if you find a bus driver doing the same.

The bus drivers just do not let other cars pass forward,you have to overtake from the left only[in case of a four laned road],such overtaking proves to be dangerous most of the time because all of a sudden you realise there is an obstruction on the left and you have to veer back into the right lane which leaves you at the mercy of the vehicles behind in the right lane.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 24th August 2007 at 16:00.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:59   #12
BHPian

am with RKS.
No matter how the accident happened, its impractical to maintain a good distance between vehicle in front, especially given the traffic and peoples mentality of driving here.

What if the Baleno guy did have a space from the front bus, but noticed that the bus behind him is fast and not braking resulting in him going closer to the first bus... whatever happened, its heartening to know the driver escaped with minor scratches.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:05   #13
BHPian

I think one of the reasons the Baleno got pushed under the bus, is that the rear bumper on the front bus is pretty high. (see pics above)

Isn't there is a law which requires all buses/trucks to have a low rear bumper (at a certain height from ground level). That would have perhaps allowed the Baleno's crumple zones to take a majority of the impact.

Last edited by cypher : 24th August 2007 at 16:25.
Old 24th August 2007, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Isn't there is a law which requires all buses/trucks to have a low rear bumper (at a certain height from ground level). That would have perhaps allowed the Baleno's crumple zones to take a majority of the impact.
i guess the law is applicable to trucks/lorries/dumpers....you can see most of these vehicles have a horizontal bar below the tail lights.

these locally made/altered bus bodies mostly have their back ends open ( ) allowing smaller things to enter easily
Old 24th August 2007, 17:49   #15
BHPian

Yes. Understood that it's hard to maintain safe distance in city or on ring roads but you can not leave your safety in other's hand. And if you do for whatever reason, there is no one to blame but you. PERIOD.

PS: Those who blame bus or truck drivers, try driving those big, wide and heavy vehicle, you'll know their perspective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks