Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 15:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

TN cars are harassed in KA. But,not vice versa.
We're good hosts.
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
We're good hosts.

Very true. We folks are a lot more accommodating. (Since we also have the place to accomodate).
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:48   #33
BHPian

Drove GJ registered Maruti 800 for 1.5 years in Pune(MH) and more that 2 years in Bangalore(KA). Only got caught once in Pune on Nagar Road that is soon after I arrived there. Settled it for 100 Rs. Traffic constable was very helpful and told me that he spotted my car because of old color combination on number plate that is black background and while numbers. He suggested me that I should just change it for 20 - 30 Rs and need not bother about outside registration number plate while in Pune. Changed it and never got caught then after; neither on highways nor inside of the either city.

With my Kinetic Honda, same thing had happened in Pune. Cop caught me once, paid him Chai Pani money and he advised me to change number plate color scheme. Wohooolla...

Some tips that can help:
1. Avoid driving on left hand side of the road. Remain in 1st or 2nd lane.
2. Drive confidently. If cop looks at you, don't feel guilty and maintain eye contact with him. My encounter with cops happened hundreds of time near Symbiosis college at the beginning of Senapati Bapat Road and near bridge at Koregaun Park or Nagar Road in Pune. Same repeated in Bangalore at JP Nagar on inner ring road on the way from Banashankari to Banergatta Road and on KH Road (Double Road) near Shantinagar Bus stop. Came out fine every single time.
3. Avoid braking rules b'case once you get caught, he'll pull you for registration thing and jack up the settlement rate. And if you indeed get caught, don't be apologetic and speak straight that it's impractical to get the car transferred every time you move from one city to another. Ask him upfront that what it will take to let you go and once you pay money, ask for advice to avoid getting caught in future. Cops are generally nice people.

Let me admit. It does give stress at times for the fear of getting caught especially if you are on the way to finish some critical work and couldn’t afford to waste time arguing with cop. Having a resolve that even if I get caught, I shall be able to settle it down for 100 or 200 bucks gives some relief. When I sold my 800 in Bangalore previous year, I had to anyway transfer it to KA. Albeit, all hassles were taken care by the buyer (middleman) and I just paid for it. So in such scenario, it better make sense transfer early.

Also note that 2 wheeler are prone to get caught more often. Also PUC or Petrol receipt won't help there as it's impossible that one could drive a 2 wheeler from Gujarat to Karnataka.

Last edited by nispatel : 2nd September 2007 at 12:50.
Old 2nd September 2007, 14:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to India My friend. Always keep 100Rs handy. if you try even 50, you re insulting the guy and it could get worse.

Other way out. Act very cool and tell him you know the law sternly and walk off to make a call, just before you walk off make sure you he sees you reading his name badge. It worked once for me on the highway. However I dont try that for my TN bike in Bangalore.
Old 7th October 2007, 18:49   #35
BHPian

TN Bike in Bangalore

I have TN registered bike in Bangalore. Since 2003 I am using it here, I have paid the Road Tax 2000+ Rs. (it is a 2001 model) and using it here.

Now if any cop catches me, he is insisting me to pay 100Rs fine for not changing the registration. I do not want to change registration as I need to spend another 2000Rs. as bribe for that process.

Is this law to say that I need to change registration even after paying road tax?

I do not know when I will be transferred back to TN.
Old 8th October 2007, 10:15   #36
knp
BHPian

am also having TN registered car and would like to know the details of getting the registration changed to KA.
I would prefer to change my number also KA.
Would someone pls give me the details like how much it cost to do the complete registration change to KA and any agencies, who could assist?

Old 8th October 2007, 10:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

ha ha, they always find a way dont they!!!

Yes, its mandatory to change registration after 12 months, you can be challaned for driving an out of state vehicle for Rs 100/- under section 47 read with section 177 of under MV act, so you need to negotiate for Rs. 50/-.

Usually they let go, but some might try to make use out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Now if any cop catches me, he is insisting me to pay 100Rs fine for not changing the registration. I do not want to change registration as I need to spend another 2000Rs. as bribe for that process.

Is this law to say that I need to change registration even after paying road tax?
For deposit of Road tax you can now do it at Bangalore One centres. Then if you know kannada, you can get it done within few days with a bit of hassle.

If you want to get it done by agents better to catch hold of some nearby driving school, they usually do the RTO work too. Dont get caught at the RTO with those make s hift agents, people have reported them fleeing with your money and documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
am also having TN registered car and would like to know the details of getting the registration changed to KA.
I would prefer to change my number also KA.
Would someone pls give me the details like how much it cost to do the complete registration change to KA and any agencies, who could assist?

Old 8th October 2007, 11:12   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If you want to get it done by agents better to catch hold of some nearby driving school, they usually do the RTO work too. Dont get caught at the RTO with those make shift agents, people have reported them fleeing with your money and documents.
I strongly advocate the point marked in bold. Stay away from these guys.
Old 8th October 2007, 11:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Join the AASI and let them handle it.
Old 8th October 2007, 13:54   #40

http://rto.kar.nic.in/sec200-fine.htm

Hope this helps.. Take a print out of this page and carry with you.. :-)
Old 14th October 2007, 13:18   #41
BHPian

Is it not a right time for the central government removes this old age rules and make life of normal men easy? Why can not collect a road tax which is applicable to drive in any State?
Old 14th October 2007, 14:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I have TN registered bike in Bangalore. Since 2003 I am using it here, I have paid the Road Tax 2000+ Rs. (it is a 2001 model) and using it here.

I do not know when I will be transferred back to TN.
Even I am driving my KL regd bike here since 2004 after just paying the Road Tax. I have never been fined for not changing the regn (Touchwood). It does help that KL and KA are not easily distinguished from a distance

My two cents:
Avoid breaking rules and keep very less amount in your wallet. Once when I was in college, I was stopped by a cop for not having PUC. He said, I'd have to pay a fine of 300 Rs. Luckily I just had 10 bucks in my wallet (The rest was safely in my pocket). Showed the wallet to him, he made some funny comment about driving with just 10 Rs and let me go with just a warning .

One final piece of advice:
Be polite, and try to talk your way out of it. Most of the cops are actually nice people. They are just trying to make some quick buck. If they realize that the scope for it is slim, they'll simply let you go. Else, there is always our Gandhigi to help you.

- Jag
Old 14th October 2007, 15:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We're good hosts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Very true. We folks are a lot more accommodating. (Since we also have the place to accomodate).
You should sometime visit Hyderabad then.

From the past 2 years, the only KA vehicles I've got here are an RX135 and a friend's Swift. The cops used to catch my bike at almost every traffic signal, for that matter in every turn or corner. I got so frustrated, that I sent the bike back.

When my friend and I were traveling in his Swift, the cops caught us at around 12 in the night (It was the drunken-driving squad I guess). When asked for NOC and road tax, my friend mentioned that he got the car here only for a month's use. The cops never agreed, we tried to bribe, but in vain (Monthly targets? ) The cops are worse here - they speak rudely and harass for no reason. They finally seized the vehicle and we returned home in an autorickshaw. My friend ended up paying a fine in court for offences never committed, including overspeeding, talking to a policeman rudely etc.

Why can't we have one rule and one centralized road tax system? I see so many AP vehicles in Karnataka - wonder how they manage it.
Old 14th October 2007, 18:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We're good hosts.
but AP cars are harassed big time why the partality?
Old 14th October 2007, 20:33   #45
BHPian

My 2 cents

Folks,
If you are an outsider, and want to stay longer period in Bangalore, make sure you write your number plate in KANNADA language(Same number for sure!!!). Almost 90% of the cops will leave a kannada written number plate just by looking at the document but without reading it fully. They are all patriotic that way!!!
Never bother paying life tax and this number plate witting will cost you ~Rs 200 only.
Please comment if anybody else have done this and get along well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks