Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 10:52   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Rockste... Absolutely buddy, if anything the Bangalore cops are nicer they ask for only the tax to be paid, here in hyderabad they want to fleece you for NOC, PUC, etc etc.
When did you last visit Bangalore on an out-of-state vehicle, my friend?
A lot has changed, and i am not talking about the Bangalore skyline alone.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

An attested photocopy from a gazetted officer is acceptable, otherwise they make excuses for bribing them.

I had been in a situation wherein the stamp and sign were in black ink and the policemen refused to accept is as stamped, saying its a photocopy of the original stamped copy payed him INR100 finally. So ascertain that the stamp/sign are in blue ink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaygv View Post
That was the exact question that I had i mind as well, am about to do and intersate trip, covering 3 states, any light shed on this would be great.
Old 18th December 2007, 17:59   #63
Team-BHP Support

Today, at a traffic light, an old inspector politely introduces himselft and say

"bombay vehicle"

" applying for NOC and next week ax will be paid"

He tells me to roll up window. Then taps window and points indicating to stop after the traffic light.

Follow him and stop

"Tomorrow - come to my office and pay Rs 42000 penalty"

" I tell him car has been here for only two weeks and I will prove it"

" Pay Rs 1800 fine"

He starts getting hasty and jittery - traffic cops in the distance.

I look at him with a "what rubbish expression"

"Give me something"

Slowly take out my wallet and fumble

"Hurry sir, please!"

I crumple a Rs 50 note shove it in his hand

"Don't do it again"

On hindsight, he was small fry making a quick buck. I should have turned right instead of following him....or taken a photo or asked for proper ID.

Maybe I should stop using the car till the papers come through (NOC approval has come through just waiting for the paperwork to be processed)
Old 18th December 2007, 18:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
is it possible to pay tax for 1 year / 2 years and drive in a different state without changing the regn number....

my car is originally a KL reg vehicle - when i got transferred to TN - and since the company was bearing all costs - i got it registered in TN with a TN number...

now im changing jobs and heading up north to GURGAON - i personally dont want to bear the cost of the transfer

can u still legally drive the vehicle in Gurgaon with a TN number by paying a nominal tax ???
Incidently, you wouldn't be troubled too much in gurgaon, untill unless you hit someone.

haryana/delhi thula's are least cared about outstation cars.

Drive Safe...

Regards
Sam
Old 18th December 2007, 22:39   #65
Team-BHP Support

You paid 50rs.
I once paid a cop 10rs.
He was shocked, and speechless, and felt very insulted. I felt very happy smiled at him mockingly and drove away on my fiero before he could react.
But those were my young days
Old 18th December 2007, 23:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You paid 50rs.
I once paid a cop 10rs.
He was shocked, and speechless, and felt very insulted. I felt very happy smiled at him mockingly and drove away on my fiero before he could react.
But those were my young days
Hahah..Rs 10?? Now thats a steal..
My cousin got stopped on MG road once,and he all he had was Rs 5. He took the note,and handed it to the constable. Mr Constable looks at him in disgust, takes out Rs 10 and hands it to my cousin,asking him to keep more cash where ever he goes.

Old 19th December 2007, 09:33   #67
Team-BHP Support

Remeber this joke?
"A guy is sitting a a bar and eyes a hot woman. He asks her 'would you sleep with me for 1 million $?' She looks a little offended, but then agrees. Then he says 'how about 100,000$ only'. She says okay. As they are about to leave he says '1000$?' She is offended and wants to abuse him but agrees. Next he offers her 100$. She rudely asks him 'what do you think I am!?' He says 'well what you are is decided, we are just haggling for price"

Same is with these cops. Once they ask for bribe they are beggars. So then you haggle for price. Even if you give 10rs he can't do a think unless there is a challan book in his hand.
Old 31st December 2007, 13:51   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

"Tomorrow - come to my office and pay Rs 42000 penalty"

" I tell him car has been here for only two weeks and I will prove it"

" Pay Rs 1800 fine"
Finally got all my papers and went to the AASI. Was narrating my tale and was told that the most an RTO can do is challan you to pay road tax assuming they have evidence that you have been in Bangalore for an event in time. The penalty if any i 1% of the road tax/ month dealy.

All this Rs 42000 fine is nonsense!
Old 31st December 2007, 14:41   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Okay I found the CMV for number plates act as below:

The emphasis on Arabic numerals is because that is what the “English numbers” are called. The Arabic numerals are widely used across the world because Roman numerals are too complicated for the common man in the street to understand.
Agreed. Apparently the Maharashtra Govt. went to the HC thrice (or was it four times) asking for Marathi plates to be permitted. They were rebuffed every time.

Incidentally, in UP most Govt. vehicles have number plates in Devanagri (both text and numbers) so are all illegal as per the law of the land.

-------------------------------
In the North I have driven through MP, Rajasthan, Delhi, and Haryana with UP plates and have never been stopped. The only time I saw a bit of problem was when driving through Rajasthan in a taxi who had not paid Rajasthan taxes (apparently Taxi's need state specific permits as well).
Old 31st December 2007, 16:33   #70
BHPian

Guys,

I simply am not able to understand this concept of state to state thingy. Why cant we just drive our car to where ever we want within our own country? If the state where we are in wants money for R&B, thenwhy cant they just introduce a system of having to pay an entry tax when entering the border and make it valid for a specific number of days within the state?

My question is, if I have to pay taxes in another state for using their roads for a few days, then am I not eligible to receive a refund from my home state for the same number of days? After all, I have paid taxes to use the roads there, but I am not using it. Alternately, isn't it the responsiblity of the state where my vehicle is registered to pay taxes to the state where it is being used?

Isn't this double jeopardy of sorts? Why do I have to pay taxes two times to use the same facility, albeit in another state?

I guess it will take a lot of public pressure and maybe a few PIL to correct this.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 31st December 2007, 17:10   #71
BHPian

Any one has any idea what the formalities are for bringing an out of state car into Mumbai? I plan to bring over an old Swift from my hometown in Punjab and use it here. Any ideas on whether cops in Mumbai hassle you over this? Also, what the costs involved would be to transfer the vehicle? Some of my colleagues have been driving out of state vehicles in the city for a few years, but would prefer not to take any chances.
Old 31st December 2007, 18:21   #72
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Finally got all my papers and went to the AASI. Was narrating my tale and was told that the most an RTO can do is challan you to pay road tax assuming they have evidence that you have been in Bangalore for an event in time. The penalty if any i 1% of the road tax/ month dealy.

All this Rs 42000 fine is nonsense!

Usefull info mate.... I still get on my nerves if i recollect how that RTO officer was talking nonsense to me. He said he will seize my vehicle at that spot if i dont pay the tax.... Is it possible ? Is there any law which gives them the authority of confiscating the car without any charges/notice ?
Old 31st December 2007, 21:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

My question is, if I have to pay taxes in another state for using their roads for a few days, then am I not eligible to receive a refund from my home state for the same number of days?
Yes. Officially, you can claim your Tax paid from the home state. But some percentage would be deducted officially... and balance would be paid by you for getting this deducted amount

In the end, you will not gain anything. Atleast, if you keep that tax you can anytime return to your home state in future. I think so....
Old 1st January 2008, 11:44   #74
BANNED

Quote:
I simply am not able to understand this concept of state to state thingy. Why cant we just drive our car to where ever we want within our own country? If the state where we are in wants money for R&B, then why cant they just introduce a system of having to pay an entry tax when entering the border and make it valid for a specific number of days within the state?
This is exactly what happens to commercial vehicles who do not have the permit for that state,

Quote:
My question is, if I have to pay taxes in another state for using their roads for a few days, then am I not eligible to receive a refund from my home state for the same number of days? After all, I have paid taxes to use the roads there, but I am not using it. Alternately, isn't it the responsibility of the state where my vehicle is registered to pay taxes to the state where it is being used?

Isn't this double jeopardy of sorts? Why do I have to pay taxes two times to use the same facility, albeit in another state?
There was a proposal (NDA days) to automatically give credit of the tax paid in one state when transferring to another. Nothing has come of it since.

I am sure this hurts service officers who routinely get moved from State to State the most.

Today why can not the RTOs of all states be on-line to each other, or better still the databases of all the states linked into a single database. Only then will we have a single country, and all this ancient rubbish of registrations when moving etc. can be done away with.

Obviously our babus, netas, and police wallahs will oppose ity tooth and nail.
Old 25th January 2008, 16:59   #75
BHPian

You need to carry the original RC book + LTT, Insurance, PUC and DL always as per AASI. Generally within same state they accept photocopies (except DL which is always in original)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks